•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My email came in today for AP130

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#26 andysea

andysea

Soyuz

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:20 AM

While that sounds very reasonable, if you’re not already on the AP130 list, you won’t have to worry about committing yourself to an almost decade wait.  I believe the list is closed, as it’s not likely that AP will still be making the 130 a decade from now.

However in reality there is no commitment.You just give AP your email and they contact you when you can buy the scope. Only at that point you commit by putting down the deposit.

• Paul G likes this

#27 John Gauvreau

John Gauvreau

Astro Sensei

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:53 AM

I have the older version, the AP130GT (no X), identical to the one gnowellsct has and shows in his photo.  I have never regretted getting it; for me it is the bowl of porridge that is just right.  Yes, it was a lot of money, but every time I look through it I think to myself that it was totally worth it.  Enjoy!

• Scott in NC, turtle86 and Tyson M like this

#28 AstroGabe

AstroGabe

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:05 AM

I called back almost as soon as I saw the email.  I've been trying to get one used in the meantime, but they come and go so fast.  I added my name to the list in Aug 2012, and was told I can expect a ship date in October.  It's funny how long of a wait there's been for this scope, and the last 3 months will be the most difficult part!

Gabe

• Scott in NC, BRCoz, eros312 and 5 others like this

#29 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:21 AM

I have the older version, the AP130GT (no X), identical to the one gnowellsct has and shows in his photo.  I have never regretted getting it; for me it is the bowl of porridge that is just right.  Yes, it was a lot of money, but every time I look through it I think to myself that it was totally worth it.  Enjoy!

Same here.  I actually turned down the GT a long time ago when my name came up because the timing wasn’t right for me then.  Two years ago I had the chance to buy a like-new one at a fair price and jumped on it.  It’s a spectacular performer and one of the few scopes, along with my 18” Starmaster, that I’ll never sell.

Edited by turtle86, 27 June 2020 - 02:41 PM.

• Paul G, John Gauvreau, eros312 and 1 other like this

#30 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:46 AM

Congrats on getting the call for the A-P 130.  Does this mean that they are through with the 92 Stowaway and are now moving on to filling the 130 orders?

Bill

#31 andysea

andysea

Soyuz

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 27 June 2020 - 12:56 PM

Bill I was wondering the same thing. I think you're right. I'm glad I was able to get in the first run of the Stowaway. I think they are done making it.

#32 Spacedout

Spacedout

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Annapolis, MD

Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:56 PM

There are few things that one can buy, that rival the quality of an AP telescope.  That it allows us to see outside of the teacup within which we live our little lives, gives it a magical quality as well.

• Paul G, Joe Bergeron, siriusandthepup and 4 others like this

#33 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Ranger 4

• Loc: Owensboro, KY

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:00 PM

Good on you!  I didn't know they were still shipping the 130s.  Here's what you have to look forward to:

attachicon.gifAP GT130 and the clouds.jpg

That is a thing of beauty!! If I had a Mopar muscle car, I would trade it for that!! bow.gif

• gnowellsct likes this

#34 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:08 PM

That is a thing of beauty!! If I had a Mopar muscle car, I would trade it for that!! bow.gif

Yes but I would not accept.  A Chrysler would be a lot of aggro.  Unless you mean a fully restored mopar from some earlier glory era.

It is a thing of beauty but I think if the unthinkable happened (accident, theft) I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with a CFF or maybe a TEC, but 140 mm, doesn't sound like much more than 130, but the TEC 140 is BIG.  

Greg N

#35 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Ranger 4

• Loc: Owensboro, KY

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:42 AM

Yes but I would not accept.  A Chrysler would be a lot of aggro.  Unless you mean a fully restored mopar from some earlier glory era.

It is a thing of beauty but I think if the unthinkable happened (accident, theft) I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with a CFF or maybe a TEC, but 140 mm, doesn't sound like much more than 130, but the TEC 140 is BIG.  

Yeah, I mean mint condition, numbers matching type of Mopar with a hemi. That would be the only thing I would trade it for...an Astro Physics. It would be a sweet deal.

#36 gjanke

gjanke

Ranger 4

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:16 AM

When I first got into the hobby I bought a AP 5” vintage 2000 from Herb York in 2000. I had it for a while and my wife got laid off after 9/11. So I sold it to gentlemen out of the New England area and he had me send it to Ed Ting. Mr. Ting later reviewed that very scope and his write up had me regretting selling the scope. It’s the one with someone crying after looking at Saturn through the scope.

I was already on the list for the run of the 5” and 6”. I got the notice in to 2010 that I could buy the GT however I was laid off. I bought it but in short order sold it to an Astro friend locally. Bought another 5” GT not that long ago. Something to do with cancer and thought my death was gonna be sooner than later and really wanted to look through the best scopes available.

So last year I picked up about 5 mid to high end scopes and still have them all today. Two of them are APs 

My generally thinking when it comes to my APs is my fear of whacking them in a viewing session and the resale value would be shot.  So they don’t get used as much as they should out of fear.

I also picked up two TAKs last summer that are significantly cheaper and perform pretty well comparatively speaking. They are the TSA102 and the well reviewed previously owned by Paul Leuba TAK Sky90 II. I have these along with a Televue 76 a 102 stellavue and some much cheaper Chinese refractors.

Here is where I stand. The APs clearly falls into the collectible realm, the TAKs are a work horse and for the price of one of my APs I was able to buy two TAKs. The other scopes are pretty swell but the fit and finish doesn’t touch either one of these two brands.

So plunk the money down and be ready to enjoy opening up one of the best made scopes bar none. Worst case you can turn around and sell it at no loss if you decide it’s more than what you want or need. 

Everyone should own an AP at least once while in this hobby.

Edited by gjanke, 28 June 2020 - 06:19 AM.

• Spacedout and Tyson M like this

#37 leviathan

leviathan

Viking 1

• Loc: Azerbaijan

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:41 AM

17 years of wait time for Stowaway 92, 8 years for AP130. Seriously, guys, just get Tak or TEC.

• gjanke and Swanny like this

#38 snommisbor

snommisbor

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:28 AM

17 years of wait time for Stowaway 92, 8 years for AP130. Seriously, guys, just get Tak or TEC.

You don’t not have a telescope when getting on the list. I actually have a TEC 160ED as well as an 80 Lomo. Back in the day I just got on the list cause I was in no hurry to get the 130 so now 8 years later the email came and I will make my deposit on Monday and then wait another 4 months for the scope to be completed. My buddy has one and back when he got his a few years ago I had a TEC 140. I was amazed at how much small the AP was. Even compared to the TAK TOA 130, that think is huge compared to the 130GTX. The AP 130 is like a G&G on steroids. 

• Paul Hyndman, Scott in NC, moshen and 2 others like this

#39 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:52 AM

Nobody really ever “waits” for these scopes, in the traditional sense of the word.  You just put your name on a list and then forget about it and go on with your life.  You buy a scope (or several scopes) in the interim.  Then maybe one day you get the call.  If you get the call, then you decide whether you still want an AP scope or not.  If so, you buy it.  And if not, then you don’t.  That’s really all there is to it.  Anyone who desperately wants an AP scope right now can easily buy one off the used market.  Place a wanted ad, and you’ll likely find exactly what you’re looking for within a week (and possibly even that same day).

• Paul G, Joe Bergeron, Paul Hyndman and 8 others like this

#40 syxbach

syxbach

Mariner 2

• Loc: West Texas

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:19 PM

Is there a such a big different among TEC, Tak and AP? I am not a visual guy. I wonder in terms of imaging, how much difference can we get? More importantly, I have missed the chance to be added onto the list. I joined the hobby in 2018, it is too latelol.gif

#41 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:25 PM

A friend just got notice of the AP130 yesterday..... not sure whether he will end up getting it seen as he has a Tak TOA150......

I can understand people getting these APs, I am sure they're fine scopes, personally I have no interest in them.  I'll make do with my clutch of scopes for now,  but congrats to the OP on making it to the top of the list  waytogo.gif

• payner, Heywood and leviathan like this

#42 AstroGabe

AstroGabe

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:25 PM

The thing that excites me most is being able to image at f/4.5.  I’ve loved imaging with the Stowaway that I got from the 2nd production run lately. 

• Suavi likes this

#43 Suavi

Suavi

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: 20.25 deg South of the Equator

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:39 PM

Congratulations Rob - I hope you will get the scope.

I put my name down on the list late in 2016, just in case, but with no eager anticipation, expectations or anything. If I will get an email one day and if I will be able to afford it, I will get it. In the meantime, I am having heaps of fun with my 4" CFF.

• Scott in NC likes this

#44 gwlee

gwlee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:13 PM

I got an email today and have until July 10th to decide. Anyone else get theirs today. July 2012 was when I got on the list so pretty much 8 years to the month.

Congratulations. I reluctantly passed on the 130mm when my name came up after 8 years on the list. I had retired and moved to another home by then, and decided that scope with a suitable mount would be too much for me to handle at my new site.

Luckily, I got on the new Stowaway list early enough to get one from the second run, and it works a well for me at this site. 

• Scott in NC likes this

#45 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:31 PM

Nobody really ever “waits” for these scopes, in the traditional sense of the word.  You just put your name on a list and then forget about it and go on with your life.  You buy a scope (or several scopes) in the interim.  Then maybe one day you get the call.  If you get the call, then you decide whether you still want an AP scope or not.  If so, you buy it.  And if not, then you don’t.  That’s really all there is to it.  Anyone who desperately wants an AP scope right now can easily buy one off the used market.  Place a wanted ad, and you’ll likely find exactly what you’re looking for within a week (and possibly even that same day).

No, that’s not true. Once you are on the list, you are committed to sitting in a room to WAIT, for however long it takes to get the call. If you stir, or worse, buy a different scope, Roland gets wind of it, and you are ejected into the void. It’s brutal. 

• Scott in NC, 3 i Guy, cdr dcm and 3 others like this

#46 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:41 PM

Ouch!  Thankfully that didn’t happen to me, but that was a few years ago.  It sounds like the new list is much more serious. :scared:

• delorehal likes this

#47 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:48 PM

No, that’s not true. Once you are on the list, you are committed to sitting in a room to WAIT, for however long it takes to get the call. If you stir, or worse, buy a different scope, Roland gets wind of it, and you are ejected into the void. It’s brutal. 

Joe is working on a coffee table book featuring people in their rooms, waiting. 

Clear skies, Alan

• Joe Bergeron, 3 i Guy, cdr dcm and 1 other like this

#48 chakel

chakel

Vostok 1

• Loc: No. CA

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:59 PM

Yes. We all are alone at home.   waiting    together.

• Joe Bergeron likes this

#49 kkt

kkt

Soyuz

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:13 PM

Congrats on getting the call for the A-P 130.  Does this mean that they are through with the 92 Stowaway and are now moving on to filling the 130 orders?

Bill

They didn't finish the Stowaway list, if that's what you're asking.  My guess is one more run would probably do it.  Maybe after this batch of 130s.

I am on both lists, so I'm okay with AP working on either one :)

• gjanke likes this

#50 AstroGabe

AstroGabe

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:03 PM

They didn't finish the Stowaway list, if that's what you're asking.  My guess is one more run would probably do it.  Maybe after this batch of 130s.

I am on both lists, so I'm okay with AP working on either one smile.gif

Congrats on your Stowaway notification!  Wouldn't that be something - to get a Stowaway and GTX130 in quick succession?  Talk about the stars aligning just right.  :) 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics