•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10” Carl Zeiss Refractor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Old Will

Old Will

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:18 PM

There is a 10” Carl Zeiss Refractor for sale on Ebay.  I would like to know if anyone knows about the possibility to make a flourite 4" lens that is  mounted about 3 feet from the tailpiece to produce Apochromat quality images?  The owner says this scope has one made by Roland Christen.

The objective is F/16, but if I understand correctly with the correcting lens it is about F/13,  Any possibility of such, and any designs would be appreciated as I have a 9.5" Achromat blanks set, which would be better than the triple folded F20 I have been contemplating.

Many thanks from   Old Will

#2 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:46 PM

you might take a look here, if you've missed this thread: 

https://www.cloudyni...14328-zeiss-10/

Lee

Edited by lee14, 27 June 2020 - 03:20 PM.

#3 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:46 PM

Link?

#4 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:47 PM

you might take a look here, f you've missed this thread: 

https://www.cloudyni...14328-zeiss-10/

Lee

Posted at the same time. Well beyond my budget, despite it being the 'bay.

• lee14 likes this

#5 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 27 June 2020 - 03:30 PM

Somewhat related;

This was a loooong time ago, Roland produced a reducer for a Zeiss AS 8" F/15 refractor, the reducer was placed inside the tube somewhat similar to a Petzval system, this configuration resulted in a F/10 telescope with improved CA.

Roland placed an ad in Sky&Tel for this scope asking $5000.00, I am still kicking myself for not buying this refractor, the weight and size scared me.

Vahe

• Paul Morow likes this

#6 Stewc14

Stewc14

Sputnik

• Loc: Pueblo West colorado

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:15 PM

I often wondered about the folded refractor . I found a 12 " ziess set in Finland . I have been waiting for a friend to verify and send pics. I taught some classes at the college there and made some connections.There is another in Estonia I've been told . I have been told it has a correcting lense made for it. I am wondering who made it.I will report back if it turns into a reality.
That 10 inch is huge looking.I have a 9. " that I move in and out every night that it is clear enough.All my other scopes and mounts are still crated awaiting the observatory build.
I would love to look through a larger refractor. I just sold a 6" f13 completely hand made. I wish I still had it. But alas, I had to sell 4 scopes and save the money in case a tak. Em 500 or 400 comes back up for sale.
I wonder if Roland would ever rework any other makers glass? I have a project and maybe another down the road. Pipe dream ,,,,Probably,,,

#7 Paul Morow

Paul Morow

Mariner 2

• Loc: Indianapolis

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:24 PM

Somewhat related;
This was a loooong time ago, Roland produced a reducer for a Zeiss AS 8" F/15 refractor, the reducer was placed inside the tube somewhat similar to a Petzval system, this configuration resulted in a F/10 telescope with improved CA.
Roland placed an ad in Sky&Tel for this scope asking $5000.00, I am still kicking myself for not buying this refractor, the weight and size scared me.
Vahe

I remember that Zeiss refractor that Astro-Physics brought out to AstroFest in the late 1990s. It was an impressive instrument, but the lens took a long while to reach equilibrium on a hot Summers night. During the early morning hours I don't think the lens was able to totally cool and images at about 285x (7mm Nagler, if I remember correctly) were still a little soft.

Attached Thumbnails

• AstroPhysics_Ziess8f10.jpg
  • AstroFest_Ziess8f10.jpg

• stevew, plyscope and ATM57 like this

#8 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:43 PM

I remember that Zeiss refractor that Astro-Physics brought out to AstroFest in the late 1990s. It was an impressive instrument, but the lens took a long while to reach equilibrium on a hot Summers night. During the early morning hours I don't think the lens was able to totally cool and images at about 285x (7mm Nagler, if I remember correctly) were still a little soft.

I do recall a discussion regarding the corrector/reducer lens installed inside the tube, from what I recall one of the special glasses required to construct this corrector/reducer was somewhat unstable and highly susceptible to atmospheric attacks and would degrade over time. Do not remember if this was a comment from Roland or someone else.

Vahe

#9 Echolight

Echolight

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:49 PM

Somewhat related;

Vahe

The size and weight of the mount would scare me.

#10 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:09 PM

There is a 10” Carl Zeiss Refractor for sale on Ebay.  I would like to know if anyone knows about the possibility to make a flourite 4" lens that is  mounted about 3 feet from the tailpiece to produce Apochromat quality images?  The owner says this scope has one made by Roland Christen.

The objective is F/16, but if I understand correctly with the correcting lens it is about F/13,  Any possibility of such, and any designs would be appreciated as I have a 9.5" Achromat blanks set, which would be better than the triple folded F20 I have been contemplating.

Many thanks from   Old Will

It’s still F16 with the corrector

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics