•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Should I consider the Astromaster 90EQ telescope?

Celestron equipment refractor
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Theodore Beaty

Theodore Beaty

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: 20 miles North of Nashville TN

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:30 PM

I have been using a Meade LS8 for nearly four years now and I have been very satisfied. Having said that, it can be cumbersome to drag the beast out when there isn't much to see except the moon and maybe planets, or when I want to spend just half an hour out before bed. I originally started considering the power seeker eq60, but for some reason I kept increasing the aperture I wanted ;) I know the "veteran astronomers" will likely cringe at the thought of a cheap, small refractor, but I would like to hear from people who have used or are using this telescope. Is it easy to use? Is it made with tolerable quality? Basically, is it worth the $300? I don't plan to spend more than that much on whatever setup I get. Also, I do not want a reflecting telescope as that is more specialized for deep sky while I am looking for a solar system scope. The other option I would consider is finding the OTA and mount on the CN Classifieds and putting them  together myself. In the meantime, I am asking for the more informed to enlighten me about the quality and value of this specific apparatus. 

#2 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: NC

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:12 PM

Nope.
First, the focuser is plastic, along with the diagonal.

EQ mounts IMHO are best for planets or the Moon and you already have a tracking scope.

So what do I recommend?

Get a ST80 on an alt az mount, this will give you nice wide field veiws :)

Meade is offering this one https://www.bhphotov..._refractor.html

Edited by PXR-5, 28 June 2020 - 08:13 PM.

• drd715 likes this

#3 Echolight

Echolight

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:29 PM

The StarTravel 102 looks pretty cool.

• PXR-5 likes this

#4 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:33 PM

The StarTravel 102 looks pretty cool.

Yes, that does look nice :)

#5 Theodore Beaty

Theodore Beaty

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: 20 miles North of Nashville TN

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:04 PM

Nope.
First, the focuser is plastic, along with the diagonal.

EQ mounts IMHO are best for planets or the Moon and you already have a tracking scope.

So what do I recommend?

Get a ST80 on an alt az mount, this will give you nice wide field veiws smile.gif

Meade is offering this one https://www.bhphotov..._refractor.html

Thanks! Although, wouldn't a narrower, more magnified image be ideal for solar system? I have eyepieces ranging from 6mm-40mm as well as a 2X Barlow, so I could probably meet most of the narrower and wider fields that I would want with either a low or high f-ratio. I was also hoping that I could find something to increase my exposure times with an eq mount and later a tracker, but I strongly suspect the cheap EQs would be more frustrating than valuable. 

Edited by Theodore Beaty, 29 June 2020 - 04:06 PM.

#6 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:13 PM

I believe your current scope is f10 2000mm focal length?

So I would suggest something to complement it.
Hence a wide field scope.

An 8O or 100mm achromat refractor is not going to best your 8"

A wide field short tube will let you soak up the Milky Way better than your current scope, and will be fun on these summer nights :)
  • Steve Cox likes this

#7 Eigen

Eigen

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:33 PM

The tripod of the Astromaster mounts also leaves a lot to be desired. I believe that the Astromaster series is one of the greatest disservices done to amateur astronomy by any company. Terrible tripod, horrific!!! red-dot sights, plastic focusers, the newtons have spherical primaries...if one of these had been my first scope there is a good chance I would have abandoned astronomy at the get-go.

I think that if you shop around on the classifieds you can find a much better use of your money.

Also, if you are looking for a grab and go quick setup rig, I would go with an Alt-Az mount and pair it with a 80-100 short achro as PXR-5 said, especially since you have the LS8 for planetary. You might find yourself setting both rigs up at the same time on good nights, they really are complementary!

• PXR-5 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, equipment, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics