•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who was your first ATM mentor?

mirror making ATM beginner
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 danmdak

danmdak

Messenger

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:54 PM

Russell Porter

• tim53 likes this

#27 Pezdragon

Pezdragon

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bay Area, Ca.

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:34 PM

My early amateur years in the mid-late sixties it would be John Dobson, first taking one of his early classes in San Francisco and then several years of his weekend visits at my home to help with larger projects or just as likely me helping polish the 24” out in the front yard. Lots of sharp verbal encouragement

The early Seventies I’d be working summers at Tinsley Labs where master German opticians ( thank you Joe Linke ) would be wary of my amateur efforts but managed to mold me into a decent optician that ended up with a job running the optics shop at a National Laboratory for 30 years.

I’ve been fortunate to have the right people at the right time to show the way.....

• gnabgib, racunniff, Oregon-raybender and 3 others like this

#28 philipdo

philipdo

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Flanders, Belgium, Europe

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:10 PM

My early ATM days date back to the mid sixties. In high school we had a teacher responsible for the music classes. He was a real renaissance man, extremely gifted and with many interests. He built complex musical instruments such as organs... and telescopes. With a small group we learned the art of mirror making from him. He was a personal friend of Anton Kutter and made the first Kutter Schiefspiegler outside of Germany in the late fifties. Unfortunately, when testing the optics, the secondary mirror broke and the scope never got finished. He also had a wonderful folded 140 mm refractor built around a WWII German submarine periscope objective. Wonderful memories and the start of a lifetime hobby.

philip

Edited by philipdo, 01 July 2020 - 01:12 PM.

• Augustus likes this

#29 Oregon-raybender

Oregon-raybender

Optical Research Engineer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon, South Western Coast

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:58 PM

Pezdragon, I remember that time well. We did have fun and learned so much. Joe Linke did change us from a ATM to Master Opticians. It did take 30 years for him to say that to me, well you know those German mentors are a hard brunch. bow.gif

Starry Nightswaytogo.gif

• SandyHouTex and Pezdragon like this

#30 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:42 PM

This forum and its members posts. Every little bit of information I now know was found here posted by all of you.

#31 Stargazer

Stargazer

Ranger 4

• Loc: NewBrunswick, Canada

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:31 PM

The A.T.M. list and its members,had a lot of helpful advice from them when doing my 10" back in 2001,David Harbour helped me to finish it up,if I remember correctly it was using a full size lap on the 10" with no channels, seems like eons ago.

#32 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:08 PM

Porter and Ingalls.

• MKV likes this

#33 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:51 PM

Making Your Own Telescope 4th printing in 1954  by Allyn Thompson purchased in 1959 new with all the money I made in one week $4.00 with my paper route.

Frank

#34 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:24 PM

Dan Joyce, Chicago. Great friend and mentor.

• Jeff B1 likes this

#35 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:40 PM

Russell Porter, via ATM I and II, inspired me to make my 8" Springfield in 1981.  But that was using Optical Craftsmen optics.

For live mentors, credit has to go to Dave Groski and Dick Parker at the 3 Delmarva classes I attended, including the second one when I finished a Telescopics kit that I'd bought in 1973 and got through fine grinding via help from Neal Howard's book.  

-Tim.

#36 a__l

a__l

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:51 PM

Internet.

#37 Arjan

Arjan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted Yesterday, 06:53 AM

Does an archive exist for the ATM Listserve?

The ATM list is still active (sort of).

I think in the past there have been archives, not sure where they are right now. I could do some archaeological research on my computer...

By the way, for me too, the ATM list and Texereau have been my sources of guidance for my first endeavors in ATM land.

Edit: I still get a Google hit at starastronomy.org , IIRC it was Mike Lindner who managed it back in the day.

Edited by Arjan, Yesterday, 07:04 AM.

• Pinbout likes this

#38 Don H

Don H

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Near Tucson, AZ

Posted Today, 04:47 PM

Jim Seevers, from Adler Planetarium in Chicago. When I first got started in the mid 80s, I joined the Calumet Club. That was when I found out that Jim lived in my same hometown, Dyer, IN. He taught me and my ATM friend, Tom, a great deal about mirror making. Got to hang out in his basement, at Astrofest, and his Lansing, IL shop over the years. Was able to finish many mirrors with his help, and later independently as time went by. It was great fun and even though it has been a long time since, I still have many great memories and a few fine telescopes, too. Thanks again, Jim...

Edited by Don H, Today, 04:48 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mirror making, ATM, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics