•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Crosshatch Pattern on Next Image 5 Solar Images

astrophotography solar
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Khaslag

Khaslag

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2020 - 03:15 PM

I recently started seeing a crosshatch pattern appearing on my Next Image 5 solar images (using a Lunt 60mm Ha scope) when using FireCapture v2.6. This pattern stays with the AVI file therefore making the result unusable for stacking. Changing the Gain makes no difference (gain 18, Exp 4.4ms to capture solar granulation).  They don't appear when using iCap 2.4 but I have been very successful with FC until now. Has any seen this before?

#2 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 26 June 2020 - 03:40 PM

The NexImage 5 is a color camera. Every pixel has a red, green, or blue filter on it. Ha only lets in the red so those pixels be lit up and the others are dark. A color camera is not so great for using Ha. I use the Y800 codec in iCap and let AutoStakkert DeBayer for a color (red) image. Then perhaps convert the image to monochrome as a final step. I made a video Using iCap which I think will help a lot for using iCap. You should see a monochrome crosshatched image while capturing but a much smoother color (red) image in AutoStakkert.

#3 Khaslag

Khaslag

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for the help. I see what you mean about AutoStakkert smoothing the image. I ran the AVI files through it and there's no crosshatching in the final image. However, the crosshatching makes it very difficult to get a good focus and this artifact has never been seen before using the same OTA setup. Can it be the camera has reached the end of its useful life? I am planning on a ZWO ASI camera purchase soon perhaps you can recommend one.  Thanks to your response my session wasn't the total loss I thought it was.

Thanks again.

#4 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:57 AM

You can have your capture software do the deBayering to get rid of the crosshatching which may help to focus. Just make sure you see the crosshatching while capturing though. Otherwise you end up with a file 3x larger that actually has less information.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics