•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thread-on Brandon 1.25" barrel?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:13 AM

Does anybody know if there is a Thread-on 1.25" eyepiece barrel for use with Questar Brandons? I love my set of Q Brandons and I would love to safely use them with some of my other telescopes as well. I can slip them into a diagonal or 2"-1.25" reducer but their short barrels give me the heebee-geebees worrying that they might fall out. A longer 1.25" barrel to thread them into would be a nice accessory.

• Loren Gibson likes this

#2 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 27 June 2020 - 03:03 PM

Maybe reach out to present Vernonscope Co. and see if they'll sell you empty barrels???

• Terra Nova likes this

#3 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:10 PM

The barrels aren’t swappable since the housing is all one piece except for the lens retainer.  I opted for the non threaded ones which work just fine in the Questar and finder but the barrels might be too long to use a filter on them and seat fully.

What might work is if they would sell you the cell from a Magic Barlow that would thread into where the filter threads are.

Dave

Edited by davidmcgo, 27 June 2020 - 05:10 PM.

• Terra Nova and Loren Gibson like this

#4 Loren Gibson

Loren Gibson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Florida, USA

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:48 PM

Depending upon how much additional barrel length you wanted, instead of the cell from a Magic barlow, you could buy one of the filter adapters which thread into the bottom of the Brandon eyepiece and which accept non-Vernonscope filters. It looks like about the same dimension as a regular filter.

I also don't like using my Questar Brandons in a conventional 1.25" eyepiece holder because of my possibly over-pessimistic worry of buggering up the leading thread on the eyepiece due to contact with the holder.

Loren

• Terra Nova likes this

#5 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:27 PM

I really like the idea of an empty Magic Barlow (the variety that threads into the Questar Brandons). I think I'll give them a call soon and see if they will sell an empty unlabeled one. It seems like they might as the acknowledge that they make them themselves. I would think such a device would just be a normal thing they would sell.

• rcwolpert and JamesMStephens like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics