•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bortle 7 Milky Way possible with NVD

NV
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Central Valley, Ca

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:54 PM

Hey CN NVDers, it's been a while but I have been lurking in the background while on extended spring break Lol... I managed to jump on the TV 55mm Plossl to 67mm Converter before it got bought up, should come next week waytogo.gif 

To my post, the Milky Way is up now and is it possible to see it with the MOD3C in my Bortle 7 skies?  If yes, what is the best way to view it (besides a dark site Lol).... filters, scope, SLR lens???

Hope you guys are staying healthy and doing well cool.gif

#2 Sky King

Sky King

Vostok 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:24 PM

Hi, Here's a approach from Bortle 7 or so you might like to try imaging it. Clear skies!

#3 Mazerski

Mazerski

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:43 PM

My sky is Bortle 7 or 8. 
To see MW, I use Mod3 with Nikon adapter and:

== Nikon 43-86mm zoom lens f/3.5 and

== Nikon135mm f/2.8 with

== Astronomik 642 nm IR filter 

The 642nm shows the MW best out of other filters (610, 685nm IR) (6, 7, 12nm Ha)

Note: the 610nm IR with fast lens allows too much light in and results in loss of contrast. 

Edited by Mazerski, 25 June 2020 - 01:45 PM.

• gozer and Sky King like this

#4 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:51 PM

With a 685nm and scanning about you can see which part of the sky is “filthy with stars”, with respect to other bits. Hiding from the local streetlight I was pleasantly surprised I could see the scutum star cloud quite nicely..... living up north we do to get to see Too far south where the nebulous star clouds reside.

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:06 PM

Hey CN NVDers, it's been a while but I have been lurking in the background while on extended spring break Lol... I managed to jump on the TV 55mm Plossl to 67mm Converter before it got bought up, should come next week waytogo.gif

To my post, the Milky Way is up now and is it possible to see it with the MOD3C in my Bortle 7 skies?  If yes, what is the best way to view it (besides a dark site Lol).... filters, scope, SLR lens???

Hope you guys are staying healthy and doing well cool.gif

My home skies are Bortle 7/8/9 (It varies with sky conditions and dust levels).  Weather permitting, I can see the Milky Way quite easily from my home.  I would say that it is better from my house using NV than it is using naked eye under Bortle 2/3.  It has a striking amount of structure.

I use 1x, 3x, 6x and 8x lenses.  The MW itself is quite broad and the 1x gives the best view of the width of the width of the disk and the Great Rift).   3x is good for some of the larger scale dust inclusions (the pipe nebula) and the denser star fields. 6x And 8X are good for looking closer and many of the dark nebula.   While most observers tend to ignore dark nebula, they are a real feat in NV.

I use a 650nm (Lumicon Deep Sky I think). 

Under darker skies, I don't use any filter but essential under Bortle 7/8/9.  Under Bortle 9, A 690nm is probably the one to reach for.

• simoneb likes this

#6 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Central Valley, Ca

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:27 AM

Finally got around to getting a few Milky Way shots, I was thrilled to see it in my backyard with the NV monocular!

35mm f/2 SLR lens with a 610nm long pass filter, Nitecap 1/4s exp for 2s hand held iPhone shots, using the Paralelogram mount, a little crop and contrast adjust in Pixinsight.

First image had the best structure, second image shows my neighbors palm tree and how low the elevation was for the shots.

RtyS416l.jpg

sTOcUKbl.jpg

• Starman27, gozer, Sky King and 1 other like this

#7 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:46 AM

Was out after Neowise recently, but also spent sometime pulling out nebulous areas out the southern Milky Way at 1x/3x with a 680nm long pass filter. Skies no better that mag18.5 or so, nothing special. “Discovered” B312, normally I easily see the scutum star could and the two bright puffs above it, don’t get many chances to see much further south. I found that panning about and careful focus of the objective and eyepiece helped, otherwise some “fixed pattern”’on the screen made subtle features harder to see. Comet was great too!

Peter

#8 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:53 AM

Finally got around to getting a few Milky Way shots, I was thrilled to see it in my backyard with the NV monocular!

35mm f/2 SLR lens with a 610nm long pass filter, Nitecap 1/4s exp for 2s hand held iPhone shots, using the Paralelogram mount, a little crop and contrast adjust in Pixinsight.

First image had the best structure, second image shows my neighbors palm tree and how low the elevation was for the shots.

RtyS416l.jpg

sTOcUKbl.jpg

Congratulations!  Yeah, it is easy in Bortle 7 skies as long as you are not under a low transparency dome of dust or air pollution.  Some nights I have haze or dust, but the MW is typically visible, but some nights I very good transparency and even in my Bortle 8 skies, MW is rich with detail.

Kick up to a 200mm lens for some dark nebula exploration.  There is a lot to see in the MW at low powers.

Very happy to hear that it was visible for you but I think we would all have been surprised if it were not. 

• Starman27 and Peregrinatum like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics