•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron 2" Twist Lock, Baader Click Lock how does it compare?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DeathWarpedUp

DeathWarpedUp

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:13 PM

I'm looking to get either the celestron or the Baader.

The Celestron is about £20 cheaper (around $30) and comes with a "2 to 1 1/4" adaptor and an SCT adaptor, so on paper looks like a better deal.

Baaders clicklock boasts a 20 degree turn to fully lock, I know on some of the other makes it requires almost a full 360 degree twist according to some people. Some other makes are also a bit tight regarding slotting in eyepeices.

Does anyone have experience withe Celestrons Twist lock, can they confirm? Thanks.

#2 Echolight

Echolight

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:00 PM

I'm interested in this too. Been looking at 2 inch diagonals to upgrade the 1.25 that came on my C6R.

Of course I'd prefer the Baader. But the Celestron is at least $100 or more cheaper here.

Orion has one similar to the Celestron, but without the 1.25 adapter and a little less expensive.

One other thing about the Celestron, and not sure this makes a difference, is that it's made to fit an SCT. And has a barrel that threads on to fit a conventional focuser. So not sure if it is more restricted here resulting in a narrower field of view.

Edited by Echolight, 27 June 2020 - 07:07 PM.

#3 DeathWarpedUp

DeathWarpedUp

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:14 PM

I'm interested in this too. Been looking at 2 inch diagonals to upgrade the 1.25 that came on my C6R.

Of course I'd prefer the Baader. But the Celestron is at least $100 or more cheaper here.

Orion has one similar to the Celestron, but without the 1.25 adapter and a little less expensive.

One other thing about the Celestron, and not sure this makes a difference, is that it's made to fit an SCT. And has a barrel that threads on to fit a conventional focuser. So not sure if it is more restricted here resulting in a narrower field of view.

I think the Celestron comes with both a push fit and sct adaptor.

Theres also twist/click locks by w/o, Orion, Antares, APM to name a few.

Edited by DeathWarpedUp, 27 June 2020 - 07:29 PM.

#4 LDW47

LDW47

Soyuz

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:38 PM

I have 3 different types, they are all the same ‘good performers’, they all come with the adapter, just the name changes, Antares build their own in Canada !  Clear adaptive skize !

#5 Echolight

Echolight

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:42 PM

The APM has a 43mm clear aperture. I believe I read somewhere that the Baader is 46mm.

#6 LDW47

LDW47

Soyuz

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:29 PM

The APM has a 43mm clear aperture. I believe I read somewhere that the Baader is 46mm.

Try and find where you read that, it would be interesting !  Clear interesting skiys !

#7 Echolight

Echolight

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:21 PM

Try and find where you read that, it would be interesting !  Clear interesting skiys !

From the user manual

2" Clicklock Diagonal Mirror #2956100

Clear aperture with 2" nosepiece: 46,6 mm

https://www.baader-p..._connection.pdf

• LDW47 likes this

#8 DeathWarpedUp

DeathWarpedUp

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:27 PM

I have 3 different types, they are all the same ‘good performers’, they all come with the adapter, just the name changes, Antares build their own in Canada !  Clear adaptive skize !

Which types do you have, and in regards to the twisting is it right that some take  nearly a full turn as opposed to the baader which is roughly around 20 degrees.

Edited by DeathWarpedUp, 29 June 2020 - 02:28 PM.

#9 LDW47

LDW47

Soyuz

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:55 PM

Which types do you have, and in regards to the twisting is it right that some take  nearly a full turn as opposed to the baader which is roughly around 20 degrees.

I never paid attention to the degrees, the number of turns or what have you, I just use them and they all function perfectly !  If they work as designed I fail to see the reasoning for your question, I can’t seem to get my head around it !  Clear reasoning skiys !

#10 DeathWarpedUp

DeathWarpedUp

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:40 AM

I never paid attention to the degrees, the number of turns or what have you, I just use them and they all function perfectly !  If they work as designed I fail to see the reasoning for your question, I can’t seem to get my head around it !  Clear reasoning skiys !

The reason I ask, is that some of the cheaper versions are supposed to take a few 360 degree twists, and didnt tighten so well. I just wondered thats all.

In my country the price range goes from anything from £100 to £250 for these things, So Im trying to work out if the extra is worth paying for, if there are any diffrences ect.

If you brought 3 dfferent types, I assume they fluctuate in price, so I wonder what infuenced your decision, to possibly not go for the cheapest, whats your experience of the different makes ect.

From looking at the APM, antares, celestron, Orion ect verions they all look (physically at least), like exactly the same design, only the baader appears to be remotely different. I'm trying to gauge if the expensive ones are worth the extra money and the cheaper ones are not.

Edited by DeathWarpedUp, 30 June 2020 - 08:56 AM.

#11 LDW47

LDW47

Soyuz

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:30 AM

The reason I ask, is that some of the cheaper versions are supposed to take a few 360 degree twists, and didnt tighten so well. i just wondered thats all.

In my country the price range goes from anything from £100 to £250 for these things, So Im trying to work out if the extra is worth paying for, if there are any diffrences ect.

If you brought 3 dfferent types, I assume they fluctuarte in price, so I wonder what infuenced your decision, to possibly not go for the cheapest, whats your experience of the different makes ect.

From looking at the APM, antares, celestron, Orion ect verions they all look (physically at least), like exactly the same design, only the baader appears to be remotely different. I'm trying to gauge if the expensive ones are worth the extra money and the cheaper ones are not. 

They aren’t worth the extra price, in general you are replacing set screws with some sort of a collar that puts equal pressure around the whole circumference of the ep and they all do ! As to to number of turns vs tightening effect none are a problem I mean how much do you have to tighten an ep down, as long as they are snug in the diagonal so they don’t easily slip what more do you need ? Torque Wrenches are not required in this hobby for that operation, they all work great unless of course you are a perfectionist or have a big brand name phobia ! Its your decision how bad you want to spend, like with everything ! Clear tight skize !  PS: Don’t be worried with any of them they all work great !

#12 rajilina

rajilina

Vostok 1

• Loc: UT, USA

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:36 AM

They aren’t worth the extra price, in general you are replacing set screws with some sort of a collar that puts equal pressure around the whole circumference of the ep and they all do ! As to to number of turns vs tightening effect none are a problem I mean how much do you have to tighten an ep down, as long as they are snug in the diagonal so they don’t easily slip what more do you need ? Torque Wrenches are not required in this hobby for that operation, they all work great unless of course you are a perfectionist or have a big brand name phobia ! Its your decision how bad you want to spend, like with everything ! Clear tight skize !  PS: Don’t be worried with any of them they all work great !

I have the Baader click lock and I disagree; the short distance it needs to turn is worth the extra price in terms of little bits of convenience built up over every session and every change of eyepiece. Why constantly fiddle with something that yes, works, but is difficult to use vs. something that is easy-peasy every single time? The convenience was worth the price and I don't regret buying mine for a second.

BTW to the OP, I am using mine on my 8" Celestron Edge HD SCT and it screws right on the existing threads after you remove the visual back. It is threaded to fit so no "adapter" needed. You do have to get the 2" to 1.25" barrel adapter separately, though.

Edited by rajilina, 30 June 2020 - 08:42 AM.

#13 LDW47

LDW47

Soyuz

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:47 AM

I have the Baader click lock and I disagree; the short distance it needs to turn is worth the extra price in terms of little bits of convenience built up over every session and every change of eyepiece. Why constantly fiddle with something that yes, works, but is difficult to use vs. something that is easy-peasy every single time? The convenience was worth the price and I don't regret buying mine for a second.

BTW to the OP, I am using mine on my 8" Celestron Edge HD SCT and it screws right on the existing threads after you remove the visual back. It is threaded to fit so no "adapter" needed. You do have to get the 2" to 1.25" barrel adapter separately, though.

Difficult ?? I guess if your hand gets tired quick, then its worth the $ ! I love mine and so do many others but to each his own, I’m just not a perfectionist, any more, lol !  Clear perfect skize !  PS:  This is supposed to be a laid back type hobby, bits of convenience measured in milliseconds is not much of a worry for most I would think ? Just my thoughts, there has to be more substantial reasoning ? 

Edited by LDW47, 30 June 2020 - 08:51 AM.

#14 LDW47

LDW47

Soyuz

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:55 AM

We are trying to convince someone to spend or not spend more money so we should supply them with some solid pros or cons which way to go in the function, the operation of the subject equipment, I think !  Clear perfect working skiys !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics