•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX85 Series - 115mm Apochromatic Refractor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Murff

Murff

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rogue River, Oregon

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:51 AM

Guess I should ask this here...

Does anyone have experience with the LX85 Series - 115mm Apochromatic Refractor?

I'm coming back to astronomy, and I'm looking for a scope for good observing, and later, moving into imaging.
I owned a Meade 10" SCT back in the mid 90's and loved it. 

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

• Rollo and Upstate New Yorker like this

#2 Supernova74

Supernova74

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:05 PM

I think Meade mainly concentrate on there sct cassagrain line up of scopes.strange as it sounds I don,t here a lot about there is it 6000 series of APO,s like most things thease days most probably designed by Meade USA and contracted to be made in China.there are so many contenders now in the APO Triplet and doublet refractor market now it’s unbelievable.most dedicated imagers seem to go for the likes of APM TEC Taks the japenese brand.

i think we will come in to the age very shortly take your pick as they will be all good scopes

#3 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:30 PM

Yes the Meade Apos are Chinese rebrands. They are a fine value, if priced similar to the various rebrands. But they aren’t anything special compared to other Apos . So they are solid, proven scopes, whether you buy the Meade version or another brand. They are the Chevy / Ford of the Apo refractor world.

Scott

#4 Murff

Murff

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rogue River, Oregon

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:08 PM

Thank you both for the info.  Gonna have to do more research and see if there's something better I can get for around the same price range ($2500-$3000).

No problem though, I'm not in a huge rush smile.gif

Edited by Murff, 29 June 2020 - 05:08 PM.

#5 Echolight

Echolight

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:51 PM

They had the Skywatcher ED120 on sale a couple of days ago for $1699.

The imaging guys would tell you to spend that money on a mount suited for a 7 or 8 inch refractor.

And then get a scope that weighs about 5 pounds to mount on it.

#6 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:58 PM

Thank you both for the info.  Gonna have to do more research and see if there's something better I can get for around the same price range ($2500-$3000).

No problem though, I'm not in a huge rush smile.gif

without the mount, in the price range you give, you could have a takahashi fc-100 dl and buy your mount later.
you say don't be in a hurry, that could be an option.

• NickWDavis likes this

#7 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:12 PM

On sale for $500 off: https://www.vixenopt...tor-p/26148.htm

#8 Upstate New Yorker

Upstate New Yorker

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:23 PM

Does anyone have experience with the LX85 Series - 115mm Apochromatic Refractor?

Hi, I own a Meade Series 6000 80 mm and I really like this telescope both for its optics, its mechanics, and its portability.  As for the 115 mm, Rod Molise wrote a positive review of it in a recent Sky and Telescope issue.  I wouldn't sell the Meade Series 6000 apochromatic reflectors short: they are garnering very positive reviews, and I like mine.  Very good quality at a reasonable price.  Also, this is a telescope that you will never outgrow.  You can use it even when larger scopes become too much to handle.

• Rollo likes this

#9 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:36 PM

They had the Skywatcher ED120 on sale a couple of days ago for $1699.

The imaging guys would tell you to spend that money on a mount suited for a 7 or 8 inch refractor.

And then get a scope that weighs about 5 pounds to mount on it.

Nothing special about the ED120.  I think the quality on them varies a bit from what I've seen.  Also, it's not set-up for deepsky imaging

I'm coming back to astronomy, and I'm looking for a scope for good observing, and later, moving into imaging.

Thanks

The Meades are actually very good scopes and you won't noticeably exceed them without spending a LOT more for Japanese, American or German scopes and because they are all apos, the improvement with a small scope is going to be incremental.  You'd see a much larger improvement on planets and deepsky just going to an 8" SCT or 7" Mak of known good quality. 

#10 Upstate New Yorker

Upstate New Yorker

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:13 AM

Thanks

Dear Murff,

I share your liking for Meade's Schmidt-Cassegrain line.  I have an original 8 inch LX2 that I have maintained, despite its age, and that includes recoating of the primary and secondary mirrors.  It was a very productive telescope for me, and I saw roughly 150 deep sky objects, plus double stars, plus the planets using it.  Then, like you, I left the hobby because of work, which went on at the rate of 60+ hours per week for the next 30 years.  (I liked the work by the way, and I continue to like it.)

During that long time away, Meade diversified its offerings.  In particular, it entered the refractor market in a very big way.  The Series 6000 apochromatic refractors are the latest iteration of this effort.  In searching for an 80 mm: take anywhere: high quality telescope, I found that the reasonably priced Meade version looked like the answer.  But you know what they say: caveat emptor.  And so I first read all the reviews of the Series 6000.  I could not find a single negative review.  Most important, I could not find any expression of buyer's remorse in the Cloudy Nights reviews.   See Rob Molise's  review in Sky and Telescope of the 115 mm model, where he pulls no punches.

The point is: these refractors are not an afterthought by Meade.  They are a vital new line of business for the company, that appeals to buyers who want a more portable line of telescopes in the age of light pollution.  I like the fact that I can handle this scope with ease and that it gives excellent views of the moon and planets, double stars, and brighter deep sky objects.  I recently added a glass solar filter for solar observing.  Once I have learned, it will be an excellent telescope for photography, given its 480 mm focal length.

No buyer's remorse here.

Edited by Upstate New Yorker, 02 July 2020 - 06:25 AM.

• delorehal likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics