•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Apertura 72mm FPL-53 APO

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 2696

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:02 AM

I've been looking around at some 3" refractors and the AT72EDII is a strong option for me right now and I found out that the Apertura branded ones were labeled as APO and $100 more. Same glass from what I can tell but this one is an APO. Is it worth the extra $100 for the fact that it's an APO? Is it a true APO to begin with? If anyone has any more info or experience with it please let me know, thanks.

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:32 AM

Since it is using FPL-53 glass it SHOULD offer better color correction than a typical achromat of equal focal length and aperture. However, there is no uniform marketing on what "APO" should mean so I wouldn't allow that terminology to either make or break your choice. I have the older AT72ED and I think it is a pretty nice scope and this one should be somewhat better.

Be aware, however, that it may take some time to get this scope (they are often on backorder).

• OldManSky likes this

#3 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:41 AM

I can't compare the Apertura to the Astro-Tech, but I can tell you this. I own an Astro-Tech AT111ED Triplet and it is exquisite. Great optics, great build and aesthetically beautiful. I truly believe Astro-Tech scopes are heirloom quality. That's why when I was shopping for a new grab and go I ordered the AT72EDll. I am sure the AT72EDll  will compare to my 111 in overall quality. I have been waiting for it to come back into stock and it finally has. I ordered it last week and hopefully will receive it this week. So, the bottom line is, I would go with the AT72EDll.  Mark

Edited by rgsalinger, 28 June 2020 - 03:44 PM.

#4 2696

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:48 AM

Since it is using FPL-53 glass it SHOULD offer better color correction than a typical achromat of equal focal length and aperture. However, there is no uniform marketing on what "APO" should mean so I wouldn't allow that terminology to either make or break your choice. I have the older AT72ED and I think it is a pretty nice scope and this one should be somewhat better.

Be aware, however, that it may take some time to get this scope (they are often on backorder).

I suppose you're right, it just caught my attention because it was fairly more expensive even though it's basically the same scope. Thanks.

#5 2696

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:52 AM

I can't compare the Apertura to the Astro-Tech, but I can tell you this. I own an Astro-Tech AT111ED Triplet and it is exquisite. Great optics, great build and aesthetically beautiful. I truly believe Astro-Tech scopes are heirloom quality. That's why when I was shopping for a new grab and go I ordered the AT72EDll. I am sure the AT72EDll will compare to my 111 in overall quality. I have been waiting for it to come back into stock and it finally has. I ordered it last week and hopefully will receive it this week. So, the bottom line is, I would go with the AT72EDll. Mark

I have an AT102ED and I agree about the quality, great build and great optics for a great price. Can't beat it. But I was definitely leaning towards the AT72, looks like an awesome scope for the price, I was also waiting for it to be back in stock, still says "more on the way" though. Did I just miss them?
  • MarkGregory likes this

#6 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:45 AM

Hmmmm. Interesting, just went on line for the telescope and it says, “more on the way.” Maybe they sold out again. My bank account was charged for the scope, so I assume mine is on its way to me. 

Edited by MarkGregory, 28 June 2020 - 07:49 AM.

#7 2696

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:58 AM

Hmmmm. Interesting, just went on line for the telescope and it says, “more on the way.” Maybe they sold out again. My bank account was charged for the scope, so I assume mine is on its way to me.

If you were charged I'd assume yours is on the way. At least I'd hope.. I'm not exactly looking to purchase it right this second anyways so not too big of a deal, I may contact Astronomics to see when they're getting more.
  • MarkGregory likes this

#8 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:31 PM

I see no reason whatsoever to go for the Apertura version versus the AT’s. This has, btw, nothing to do w favoring AT scopes cuz astronomics and their CN. Or that maybe they offer a small discount for CNers. It’s simply the same thing labeled differently w the same good glass In both. Go for less expensive w at least the same if not better level of CS. Just my 2 cents no one asked for. 😉😂

Edited by belgrade, 28 June 2020 - 12:32 PM.

• MarkGregory likes this

#9 2696

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2020 - 03:47 PM

I see no reason whatsoever to go for the Apertura version versus the AT’s. This has, btw, nothing to do w favoring AT scopes cuz astronomics and their CN. Or that maybe they offer a small discount for CNers. It’s simply the same thing labeled differently w the same good glass In both. Go for less expensive w at least the same if not better level of CS. Just my 2 cents no one asked for. 😉😂

You have a point, I was just curious as to why this scope was $100 more. I may be wrong but I thought it used to be the same price as the AT and they just recently changed the price and labeled it as an APO. Either way, I'm gonna go with the AT. Thanks.
  • MarkGregory likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics