•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A big thank you to all the sketchers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rob_G

Rob_G

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Syracuse, NY

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:31 AM

I do not have any drawing abilities whatsoever, so I don't sketch myself.  But I just want to thank those who do and are willing to share their sketches with the rest of us.  Not only do I enjoy looking at the sketches, but the sketches also provide a very realistic view of what the image will likely look like in a telescope.  Not a long-exposure photograph.  But what the object looks like to the human eye.  This is quickly becoming my favorite forum on the site.  

• steve t, niteskystargazer, Anthony236J and 8 others like this

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:07 PM

Rob,

I can tell you this, everyone can sketch. Just start by picking targets that are relatively easy. For example you could sketch the stars of a small constellation like lyra or scutum or the phases of the Moon without including a lot of detail.

You can do it. Just pencil and paper to start.

Frank :)

• Anthony236J and nerich like this

#3 nerich

nerich

Viking 1

• Loc: Greensboro, NC

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:07 PM

Rob, welcome! 

I'm sure many others will agree with me: you can sketch with any amount of inherent ability. Talent is one thing, technique is another, and neither are really required. Making a sketch is as much (or more) about deepening your observation as it is sharing your observation with others. So have at it! 

• frank5817 and Kimbo_2112 like this

#4 Rob_G

Rob_G

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Syracuse, NY

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:27 PM

I appreciate the encouragement.  But not only do I lack artistic skills, I lack the most important skill needed - patience.  cool.gif   Plus, I just wouldn't enjoy trying to draw.  But, maybe, one of these days, I'll give it a go.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics