•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TOWA 305 - help in setting up

equipment
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DaleA

DaleA

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:40 PM

Hi everyone

Been advised to post in this group....

I have recently moved to a location with good views of the shipping channel into Brisbane (Queensland, Australia).   As a result I purchased an old Towa 305 telescope (it is branded a Topic  but I am fairly confident it is a TOWA under another name) from a deceased estate as having a vintage telescope appealed to me for viewing the boats coming in (rather than just buying a new one).

I realised quite quickly that I don't have all the pieces but think I might have just enough to get the scope working.

My question is;  Is there anyone on this site that is close to the Sunshine Coast that could give me some advice on if I have enough pieces to get the scope to work and secondly if so how do I set it up?  

I have read the other posts on this forum regarding this but still a bit confused about what lens goes where etc.  (I have no experiences with telescopes at all sorry).

Thanks

Dale

• Van Do9:3 likes this

#2 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:15 PM

Hi everyone

Been advised to post in this group....

I have recently moved to a location with good views of the shipping channel into Brisbane (Queensland, Australia).   As a result I purchased an old Towa 305 telescope (it is branded a Topic  but I am fairly confident it is a TOWA under another name) from a deceased estate as having a vintage telescope appealed to me for viewing the boats coming in (rather than just buying a new one).

I realised quite quickly that I don't have all the pieces but think I might have just enough to get the scope working.

My question is;  Is there anyone on this site that is close to the Sunshine Coast that could give me some advice on if I have enough pieces to get the scope to work and secondly if so how do I set it up?  

I have read the other posts on this forum regarding this but still a bit confused about what lens goes where etc.  (I have no experiences with telescopes at all sorry).

Thanks

Dale

This link to a Sear branded Towa should get you started and show what typically comes with your scope. I believe they are basically the same model with small cosmetic differences depending on the year.

https://wiki.telesco...cope_Manual.pdf

#3 Van Do9:3

Van Do9:3

Ranger 4

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:31 PM

Dale,

Congrats on your classic Topic telescope, and welcome to the Classics forum. Many knowledgeable and friendly folks in the community to assist you. Please post photos when you get a chance. 

My

#4 smyths77

smyths77

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:04 AM

Hi,

Just put up some photos of what you have. People on this site will readily assist you.

I do live in Brisbane and could assist if you still are unsure of a few things.

Sometimes you can get modern equivalent parts to any old missing parts - particularly eyepieces and diagonals.

Stuart

#5 DaleA

DaleA

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:43 AM

Hi

Thanks for the feedback.   I have attached 2 photos that show the relevant pieces I have.   I do have the 3 glass loose lenses in the photo but not sure whether they go in the spotter scope or the actual telescope...Also not sure which way they go, convex or concave facing which way?   Pretty basic questions I know but I am coming from a zero base. 

Thanks  Dale

Attached Thumbnails

• Towa 305 Piecesa.jpg
  • Towa 305 Lensd.jpg

#6 Van Do9:3

Ranger 4

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:41 AM

Dale,

Thanks for posting the pictures and please feel free to ask lots of questions. First, the diagonal is incorrectly inserted into the porro prism. The diagonal is the piece with the 45 degree black elbow. Loosen the thumb screw holding the diagonal in the porro prism and remove the diagonal. 

The star prism diagonal:

E9EAC475-FDB5-439C-AA96-8319D13DD33B.jpeg

The porro or erecting prism diagonal for terrestrial viewing:
0D22C659-A378-453D-9807-17FE27EF321D.jpeg

Next, looks like most of your finder scope components are there. Here is a picture diagram of how the finder scope components should go together.

A66A4364-C6CE-41B0-9ACA-D3328BEEE836.jpeg

Unscrew the dark blue cap from the finder scope tube. Insert the large lens into the back of the cap with the convex side facing the sky or away from the viewing end. Reattach the cap with the lens onto the finder scope tube.

Inside the chrome tube next to the black bushing in your second photo, you should feel a tiny lip or raised edge just past the female threads. This is a retainer that holds the medium lens in place. Insert thee medium lens into the chrome tube with the internal retainer. The convex side of the medium lens again should face towards the sky. Then insert the black bushing tube into the chrome tube. This holds the medium lens in place. Next, take the black eye piece with the 6x30mm label and screw that onto the chrome tube where you inserted the lens and the bushing tube.

The final step in assembling the finder scope is to insert the 6x30mm eyepiece we just put together into the compression fitting of the finder scope.  The back end of the finder scope has a T slit in it. This is the compression fitting that holds the 6x30mm eye piece in place without screws. And it allows the eyepiece to be pulled out or pushed in to focus when you look through the finder scope. 

Hope this gets you started. 

My

#7 DaleA

DaleA

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:31 PM

Thanks very much for the detailed explanations My.

I will have a go tonight and change as you have suggested.   As a complete beginner i am happy to be told I have got it completely wrong!!  

Thanks again

Dale

#8 Van Do9:3

Ranger 4

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:32 PM

Dale,

No worries, we all started out like an empty tea cup. It’s the excitement, curiosity, and willingness to learn that keeps us going. Hope it works out well. 

My

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics