•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Turbulent storms on Jupiter and stunning Saturn.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:53 AM

Hi all,

Once more we had some good seeing conditions this week and I was able to make some reasonable drawings of Jupiter and Saturn.

Jupiter was very interesting.  The first thing that caught my attention was the dark festoon and dark barge near the following limb.  At first I thought it might be an impact mark but as the seeing steadied I could see that it was a very dark festoon starting out in the NEB(s) and just immediately north, a dark barge in the NEB.  In the drawing Io can be seen near the preceding limb and was a yellowish-orange colour:

Jupiter_Smaller 2 PGA.png

Up next was Saturn- given it's low altitude from the UK I was expecting a blurred image but instead for about 15 minutes the seeing was very good and I had one of my finest views of the planet since I used the Lowell 24" telescope to study it a few years back.  The southern edges of the NEB seemed some what irregular, the NTB and NNTB were seen and the greenish tint to the NTZ was also present.  Although I couldn't trace the Cassini Division all the way around the ansae, I could certainly see much of it than usual. 

Saturn Smaller PGA.jpg

Best wishes,

-Paul

Edited by Paul G. Abel, 27 June 2020 - 08:59 AM.

• Special Ed, davidmcgo, Rick Runcie and 17 others like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:58 AM

shocked.gif Wow, masterpiece! Better than many photos this season. bow.gif

• flt158 likes this

#3 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:00 AM

That's very kind of you Astroman007!  I look at these drawings and see the many flaws lol.gif

#4 MikeTahtib

MikeTahtib

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:18 AM

I saw that dark festoon too.  I don't usually have good enough conditions to see anything but some smeary bands, but I was able to see a lot more than usual this week.  At first I thought it might be the Great Red Spot, but remembered the image was upside down.

• flt158 likes this

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:09 AM

Paul,

Very nice sketches of Turbulent storms on Jupiter and stunning Saturn smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#6 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:10 AM

look like a photo , very nice work , thanks .

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics