•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My email came in today for AP130

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 snommisbor

snommisbor

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:16 AM

I got an email today and have until July 10th to decide. Anyone else get theirs today. July 2012 was when I got on the list so pretty much 8 years to the month.

• Paul G, Scott in NC, 3 i Guy and 8 others like this

#2 t.r.

t.r.

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:20 AM

Don’t cave now...get it! You very well may be getting one of the last scopes RC will touch

Edited by t.r., 26 June 2020 - 11:21 AM.

• Paul G, 3 i Guy, BRCoz and 5 others like this

#3 siriusandthepup

siriusandthepup

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:27 AM

Don’t cave now...get it! You very well may be getting one of the last scopes RC will touch

+1

The rest of your life is a long time to regret not getting it.

• Paul G, 3 i Guy, BRCoz and 2 others like this

#4 sunrag

sunrag

Mariner 2

• Loc: Carmel, Indiana

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:38 AM

Wow! That is a long time to wait.

#5 sunrag

sunrag

Mariner 2

• Loc: Carmel, Indiana

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:40 AM

If it really that long to wait, you can buy and resell it for profit.

#6 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:08 PM

Great scope - and better than $$$ in the bank.  

M11Mike 

#7 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:13 PM

Just happened to compare some images taken with my 10 year old TV127is with a new AP130 and the AP results just blew the Televue away. There is some secret sauce at work here. I'm sorry I never got on the list back in the day.

Rgrds-Ross

• 3 i Guy likes this

#8 Keith NC

Keith NC

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Guilford County North Carolina

Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:07 PM

That scope is indeed worth the wait.  At least it was for me

congratulations

• Paul Hyndman and 3 i Guy like this

#9 Blueox4

Blueox4

Viking 1

• Loc: Upstate New York

Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:11 PM

You don’t want to regret not getting it the rest of your life. Pull the trigger. 

• Paul G, Paul Hyndman and 3 i Guy like this

#10 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:16 PM

Not too big. Not too small. Just right.

Seriously, an easily managed yet capable size.

Clear skies, Alan

• Paul G, Paul Hyndman, 3 i Guy and 2 others like this

#11 snommisbor

snommisbor

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:47 PM

Not too big. Not too small. Just right.

Seriously, an easily managed yet capable size.

Clear skies, Alan

Yep it is pretty small. My buddy has one and I was amazed at how small it is. I use my TEC 160ED like a grab n go this will feel like my 80.

• Paul Morow likes this

#12 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Ranger 4

• Loc: Owensboro, KY

Posted 26 June 2020 - 03:29 PM

The decision is yours. But I was on the AP website last night and they said that they weren't taking any more names for their waiting list. So if I had the money, I would get it. I received an email from them a few years ago, my name came up. But I didn't have the money. I regretted that ever since. I should have sold my first born to get it. undecided.gif

• 3 i Guy, turtle86 and eros312 like this

#13 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:14 PM

Just happened to compare some images taken with my 10 year old TV127is with a new AP130 and the AP results just blew the Televue away. There is some secret sauce at work here. I'm sorry I never got on the list back in the day.

Rgrds-Ross

Interested in sharing these pics?

#14 OldManSky

OldManSky

Soyuz

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:22 PM

Congrats.  8 years is a long wait.

By the way, if you decide you don't want it, let me know -- I'll take it :)

#15 andysea

andysea

Soyuz

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:01 PM

I got my email today as well. Already put down the deposit. I got on the list April 2012. 

• Paul G, Paul Hyndman, R Botero and 5 others like this

#16 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:09 PM

Congrats guys!

• andysea likes this

#17 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:54 PM

Mike - the difference between the two scopes was not a matter of measurement but rather just looking at the results from the AP130 and recalling the same object (M51) taken with my TV a while back. I'll have to see if I can dig up the TV shot. 

Rgrds-Ross

#18 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 27 June 2020 - 12:16 AM

Good on you!  I didn't know they were still shipping the 130s.  Here's what you have to look forward to:

AP GT130 and the clouds.jpg

• davidmcgo, stargazer32864, turtle86 and 9 others like this

#19 ris242

ris242

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:41 AM

Good on you!  I didn't know they were still shipping the 130s.  Here's what you have to look forward to:

attachicon.gifAP GT130 and the clouds.jpg

clouds? lol.gif

• davidmcgo, BRCoz, turtle86 and 4 others like this

#20 Cbaxter

Cbaxter

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 June 2020 - 03:09 AM

Rgrds-Ross

Can you provide raw stacks from both scopes, for potential purchasers to evaluate? I would love to look at both because "blew the Televue away" in my mind leads me to believe that the difference is significant and obvious. I ask for raws to eliminate old vs new software post-processing software and excluding software used to post-process, as well as individual experience or skill in post processing. I absolutely must see evidence of such a difference before committing to such an expense and almost decade wait.

Kindest regards.

#21 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 27 June 2020 - 03:20 AM

I absolutely must see evidence of such a difference before committing to such an expense and almost decade wait.

While that sounds very reasonable, if you’re not already on the AP130 list, you won’t have to worry about committing yourself to an almost decade wait.  I believe the list is closed, as it’s not likely that AP will still be making the 130 a decade from now.

• Paul G, Joe Bergeron, turtle86 and 2 others like this

#22 Cbaxter

Cbaxter

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 June 2020 - 03:45 AM

While that sounds very reasonable, if you’re not already on the AP130 list, you won’t have to worry about committing yourself to an almost decade wait. I believe the list is closed, as it’s not likely that AP will still be making the 130 a decade from now.

Lol. Not being able to get one is almost silly to me as a business person, unless it is truly significantly better than the competition. From Googleing I see what you are saying, which makes it frustrating for people who may be accustomed to getting what they want if they are willing to pay... I am fairly new to astrophotography but I am so freaking hooked that I am unreasonably obsessed with perfection... are AP scopes seriously factually THAT much better than the competition that I'll regret not having one?

Kindest regards.

Edited by Cbaxter, 27 June 2020 - 04:01 AM.

• Scott in NC, leviathan and delorehal like this

#23 Dwight56

Dwight56

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:14 AM

I received my notice for the 130 GTX and I put down my deposit. I was on the list around October of 2012 maybe before that I really not sure. Yes about 8 years.  Delivery is October of this year. Yes AP telescopes are better than gold and better than money in the bank. They cant take away your AP telescope if the banking system collapses. 

laugh.gif grin.gif lol.gif bow.gif bounce.gif elephant.gif popcorn.gif popcorn.gif popcorn.gif 

#24 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:25 AM

Lol. Not being able to get one is almost silly to me as a business person, unless it is truly significantly better than the competition. From Googleing I see what you are saying, which makes it frustrating for people who may be accustomed to getting what they want if they are willing to pay... I am fairly new to astrophotography but I am so freaking hooked that I am unreasonably obsessed with perfection... are AP scopes seriously factually THAT much better than the competition that I'll regret not having one?

Kindest regards.

As the Rolling Stones say: “you can’t always get what you want” – no matter how big your bank account.

If you really really want one, run a wanted ad that says, “willing to pay absolutely top dollar for a fine example”.

If you are mainly an imager, get a Takahashi TOA 130 and don’t look back. You can get one off-the-shelf and it will be as perfect as any 130mm apo refractor can be. You will have absolutely no need to look back. 

Bob

• payner, cdr dcm, eros312 and 2 others like this

#25 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:26 AM

Kindest regards.

I realize this is a rhetorical question, but I’ll answer anyway.  It’s a very nice scope, but no, you won’t regret not having one.  I put my name on the list in 2011, got the call in 2018, but decided that it cost much more money than I wanted to spend on any one scope.  So I passed it up and bought a used one a few months later for a significantly lower price.  I kept it for about a year, and while I really did like it, I ultimately ended up finding something else that was a better fit for me.  So the bottom line is that while it’s a very nice scope, it’s not like it puts all other scopes to shame, and may not be the best scope for everyone. 

• turtle86, cdr dcm, Heywood and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics