•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need Bahtinov mask recommendation for Esprit 120 ED

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mborland

mborland

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:07 PM

I have an Esprit 120 ED on order and want to get a Bahtinov mask to use with it. I am considering the William Optics Diffraction Spikes mask for 172mm-235mm diameter dew shields. According to SW support, the outside diameter of the dew shield is 6.9" (172.7mm), so it seems it would be a tight fit. However, I found another source that gave 165 mm as the OD.

Does this WO mask (or perhaps another) fit the Esprit 120 ED? Is there another mask that would work better?

A more general question from a refractor proto-newbie*: With my present scope, an SCT, I use a mask that sits down inside the dew shield, almost against the corrector plate. Does putting the mask on the end of the extended dew shield on a refractor work? Would I use it with the dew shield retracted or removed?

Thanks for any information and suggestions!

--Michael

* Proto-newbie: someone who is about to become a newbie.

Edited by mborland, 28 June 2020 - 12:10 PM.

#2 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:28 PM

Look in the cn classifieds for "Doctor Benway"   he makes custom bahtinov masks for any scope. Via 3d printer. Perfect fit. About $30 including shipping. 

• mborland likes this

#3 Arcamigo

Arcamigo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gaston, Oregon, United States

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:01 PM

Our nice post lady just delivered one of those for me yesterday from Orion. It's a laser etched, 2mm thick plastic disc with adjustable, rubber coated screws/pegs. It looks like this one might work for you, but I would wait until I got the scope and was able to measure the OD myself before ordering.

I wouldn't try to get a hold of Orion though. Something is going on with them. They don't answer emails, chat goes to email that won't get answered, and phone call gets transferred to a technical support that won't answer.

• mborland likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics