•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Trip to the Ice Crevasses of Saturn's Moon Dione (a video by me)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jason H.

Jason H.

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:46 PM

Hello, this is an Ultra High Definition video I've made that zoom's in on the immense ice crevasses of Saturn's moon Dione

https://youtu.be/1bbvbUK0tkI

I've had making this exact video of zooming in as a concept in my head for probably almost ~15 years ever since I first saw a still image of this vista.  I even printed out a 4' wide photo of it back then to show people in the Astronomy club I used to be in, but even then I knew that a photo's scale just didn't match zooming-in scale and overall context of the crevasses that could be achieved with a video, so finally here it is (and I'm relieved that the concept has made it out of my head :^)  I know most people have not ever seen the ice crevasses of Dione, especially this close, and this particular image was not covered like this zoom-in vid to this scale at all back when it came out.

Imagine travelling there and rappelling/abseiling down the sides of them and looking up from the deep inside a ravine under the ice cliffs!  Maybe someday somebody will.  I made this video using a real image acquired by NASA's Cassini spacecraft years ago when it was orbiting Saturn and its moons on a very close pass to Dione.  I also made the background music (simple as it is) especially for this video.  Please feel free to share a link to it with your friends, as I'd like as many people possible to see this spectacular vista.

Clear skies and good seeing!  Jason W. Higley

• Crusty99 likes this

#2 scottinash

scottinash

Vostok 1

• Loc: Tennessee, USA

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:53 PM

Really enjoyed this Jason!

• Jason H. likes this

#3 Zoroastro

Zoroastro

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:38 PM

Great video!How deep are the crevasses?
  • Jason H. likes this

#4 Jason H.

Jason H.

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:50 PM

Thanks Scott and Zoroastro.

Great video!How deep are the crevasses?

and in answer to that question my understanding is that some of the ice cliffs imaged on this flyby date (11 October, 2005) were estimated to be several hundred meters high.

Edited by Jason H., 26 June 2020 - 03:09 PM.

#5 BoriSpider

BoriSpider

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: S.W.FLA

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:39 AM

Music was perfect for that video. Was great thanks, and a fellow Blenderer nice

• Jason H. likes this

#6 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:00 AM

Wow, fantastic! Thanks for sharing this.

• Jason H. likes this

#7 Jason H.

Jason H.

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:21 AM

Regarding "and a fellow Blenderer", I'm happy you noticed somewhere along the way that I do Blender too.  Since it came up, here's a Blender created Astro Art example video I've made that might apply to this forum? "Space & Astronomy Museum Lobby Fly-through" https://youtu.be/6PuerZF0EPM

And about 6 years ago I made this in Blender with a real all-sky Milky Way image from ESO

"Our Milky Way Galaxy" (ESO/S.Brunier image, video & music J. Higley) https://youtu.be/NEIJux3-eWc

I did this animation playing with the Milky Way reflecting off of water https://architecture...541075_orig.gif

and here's another old one (which looks very primitive to me now, I've learned a bit since then :^) I did, Orbiting above the Earth with our Milky Way in the background. https://youtu.be/Fk9GYqjOlbw

which was one of my first experiments of applying Blender to Astronomy.

In reply to BoriSpider, how do you use Blender? (and to the Mods I'm OK with anybody commenting on that here or adding their perhaps seemingly OT images BTW, since I think concepts used in other applications of Blender can definitely be applied to Astro Art, Sci-Fi concept art etc.).  Do you have some examples online that could be linked to?  I mostly have gone in the direction of Architectural contemplations in the last few years as can be seen at my Architecture Blender website  https://architecture...der.weebly.com/ , but I've reached a point now where I want to bring it all together in not only Earth landscape fly-throughs with physics (water, clouds, atmospheric lighting) but also bring to life some existing Astronomy images and Astronomy-related concept art (or at least move in that direction for a while) where Blender could help navigate created 3D Astronomy, planet, nebula and other space environments in a a way that can't be done in some other software.  Blender is a fun hobbby I rank as equivalent to my Astronomy hobby, the potential is limitless!

Jason H.

Music was perfect for that video. Was great thanks, and a fellow Blenderer nice

• BoriSpider likes this

#8 BoriSpider

BoriSpider

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: S.W.FLA

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:15 AM

I saw the little Blender video on your YouTube channel. I'm still very new. Working on a Dinosaur over on the Off Topic area dino thread. So don't go there and look. Those are some nice fly throughs.

• Jason H. likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics