•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Virtual Moon Atlas Version 7

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 Patrick Chevalley

Patrick Chevalley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:43 AM

The way to get a list of domes or other specific features is to use the Datlun module. You can start this module from the main launcher or using the Datlun button on the top bar.

This give you a database style interface where you can run simple or complex queries and then mark the result on the map.

For more details see the included documentation or directly: https://www.ap-i.net...Doc_DatLun.html

Unfortunately the Windows 10 dark mode do not set the color of the classic application, only the applet color.

The screenshot in the documentation was done using the Windows high contrast dark theme you can set from Windows Settings, Personalization, scroll and click "High contrast settings", check "Turn on high contrast" , select one of the theme in the selection box, if you not like one of the color you can change it just below.

Patrick

Edited by Patrick Chevalley, 04 July 2020 - 08:45 AM.

#27 catalogman

catalogman

Apollo

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:09 PM

Is there no longer a native Linux version? The only reference to Linux I found requires WINE.

Oleg reports that both programs now work correctly in Linux with locked packages:

https://www.cloudyni...ux”/?p=10347635

-- catalogman

Edited by catalogman, 19 July 2020 - 01:34 AM.

#28 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:29 PM

I just installed it on my Windows 8 PC.  When I opened AtLun nothing would highlight or show labels on the Moon.  I then opened DatLun and this seemed to load the databases so features would highlight and info come up, but it could not load them all crashing when it came to 7_Robbins_Unnammed_formations_EN.csv.  When I go to configuration and the database tab, no databases show.  So only half works.  I downloaded and installed everything except the extra translations.

temp.jpg

Edited by BillP, 19 July 2020 - 08:06 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

#29 vikingrc

vikingrc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:52 AM

I have similar problem I have no labels showing also yes I clicked on labels even tried changing colors nothing. Windows 10 not another problem? I also have no date base loaded?

Edited by vikingrc, 28 July 2020 - 02:53 PM.

#30 vikingrc

vikingrc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:53 AM

I went to the library downloaded the whole package again and reinstalled and same result no databases no labels thinking it could be laptop tried desktop same result.
It appears to be hanging up on the above mentioned databases from BillP post and screen shot. The previous version works fine on both machines. Put enough time in this stick with old version.
  • BFaucett likes this

#31 Patrick Chevalley

Patrick Chevalley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:34 AM

Hi,

Sorry you have issue with the database loading.

The Robbins database is very large, it add 1.3 million entries to the database so this can take some time depending principally of the computer disk speed.

From my testing it is quick with a SSD but take about 3 minutes with a 7200rpm hard drive.  Maybe it can take the double with a 5400rpm.

But this database is not active by default so do not check it if using a slow computer.

If you cannot get it loaded on your computer a radical solution to be sure this database is never loaded is to move elsewhere the file C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualMoon\Database\7_Robbins_Unnamed_formations_EN.csv

Patrick

#32 vikingrc

vikingrc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:47 AM

Patrick Thank you for the reply
My computer is Computer Intel Core i5 3.1-GHz, 8 gb Ram, 1 TB windows 10 destop should be up to the task. I did wait on the install as the files are large as I noticed the laptop was slow loading the Robbins databases
It did seem to load but no databases we're
Showed in configuration window on both computers. Which seems to be main problem. No labels are another problem.
I have previous version which work very well and databases are shown.
I downloaded the files twice they should be fine. I will try your suggestion.

Edited by vikingrc, 31 July 2020 - 08:49 AM.

#33 Patrick Chevalley

Patrick Chevalley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:05 AM

The labels are taken from the database so it is expected you have no labels if the database fail to load.

If you try the V7 again, please look in directory %LOCALAPPDATA%\virtualmoon\database for a file named database_journal.txt

Send me this file by private email or open a bug report at the link indicated on the main page.

#34 BSJ

BSJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: VT

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:47 PM

Ugh. No go for me too. No labels. Freezes for a few seconds before anything happens. Can't zoom. etc.

Uninstalled it and reinstalled 6.1. Now that won't start!

#35 BillP

BillP

ISS

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:30 PM

Hi,

Sorry you have issue with the database loading.

The Robbins database is very large, it add 1.3 million entries to the database so this can take some time depending principally of the computer disk speed.

From my testing it is quick with a SSD but take about 3 minutes with a 7200rpm hard drive.  Maybe it can take the double with a 5400rpm.

But this database is not active by default so do not check it if using a slow computer.

If you cannot get it loaded on your computer a radical solution to be sure this database is never loaded is to move elsewhere the file C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualMoon\Database\7_Robbins_Unnamed_formations_EN.csv

Patrick

SEE MY NEXT POST BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS POST.

OK.  I did that, then ran DatLun and it finished loading the rest of the files ok. 

1. Remember that when I first loaded it I got no labels and no DB in File->Database in AtLun. 

2. I then opened DatLun and once it loaded most of the DBs then the labels appeared, but highlighting unlabeld craters did not work.

3. I then moved the 7_Robbins_Unnamed_formations_EN.csv to a subdirectory and opened DatLun again and it loaded the remaining DBs and now I can click on craters and get information in AtLun.

4. However, when I go to File->Database in AtLun is says the Database is "Malformed" in a popup window, then when I close that window another popup window comes up and tells me to Abort the program or risk DB corruption.

5. When I try to get a pic of something from PicLun, I then get this error...

temp.jpg

BTW, here's my system w/1TB disk...

temp2.jpg

Edited by BillP, 01 August 2020 - 01:04 PM.

#36 BillP

BillP

ISS

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:51 PM

Patrick -- Good news...I got it working!!  Here's what I did:

• Uninstalled v7, then manually deleted the folder in Program Files since uninstall did not remove it (FYI, I named the folder VirtualMoon7 on install instead of the suggested name of VirtualMoon).

• Re-downloaded the virtualmoon-data.exe figuring it might have gotten corrupted because of the 7_Robbins_Unnamed_formations_EN.csv data load issue I had.

• In my previous attempt I loaded the virtualmoon-7.0-windows.exe first, then the rest in no particular order.

• In this install, since the MD5_Sum hyperlink on your website did not download anything but instead just opens a new browser page with info, I decided to run the other exe files in the order shown in the MD5_Sum file:

virtualmoon-7.0-windows.exe
virtualmoon-data.exe
virtualmoon-hires.exe
virtualmoon-picture.exe
virtualmoon-translation.exe (I DID NOT NEED OR LOAD THIS)
virtualmoon-veryhires-change.exe
virtualmoon-veryhires-lolakaguya.exe
virtualmoon-veryhires-lopam.exe
virtualmoon-veryhires-lrowac.exe

• When finished I opened AtLun and all the labels where there this time.  When I went to File->Database menu item the program then loaded all the databases and 7_Robbins_Unnamed_formations_EN.csv loaded successfully without aborting this time (took about 5 minutes).

• So far, everything seems to be working fine now, including PhotLun!

• THANK YOU bow.gif

Edited by BillP, 01 August 2020 - 01:03 PM.

#37 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• Loc: Okanagan, BC

Posted 14 August 2020 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for creating V7.

I see in the DatLun documentation that you can select a predefined lunar category such as "dome" and the location of all domes will appear in AtLun.

I would like to show all of the Wood 100 targets in AtLun.  Can I modify DatLun  creating a new column "Wood Targets", enter a value (perhaps just a 1) for each of the targets then use "Expert mode" to highlight the targets in AtLun?

Or is there a different recommended technique?

#38 Ch. Legrand

Ch. Legrand

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: France

Posted 18 August 2020 - 12:56 AM

Hi Oscar56

The field "Charles Wood" in VMA database contains references of article written by Charles Wood in Sky & Telescope (ST), the pages in in his reference book "The Modern Moon" (MM) and the refrence in his L100 list (L100) for a given formation.

Example : Copernicus contains :

Charles Wood article: ST02/01 MM15 MM47 L100/005

indicating an article in S&T january 2002 issue (Information provided by CW), two pages in "The Modern moon" and number "5" in the L100 list.

DatLun allows you to extract the L100 formations by using the following request in the "File menu" / "Default selection" / "Expert mode" / "SQL request" tab:

WOOD like "%L100%"

which means  : List all formations whose "Charles Wood" field contains the chain "L100".

It will give you the list of the L100 formations included in the VMA database. Note that L1, L2 & L3 are not included because they can't be linked to a specific formation. Some others following also lacks for the same reason.

I recommand you to use the only "Named formations" database for this operation.

I hope this will help you

Thank you for using VMA

Christian

#39 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• Loc: Okanagan, BC

Posted 18 August 2020 - 04:00 PM

Hi Oscar56

The field "Charles Wood" in VMA database contains references of article written by Charles Wood in Sky & Telescope (ST), the pages in in his reference book "The Modern Moon" (MM) and the refrence in his L100 list (L100) for a given formation.

Example : Copernicus contains :

Charles Wood article: ST02/01 MM15 MM47 L100/005

indicating an article in S&T january 2002 issue (Information provided by CW), two pages in "The Modern moon" and number "5" in the L100 list.

DatLun allows you to extract the L100 formations by using the following request in the "File menu" / "Default selection" / "Expert mode" / "SQL request" tab:

WOOD like "%L100%"

which means  : List all formations whose "Charles Wood" field contains the chain "L100".

It will give you the list of the L100 formations included in the VMA database. Note that L1, L2 & L3 are not included because they can't be linked to a specific formation. Some others following also lacks for the same reason.

I recommand you to use the only "Named formations" database for this operation.

I hope this will help you

Thank you for using VMA

Christian

Thanks for the explanation Christian. 

#40 ecorm

ecorm

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Under the Jetstream, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:09 PM

Working great for me so far in Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon under Wine installed from the WineHQ repository.

I still haven't tried installing the extra hi-res textures, but I don't foresee any problems with that.

Thank you and great job!  This is a wonderful tool for astronomers.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics