•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar 3.5 Jupiter, Saturn, Mars images (6/29/2020)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:46 AM

I woke up just after 2:00 AM and checked the skies. Man, the transparency was incredible and the Milky Way was mesmerizing! The seeing was average. I set up the Questar Field Model on it's Duplex Mount atop a Davis & Sanford lightweight tripod. I utilized a Questar focal reducer to bring it down to roughly f/12 in order to optimize the pixel size of the ZWO 178MC camera.

Here are the results from this morning. 

The images should look a little better when you open them. 

Mars is in the following post due to file size limits per post.

Thanks again for having a look!

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• 0328 AM Jupiter  png.png
  • 0333 AM Saturn png.png

• Paul Schroeder, scottinash, Bill Jensen and 12 others like this

#2 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:47 AM

And Mars.

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• 0348 AM Mars png.png

• scottinash, davidmcgo, Bill Jensen and 7 others like this

#3 Upstate New Yorker

Upstate New Yorker

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:07 AM

Outstanding, maybe even sharper than in the previous round.  Your Mars images will be something to behold at time of opposition!

• TerryWood likes this

#4 scottinash

scottinash

Vostok 1

• Loc: Tennessee, USA

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:27 AM

applause.gif  wow!!  The moons are luring me to zoom in.   How did they show on your full resolution files?

• TerryWood likes this

#5 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:45 AM

Beautiful  images!

• tbowkman and TerryWood like this

#6 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:37 PM

Terry, these are outstanding images and a great pleasure to look at!
  • TerryWood likes this

#7 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:49 PM

applause.gif  wow!!  The moons are luring me to zoom in.   How did they show on your full resolution files?

Thanks Scott! The moons look pretty much the same. I seem to do better at low frame rates and less gain, capturing more light and bringing out the moons more. I'm still expirementing with it. It's an adventure!

V/R

Terry

#8 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:57 PM

I really appreciate it everybody, so thanks again! I think I may have introduced quite a bit of noise while trying to adjust the colors/contrast in GIMP. I processed these without much sleep so things were a bit blurry this morning! I will re-process just to see if I can make them better.

I'll be out there again this coming morning. The GRS will be right in the center at 2:30 EDT!

V/R

Terry

• ETXer likes this

#9 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:59 PM

Terry, these are outstanding images and a great pleasure to look at!

Thanks again Erik! They looked pretty good visually too, especially Jupiter. And I could clearly see the polar ice cap on Mars.

Would you rather us create just one thread for imaging discussions and posting images? Would it save space and result in less clutter? I tend to post a lot of images and I feel like I'm wearing out my welcome by having multiple threads.

V/R

Terry

• ETXer likes this

#10 ETXer

ETXer

Viking 1

• Loc: Rockville, MD USA

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:59 PM

... I feel like I'm wearing out my welcome by having multiple threads.

V/R

Terry

Not in the least Terry! If I could be out there the same time (right now my work schedule precludes that now), I’d be out there trying the exact same thing, and posting it here. Your results are excellent and motivating, setting the bar of what to shoot for, keep it up! I hope to emulate your work when the timing suits, I think in the fall.

Cheers, Allan

Edited by ETXer, 29 June 2020 - 05:03 PM.

• TerryWood likes this

#11 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:15 PM

Thanks Allan! My bar isn't too high! I hope you have a chance to get out there before the Fall. However, it is a lot more comfortable during that time that's for sure. It's bug town right now! V/R Terry
  • ETXer likes this

#12 medpeds

medpeds

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:53 AM

I think that all of us on the forum continue to be amazed by the capabilities of our diminuitive Qs! For comparison, those of you who subscribe to Sky&Telescope should look at the planetary photos in the article "Revealing the Planets" starting on page 58 of the current August, 2020 issue. The author appears to be using a C14 to acquire his images. While the ultimate resolution is modestly higher in the C14 images, I feel that the convenience factors (weight, portability, cool down time, permanent collimation etc.) of the Q more than make up for the extra aperture.

• TerryWood likes this

#13 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:09 PM

One thing that was apparent while looking through my C-11 was that visually Jupiter looked like a processed image from my Q3.5. Probably better because the subtle colors are much more balanced and nuanced. However, as much as I love my C-11 (and I really do), the Questar gets far more use than any telescope I own. All the reasons you listed are right on the money. Plus I like pushing the boundaries and limits of the Questar because I know it is very capable. And it's fun because everything is so compact and not cumbersome. It feels gadgety and scientific and all within reach, and I like that!

V/R

Terry

Edited by TerryWood, 30 June 2020 - 06:09 PM.

• tbowkman, JamesMStephens and medpeds like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics