•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Meade 6000 ED APO 115mm Triplet with Interior Dust?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Barry A. Waters

Barry A. Waters

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Florida Panhandle / South Georgia US

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:50 PM

Folks,

New to the site but have been able to search a bit and check on this issue. Other posts seem to show objectives with only a few random specs which appears to be a 'not to worry' issue but mine looks a bit worse than that (like a star field on a clear night!). I'm hoping mine will have no impact on visual seeing & beginning AP. Is there any easy way to remove this if dust is what it is? The exterior of the objective is clean so whatever it is must be inside the objective assembly but with three lenses I don't know enough about triplet design to tell where it may be or even if it is practical to attempt to remove it . Any advice or pointers to relevant threads would be much appreciated!

Barry

Attached Thumbnails

• Meade_6000_ED_APO_Tiplet 004_01.JPG

#2 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:58 PM

Hi Barry!  Yikes!   I'd send that scope back, as it appears to me that the dust is between elements.  Brand New should mean sparkling clean, too.

I owned a used 80mm Series 5000.  You could remove the lens cell assembly, and use a puffer on the rear surface.  But again, it's brand new, so I'd return it.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 27 June 2020 - 09:17 PM.

• Paul Hyndman, eros312, Barry A. Waters and 1 other like this

#3 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Messenger

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:09 PM

Send it back

• Echolight likes this

#4 delorehal

delorehal

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:42 PM

Test it first, this dust will have no effect on optical performance. You could have a winner and the new scope could be inferior.

... and you will not be the first.

#5 KTAZ

KTAZ

Ranger 4

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:01 AM

I’m not a fan of Meade quality control. All I can say is test it out but do not “settle” for anything less than what you paid good money for.

#6 stargazer32864

stargazer32864

Ranger 4

• Loc: Owensboro, KY

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:38 AM

Yeah, I would listen to them. The warranty  may not be good if you take it apart and try to clean it yourself.

• Paul Hyndman and Bomber Bob like this

#7 jp071848

jp071848

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:05 PM

Barry..

Give some thought to your long-term plans for this new scope. If you think there's any chance that you would sell it in the future, what would a potential buyer think about that amount of dust? If it were me, I'd pass for sure.  I, too, vote for returning it.

Best of luck...

• BFaucett, Barry A. Waters and Echolight like this

#8 AdamJ

AdamJ

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:23 PM

Do a star test, if it's good then for goodness sake don't send it back and end up with a rubbish lens that is clean as a whistle. If it's a good lens you can always clean it. You will have to clean it eventually anyway.

#9 Barry A. Waters

Barry A. Waters

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:58 PM

Folks,

Much food for thought above, thanks! I spent some time today closely looking at it and it sure appears to be between the outer lens and middle lens. Given the chance it was dust on the rear side of the third lens, I got a good sized Giotto Rocket blower and had the wife blow up the tube while I watched from the objective side. Nothing moved and while not 'up close' to the lens, I could feel the Rocket when she pointed it at me from that end so I know the interior surface of that third lens was getting some decent air. I would have expected at least SOMETHING to move but nothing did so it must be inside the triplet assembly itself.

Real careful comparison between a a few pieces of actual dust on the outer objective and the things I'm seeing 'inside' shows they are not too similar. It's almost like what I'm seeing is many, MANY teeny, tiny bubbles. I have OUTSTANDING close-up vision, I can easily discern individual atomic particles. The real dust looks a bit irregular and elongated and my gremlins all look like pin-point specs. A coating fault perhaps?

Anyway I'm calling Meade tomorrow from a warranty standpoint. From what I'm reading I need an RMA and I'll have to pay Shipping & Insurance to get it there. I don't think it can be returned to B&H Photo for this and they don't have anymore in stock anyway. A lot of this stuff is produced in China (Meade, Orion and others APO's) and stock has dried up due to the trade war I imagine. "More On The WAY!", "Back Ordered" and "Let Us Notify You When It's In Stock!" messages abound on the various seller's websites.

I almost hate to let it out of my hands but what I'm seeing just CAN'T be right! I wonder if Meade can even repair it stateside. I think they do the SCT stuff in Irving, CA but I'm not sure about the APO refractors as they are produced offshore. It takes special gear to align & gap the lens elements and I'm not confident they have that capability here but I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

This is most definitely NOT how I wanted this purchase to go! :-)

Barry

#10 Echolight

Echolight

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:13 PM

Do a star test, if it's good then for goodness sake don't send it back and end up with a rubbish lens that is clean as a whistle. If it's a good lens you can always clean it. You will have to clean it eventually anyway.

Why would an APO triplet have a "rubbish lens"?

Edited by Echolight, 28 June 2020 - 09:14 PM.

#11 Barry A. Waters

Barry A. Waters

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:45 PM

Looks like it can be returned & refunded via B&H so that's the route I'm going. They have already sent an RMA and a pre-paid Fed-Ex Label for me to use so it goes out tomorrow. That sure simplified things!

Barry

#12 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:47 PM

Why not contact Astronomics and ask when they think their  Astro-Tech 115mm will be in stock?

Several CN users have had very positive comments on that scope..and its $$ less than the Mead

• Barry A. Waters likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics