•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ring Nebula Questar Image

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mtr1

mtr1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:45 AM

Last night I tried to image a very faint target which didn't work out,  but I decided that while I had everything up and running I'd try the Ring.

Ringwm.jpg

I was surprised this morning to realize that the only time I've posted an image of M57 was back in 2014 when I first tried imaging with my Questar.  Here's a download from Flickr, which I use as a helpful catalogue for my finished images (and I keep it in reverse chronological order, most recent images first).

2014 ring.jpg

The new image is a more complicated thing using a mono camera and substituting narrowband HA and O3 layers for the R and B, which sounds complex but probably took me less time to beat into shape than the one-shot-color image from the past.  Obviously I've learned a few things about centering and tracking the target.  But I have to say that while I'm pleased to see that I"ve made some progress, the older one shows that there's really not that much of a learning curve required to use the Questar for brighter targets like this one, especially with a modern planetary cam which can just be plopped into the EP port. 

Regards,

Mauri

• Paul Schroeder, cbwerner, John Noble and 12 others like this

#2 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:07 PM

That's a Great Capture for the "little Q".bow.gif

• TerryWood likes this

#3 RobertPettengill

RobertPettengill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:28 PM

Great job, this is a very familiar image. Here is my shot from 2014. 17 minutes total exposure sure a Sony NEX5N at prime focus. 

15095649492_5d0cae518f_o 2.jpg

• cbwerner, TerryWood, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#4 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• Loc: USA

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:36 PM

Mauri, Rob, these are really nice images! Personally, each post from an imager in this forum acts as a catalyst to get me out under the stars with my Q. It feels like a healthy competition among friends, spurring each other on, and all improving as we go. So, thank you!

V/R

Terry

• Terra Nova and mtr1 like this

#5 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:50 PM

Mauri, Rob - superb images!!! :applause:

#6 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:15 AM

Nice pics, both of you. You can definitely make out the central star!

#7 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:53 AM

Very nice. The Q’s ability continues to surprise me.

#8 mtr1

mtr1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:35 PM

Thanks, all!  Rob's post reminds me of how deeply we started to dive back then into Questar/camera connections and techniques.  I just want to make the case that planetary cameras are not that expensive and they've never been easier to handle.  If you're good at polar aligning your Q and you have ever used it visually for fainter targets like globular clusters, the Ring and Dumbbell Nebulae, you might be surprised by how much you can extend the use of the scope without even employing the axial port.  The recent posts by Loren on his iPhone imaging ("afocal" because you use an EP") and my latest imaging through my EP port ("prime focus" -- no EP) suggest that a bit of experimentation can go a long way -- much further than you think if you haven't messed around with current generation cameras.   My one caveat would be that the tiny chips in planetary cams can make target acquisition a chore.  You have very little margin of error -- it's like keeping the target in the middle of the highest power EP you've ever used.  But there are EP format cameras (eg the QHY 5iii series) which can be placed in the EP port to be confocal with the Q finder, with different chip sizes.  This means you can line up the target as best you want visually, then exchange the cam for the EP, and go to town with those brighter Messiers.  My 174 mono used for the top image is a relatively expensive cam ($600) but there are a few $300 cams which look like they could get you started with Questar EAA and astrophotography with a very modest learning curve. 

• ETXer, TerryWood, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#9 ETXer

ETXer

Viking 1

• Loc: Rockville, MD USA

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:20 PM

... there are a few $300 cams which look like they could get you started with Questar EAA and astrophotography with a very modest learning curve. 

The Revolution Imager 2 films that bill perfectly, I’ve just gotten started using it as described here... if I can do it, it must be easy. wink.gif Nice images by all, they’re something to shoot for!

Edited by ETXer, 29 June 2020 - 05:22 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#10 starblue

starblue

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: St. George, Utah, USA

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:31 AM

Sorry, I must've missed it--what's your setup like and how are you guiding? Is the Questar controlling itself or is it riding on an equatorial mount?

#11 starblue

starblue

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: St. George, Utah, USA

Posted Yesterday, 11:02 PM

OK, I found some information on your flickr site--you're using the PG3 to guide the Q. What are you using for the guidescope?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics