•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

7 Day Old Moon

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Diomedes

Diomedes

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York City

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:19 PM

I think the 7 Day old moon to be the most beautiful and full of detail.  I took this shot with my Canon T6i and Orion 120ST refractor through my apartment's window. I processed it in  Ligthroom, brought down my purple and green colors to get rid of some chromatic aberration. 

50048650223_ce92b821dd_o.jpg

Edited by Diomedes, 26 June 2020 - 11:21 PM.

• frank5817, payner, John_Moore and 10 others like this

#2 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:51 AM

I think the 7 Day old moon to be the most beautiful and full of detail.  I took this shot with my Canon T6i and Orion 120ST refractor through my apartment's window. I processed it in  Ligthroom, brought down my purple and green colors to get rid of some chromatic aberration. 

Nice, clean image. 

• DRohrman and Diomedes like this

#3 flt158

flt158

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:25 AM

Theophilus, Cyrillus, Catherina, Piccolomini and Rupes Altai all look superb. 

So do many other features, Diomedes. 

I also greatly admire your quote by Galileo at the end!!

Clear skies, 

Aubrey.  

• Diomedes likes this

#4 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:06 AM

sharps details , very nice , thanks .

• Diomedes likes this

#5 gravy11

gravy11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ (USA)

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:14 AM

Beautiful pic. Question for you. I leave my telescope in my bedroom and when I get up around 2:30am (getting older blows), I spend a half hour or so looking at the sky (right now, it’s filled with Jupiter and Saturn so it’s been great).  My question.....you said you look through your apartment window. Do you find that alters your view a great deal. I’ve been reading that it really distorts things. Looking for ideas, outside of taking my scope outside at 2:30am, to offset the window effect. I may just be asking the impossible but looking for ideas. Thanks. Again, great pic! 

• Diomedes likes this

#6 Diomedes

Diomedes

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:37 AM

Beautiful pic. Question for you. I leave my telescope in my bedroom and when I get up around 2:30am (getting older blows), I spend a half hour or so looking at the sky (right now, it’s filled with Jupiter and Saturn so it’s been great).  My question.....you said you look through your apartment window. Do you find that alters your view a great deal. I’ve been reading that it really distorts things. Looking for ideas, outside of taking my scope outside at 2:30am, to offset the window effect. I may just be asking the impossible but looking for ideas. Thanks. Again, great pic! 

Hey, I acclimate the room by leaving the windows open for hours and not running any AC on it. Otherwise the difference in temperature between the room and outside  makes the seeing impossible. That being said at higher magnifications I see a lot of athmospheric disturbance.  Which is why I don’t like to use the CPC8 out of the window, and use the 120ST instead. What scope are you using ? 

is almost  always better to observe from outside but for me that gets offset by how comfortable it is to observe from within my apartment. So I sacrifice a little bit of seeing quality which at low powers and using a refractor is ok in my opinion.

#7 gravy11

gravy11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ (USA)

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:31 AM

Hey, I acclimate the room by leaving the windows open for hours and not running any AC on it. Otherwise the difference in temperature between the room and outside  makes the seeing impossible. That being said at higher magnifications I see a lot of athmospheric disturbance.  Which is why I don’t like to use the CPC8 out of the window, and use the 120ST instead. What scope are you using ? 

is almost  always better to observe from outside but for me that gets offset by how comfortable it is to observe from within my apartment. So I sacrifice a little bit of seeing quality which at low powers and using a refractor is ok in my opinion.

Exactly! I’ve been using an Orion 4.5 Starblast Reflector but literally, am in the middle of assembling my new Celestron 6SE.   For me, it’s the convenience of being able to look each night from my bedroom window. I love it but I’m definitely noticing that I’m sacrificing a lot of my viewing quality. After reading a ton of understanding why.

• Diomedes likes this

#8 Diomedes

Diomedes

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:00 AM

Exactly! I’ve been using an Orion 4.5 Starblast Reflector but literally, am in the middle of assembling my new Celestron 6SE.   For me, it’s the convenience of being able to look each night from my bedroom window. I love it but I’m definitely noticing that I’m sacrificing a lot of my viewing quality. After reading a ton of understanding why.

The starblast has a focal length of 450mm while the 6SE has a focal length of 1500mm. You'll probably want to use the starblast if your looking out the window since the lower focal length would allow you to stay at lower magnification.  When the seeing is too bad I switch to binoculars.  I find that observing from both inside/outside multiplies the times I observe per month. There are nights when I only have 10-20 mins or don't have access to my roof, or  the cloud coverage is just good enough to take a peak but does not warrant the effort of bringing my setup to the roof. 

p.s I have gotten my Celestron 102SLT aligned with Go-to through the window. The window gives a small field of view but it was pretty cool since I connected the telescope to my desktop and controlled it from stellarium. I then waited for targets to drift into my window's field of view. 

• gravy11 likes this

#9 DRohrman

DRohrman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:54 PM

Great shot, Diomedes!!!!
same moon, from Southern California...lots of detail from clear skies...Canon T6i, Questar 3.5, single shot, with a bit of color from Photoshop:

Attached Thumbnails

• B4877E2B-BDDE-4B14-AC7B-CF650505D5F3.jpeg

• payner, John_Moore, jassan and 1 other like this

#10 Diomedes

Diomedes

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:15 AM

Great shot, Diomedes!!!!
same moon, from Southern California...lots of detail from clear skies...Canon T6i, Questar 3.5, single shot, with a bit of color from Photoshop:

Thanks and likewise, is really cool to see a shot taken from the other side of the country, on the same night.   I like the warmer tone. I wanted to go for a more colorful picture also but the chromatic aberration made it impossible since I had to dial down the green, yellow and purple channels to get rid of it. 

• John_Moore and DRohrman like this

#11 Diomedes

Diomedes

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:03 PM

Follow up capture with 2X barlow

50060506446_f41c807716_o.jpg

Edited by Diomedes, 29 June 2020 - 10:07 PM.

• payner, John_Moore, DRohrman and 1 other like this

#12 DRohrman

DRohrman

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:22 PM

Another great shot, Diomedes!

6/29/20 at 8:00 PDT, drizzle from AM left skies windy and clear:

Attached Thumbnails

• 9A211F0E-87C9-4F86-8726-5DF5295E9BA7.jpeg

Edited by DRohrman, 29 June 2020 - 11:24 PM.

• payner, John_Moore, Diomedes and 1 other like this

#13 Diomedes

Diomedes

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:41 AM

Another great shot, Diomedes!

6/29/20 at 8:00 PDT, drizzle from AM left skies windy and clear:

Thanks DRohrnan,  what did you use to capture this shot ? Looks a lot closer than the previous one did you also use a Barlow?

#14 DRohrman

DRohrman

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:09 AM

Through the Questar 3.5” diopter instead of the axial port...Canon T6i on this one...ISO 100, 1/15. No Barlow engaged.
Doug

• Diomedes likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics