•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Threekor (3 Beach) 220

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:14 PM

This scope made a brief appearance some time ago on CN and I was lucky enough to be offered it by its previous owner.  Most of you know I am rather taken with small scopes, so I couldn't let this one get by me.  I've finally gotten around to plying with this little scope and was pleasantly surprised.

It's a 40mm f/5.5 scope that reminds one of a miniature Tasco 9VR.  

IMG_0519 - Edited.jpg

It has all the accessories of a 9VR.  This is a very handy ring that also perfectly fits many 50mm scopes.  It has a 1/4-20 trdpod thread and a camera post.

IMG_0523 - Edited.jpg

It has a lightweight version of the Vixen slo-mo attachment that holds the scope pretty well.

IMG_0524 - Edited.jpg

The finder is a peep sight with a pair of sharpened grub screws at right angle that attaches to the scope ring.  Center the desired object at the two points and you have your target in the eyepiece - in theory, of course

IMG_0525 - Edited.jpg

IMG_0532 - Edited.jpg

It came with a barlow and an extension tube, which is needed with the barlow.

IMG_0526 - Edited.jpg

It has no R&P focuser, just a pull tube with a lock, but that works pretty well at low to medium powers.

IMG_0522 - Edited.jpg

Here's the fully assembled scope on a standard photo tripod.

IMG_0538 - Edited.jpg

And it takes a Vixen 1.25" visual back!  This setup gives a whopping 5.5x view.

IMG_0516 - Edited.jpg

I wasnt expecting great optics from a 40/220 scope, but again, I was quite surprised.  The objective is somewhat overcorrected, but still give very good images - sharp out to about 90% of the FOV with a very small amount of CA.  Here's the Ronchigram.  

Threecor outside - Edited.jpg

• DreamWeaver, deepwoods1, Chuck Hards and 6 others like this

#2 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:19 PM

A highly cropped shot of my TV dish.  This is a prime focus shot with a Nikon D3300.  Almost no CA.

DSC_1997 - Edited.jpg

And just for comparison, here's a 9VR, SV50 and the Threekor.  The Threekor compares quite favorably with the SV50.

IMG_0534 - Edited.jpg

• davidmcgo, Chuck Hards, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#3 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:22 PM

I did flock the entire scope and that did wonders for the contrast.

• Chuck Hards, Bomber Bob, GreyDay and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics