•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Portable OTA for astrophotography

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mr1337

mr1337

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:07 PM

Looking at finding a more portable solution for astrophotography and have been looking at the RedCat, GT-81, AstroTech 80EDT, Televue 85, SVX80T, SW 80 Esprit... RedCat is a bit of an outlier but was nice because it was the lightest option to be paired up with my SkyGuider Pro, but also looking to have an alternative to the 1422mm focal length of the EdgeHD8 on my primary mount (or maybe piggyback. Under $2k is an ideal target, else I'd be looking at something like a Baby-Q. 

Any recommendations or things I forgot to put into the consideration set? 

Thanks!

MR

#2 Hesiod

Hesiod

Soyuz

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:35 AM

With the SGP my first choice would be a 200-ish lens, as fast as can find (if have Canon their ef200l 2.8 is quite nice and not overly expensive).
If want a "telescope", beside the RedCat I would suggest the Vixen FL55ss (which was the one I chose, truly excellent), the Tak FS60 (IMHO has a worse focuser and its reducer is a bit outdated) or the Borg 55.

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:08 AM

I'd drop the longer heavier scopes off your list with that mount.

Camera lenses are good.  So is the Redcat.  The AT60ED is another possibility.

I like my Stellarvue SV70T, but availability from Stellarview is very restricted.  You can find them used.  Likewise used William Optics 71s (discontinued) with integrated flattener can be found.  This TS scope appears to be similar, I like my TS130 F7.

https://www.teleskop...-Objective.html

Meade has a quad 70.  I have no good information about quality.

Edited by bobzeq25, 29 June 2020 - 01:08 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics