•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help me spend my money?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 StillLearning

StillLearning

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:09 AM

Hello everyone! I thought you guys might enjoy helping me spend my newfound telescope fund. Im new to astronomy but i enjoy it enough to justify getting a nice scope.  I live in a bortle 4ish zone, 3 is very close by. I don't have much interest in AP but I do enjoy getting a few cell phone pics with the adapter that came with my mead. 

I would say 99% of my viewing will be in my back yard. I have a decent strip of sky going east to west but trees blocking alot of the north and south. Its also hard to come by a flat spot on my property.  I can get around the trees by relocating in the yard. For these reasons I went with a simple mount for my first scope. 

So i want to get myself a big ol dob. I realize moving around throughout the night will not be easy with a big dob, but i think i can either live with that, or make a few platforms in the yard to use. 

My budget is $700. Im thinking i want a 8" or 10" dob . I don't really want to mess with goto scopes due to my limited sky/ possibility that I will be moving the scope mid viewing. 

I'm not sure if it would make more since to get the best 8" I can afford possibly with a few extra EP or other accessories. Or just get a "base" 10" to get the extra light gathering and worry about accessories later. 

For what its worth im in my early 30's and im not worried about weight or transportation issues with the scope. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help/ slap on the nose you guys may give me! 

#2 Jeff L

Jeff L

Messenger

• Loc: Easton. Pa

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:16 AM

Buy the 10” and a chainsaw.

• SteveV, icomet, Hesiod and 8 others like this

#3 InkDark

InkDark

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Province of Quebec, Canada

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:18 AM

... Or just get a "base" 10" to get the extra light gathering and worry about accessories later. 

Sounds like you know pretty much what you want. I would go with this option. Otherwise, you might wonder "what if..."

Then you can look at used EPs...eventually. 

• StillLearning likes this

#4 StillLearning

StillLearning

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:23 AM

Buy the 10” and a chainsaw.

Oh ive been eyeing this one huge pen oak in particular. I hate those trees anyways.....i dont think this one is going to make it too much longer. 

• Szumi likes this

#5 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:27 AM

The 10" with a Telrad and a 8X50 RACI finder, and an adjustable drum throne seat would do you well. Quality 8' and 10" Dobs hold their value well, and when its time to upgrade to the 16" Obsession......

• Knasal and StillLearning like this

#6 Knasal

Knasal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:44 AM

The 10" with a Telrad and a 8X50 RACI finder, and an adjustable drum throne seat would do you well. Quality 8' and 10" Dobs hold their value well, and when its time to upgrade to the 16" Obsession......

+1... Nice recommendation...

Kevin 

#7 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:45 AM

I would spend the bulk on the scope. You can always ask for eyepieces for birthday or Christmas.

Scott
  • Forward Scatter and StillLearning like this

#8 Tangerman

Tangerman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:53 AM

The Apertura AD10 (or Zhumell 10", same scope) is a nice starting package. Comes with a RACI finder, good base, two eyepieces that aren't bad, laser collimator, fan, moon filter, good focuser. Best of all, it's less than $700 (or was when I last checked)

• kfiscus, Knasal, vdog and 2 others like this

#9 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:08 PM

I would spend the bulk on the scope. You can always ask for eyepieces for birthday or Christmas.

Scott

But beware....

New scopes result in a curse of 1 month cloudy and rainy weather.

New eyepieces, 2-5 weeks crappy weather, depending on the AFOV. Kellners result in perfect skies. Televues, well......

New camera results in 2-6 months of clouds or smoke, based on QE, pixel array and price.

#10 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:09 PM

The Apertura AD10 (or Zhumell 10", same scope) is a nice starting package. Comes with a RACI finder, good base, two eyepieces that aren't bad, laser collimator, fan, moon filter, good focuser. Best of all, it's less than $700 (or was when I last checked)

That is a really nice package! Right at $700 from Highpoint!

• Lister85 and StillLearning like this

#11 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:05 PM

AD10.  You can thank us later.

• stargazer193857, Knasal, Forward Scatter and 1 other like this

#12 mg07

mg07

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:07 PM

I went AD8 to get my feet wet (after a Starblast 4.5, a step I probably should/could have skipped). Kind of wish I had gone straight for the 10, but there's still plenty to see and this way an Apertura AD12 will be a real upgrade later. Then I can hold myself off from buying a really expensive scope. Right? Wait, that's never worked for anyone on this forum...

• stargazer193857 and StillLearning like this

#13 Lister85

Lister85

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:21 PM

^ I second this. Best value you'll find in a dob today.

• Knasal and StillLearning like this

#14 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:19 PM

10" scopes range from $500 to $700 or more. The difference is not just the time of year, but accessories that come with it. An RDF costs less than an RACI, etc.

#15 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:24 PM

The 8" is a teaser. The 10" is a pleaser.
  • SteveG, Forward Scatter, Tangerman and 1 other like this

#16 gwlee

gwlee

Vanguard

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:06 PM

If you can handle the extra bulk and weight of the 10, it will show you more, and you will enjoy it more.  If you can’t move it around easily to tree dodge (I couldn’t), you probably won’t use it much, especially after the new wears off. Looking at websites the difference in weight and bulk might seem insignificant, but becomes significant in use, which is why I have the 8. 

• stargazer193857, howardcano and StillLearning like this

#17 Supernova74

Supernova74

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:18 PM

I would say sky’s the limit does,nt seem to be in your case tho. Wow. Bit of old school Astronomy in freezing cold reading starmaps then!?.well if you don,t mind tinkering about in collomation of the primary mirror then again I’ve heard that Exsplore scientific do some very easy truss tube dobs to collomate don,t cost a bomb very portable for there size I would say to clearer sky’s not needed in your case by the sound of things.if you cannot move the obstacles find somewhere without them.i would say 10-12” 

#18 jnmacastro

jnmacastro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SE Minnesota

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:17 PM

Young and strong, definitely the 10 instead of the 8.   You get that 8 and pretty soon you may want that 12.  smile.gif

#19 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Ranger 4

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:23 PM

Hello everyone! I thought you guys might enjoy helping me spend my newfound telescope fund. Im new to astronomy but i enjoy it enough to justify getting a nice scope.  I live in a bortle 4ish zone, 3 is very close by. I don't have much interest in AP but I do enjoy getting a few cell phone pics with the adapter that came with my mead. 

I would say 99% of my viewing will be in my back yard. I have a decent strip of sky going east to west but trees blocking alot of the north and south. Its also hard to come by a flat spot on my property.  I can get around the trees by relocating in the yard. For these reasons I went with a simple mount for my first scope. 

So i want to get myself a big ol dob. I realize moving around throughout the night will not be easy with a big dob, but i think i can either live with that, or make a few platforms in the yard to use. 

My budget is $700. Im thinking i want a 8" or 10" dob . I don't really want to mess with goto scopes due to my limited sky/ possibility that I will be moving the scope mid viewing. 

I'm not sure if it would make more since to get the best 8" I can afford possibly with a few extra EP or other accessories. Or just get a "base" 10" to get the extra light gathering and worry about accessories later. 

For what its worth im in my early 30's and im not worried about weight or transportation issues with the scope. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help/ slap on the nose you guys may give me! 

Not sure what eyepieces you have with your Meade refractor, but I would plan on budgeting about $100 for a couple of decent plossl's, unless you have those already covered. Used eyepieces, as someone has mentioned, are a great option to stay within budget  

Astronomics, the CN sponsor, offers a discount for CN members, so you may want to contact them. Also, if you go with the Explore Scientific dobs, their bearings are much larger than some of the other options out there, and that will mean smoother motions, something you will appreciate as you pump up the power. For example, if you are close to a Costco, they have the 10 inch truss Explore Scientific for $600. It was on sale not that long ago too, so sales do pop up from time to time. 

If you don't have a good star chart, I find the Pocket Sky Atlas to be very nice from S&T. 

You may also want to budget for joining your local astronomy club, in case you have not already done so. 

#20 howardcano

howardcano

Viking 1

• Loc: Olathe, KS

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:20 PM

My budget is $700. Im thinking i want a 8" or 10" dob... I'm not sure if it would make more since to get the best 8" I can afford possibly with a few extra EP or other accessories. 

You may find that the 10" (F/4.7ish?) needs a coma corrector to give you the image you desire.  That's a relatively expensive item.  You'll probably find that the 8" F/6 won't need it.

Either one will be easier to schlep around with a two-wheel handcart.  You're young now, but why accelerate the aging process?

Edited by howardcano, 29 June 2020 - 07:22 PM.

#21 icomet

icomet

Vostok 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:02 PM

Be patient, wait and see what may show up.

I just helped my friend sell this for him.

16" f/4.5

Clear Skies.

Forgot. $600

Attached Thumbnails

• Nick's 16 inch f_4.5.JPG

Edited by icomet, 29 June 2020 - 08:02 PM.

• Bill Jensen and StillLearning like this

#22 icomet

icomet

Vostok 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:19 PM

I paid $100 to get this one.

Clear Skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• Cave Astrola 1sm.jpg

• N3p and StillLearning like this

#23 Echolight

Echolight

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:20 PM

Sell a couple cords of wood and get a Startravel 102 and a 10" dob.

If I had bortle 4 skies with bortle 3 nearby that's what I would've done.

#24 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:25 PM

I would recommend you to go to the store and see the 8" and the 10", lift them individually, the weight, it doesn't matter if you are 30, it's actually worse then being a retired old timer. On a summer week night, the sun is down at 10:00 PM it's already 30 minutes past bed time, It's in these condition that the weight has a major effect on motivation. Thinking here is an illusion, the real thing is much harder.

Moving around the 10" to go outside at 10PM in a summer night full of mosquitoes, giant ones occasionally, the weight matters TWM lol.gif (little political joke). It's not just about buying stuff.. it's a battle between astronomy and relaxing in front of the TV after a hard day at work.

In my opinion only, I would pick a 8" with tracking before a manual 10" hands down.With a tracking instrument you can really focus on 1 object, sketch it, write logs, the level of involvement is greater. I rarely read people talking about this.

I vote for a 8" with tracking, it's not in the choices but it's ok, it's an alternative idea.

With the tracking you have access to other valuable things for the observation, you can take your time on an object, sketch, write logs go walk around, think. You come back and the project is STILL IN the eyepiece for further examination. YEAA that's that I like. 

A Thermacell is perhaps more important the telescope itself.

#25 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:30 PM

I paid $100 to get this one.

Clear Skies.

Ahhhhhhhhh bigshock.gif are you serious 100 only ??  it's beautiful. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics