•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Why is it we always buy another scope when we are happy with the one we have?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#51 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:00 PM

that’s just the nature of the beast I suppose!?most folk don,t seem to be happy in owning just one scope I am tho and it’s taken me along time to get there.i can understand why some amateur astronomers own perhaps 2-3 scopes in there stable so to speak.as thay all have there set purposes and strengths and weaknesses.

however there was a similer topic on cloudy nights a little while back perhaps a few weeks or so 

and heard some who own over 20 scopes.in my books that’s a tad obsessive and perhaps for some would be considered unhealthy.as even tho you can be passionate about your hobby there is a thin line there when enough is enough 

simperly don,t go beyond your means or budget.i also find it rather ironic that most of us myself included we all at times actually think about that next or initial puchase ie on a scope,eyepiece or accessory than actually observe in the first place and that mainly goes down to the weather being clear especially here in the uk

when it comes to Astronomy it can also be a little hit and miss at times especially the scopes and accessories we own and trial and error does come into play.and lastly there was a topic a few weeks back on the forums and obviously this guy had rather deep pockets as he was considering purchasing a $250,000 set up and was asking advice about it. And I advised him to the best of my ability as he was entering the realm of a niche market the best thing to do is get the scope and mount professionally installed as most on cloudy nights would not own that kind of kit and maybe it’s best to go through Astronomy outreach channel.

Edited by Supernova74, 02 July 2020 - 12:02 PM.

#52 GreyDay

GreyDay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:28 PM

however there was a similer topic on cloudy nights a little while back perhaps a few weeks or so 

and heard some who own over 20 scopes.in my books that’s a tad obsessive and perhaps for some would be considered unhealthy.as even tho you can be passionate about your hobby there is a thin line there when enough is enough

Over 20 (me smile.gif ) and many others, i would like to collect all of one brand like others here who have collected unitrons, tascos, edmunds etc. It's a hobby in much the same way as a friend of mine has a drinking hobby that eats half his salary. I have something to show for my money and can easily recoup that spending.

personally i stay within my means and budget so i don't see anything unhealthy. If it wasn't telescopes it would be motorcycles! as others have said they don't just collect scopes there are guitars, cars, clocks, radios etc but i wouldn't call any collection unhealthy unless it was impacting their (or others) lives negatively.

would i be happy with just one telescope? i doubt it as they haven't invented the telescope that does everything yet.

Edited by GreyDay, 02 July 2020 - 12:33 PM.

• deepwoods1, Terra Nova, oldmanastro and 2 others like this

#53 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:33 PM

Over 20 (me smile.gif ) and many others, i would like to collect all of one brand like others here who have collected unitrons, tascos, edmunds etc. It's a hobby in much the same way as a friend of mine has a drinking hobby that eats half his salary.

personally i stay within my means and budget so i don't see anything unhealthy. If it wasn't telescopes it would be motorcycles! as others have said they don't just collect scopes there are guitars, cars, clocks, radios etc but i wouldn't call any collection unhealthy unless it was impacting their (or others) lives negatively.

would i be happy with just one telescope? i doubt it as they haven't invented the telescope that does everything yet.

As long as your happy my far away Astro friend some people collect stamps you collect scopes maybe you could open a scope museum  

(ps then again not so far)

Edited by Supernova74, 02 July 2020 - 12:34 PM.

• GreyDay likes this

#54 GreyDay

GreyDay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:45 PM

you collect scopes maybe you could open a scope museum 

Most of my scopes wouldn't make it into a museum :) the Zeiss maybe the Pentax but i doubt my Tasco collection would make it :(

A lot of my collection have been bought for less then a trip to Starbucks! a few for twice that and only 3 cost more than £100. Together my collection wouldn't get me a Takahashi if i traded them in (or could they?) besides a thousand GBP for just one scope is still not on my acceptable spending chart. i can afford to but just don't feel the need as yet.

#55 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:12 PM

Just dawned on me...  If that Meade 390 refractor turns out to be a Keeper, I could repaint it to match my Mizar Super Polaris...  I was more interested in testing one of the blue Meade / Mizar refractors, so I guess I'm still on the look-out.

• Terra Nova, rcwolpert and GreyDay like this

#56 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:34 PM

Today I started thinking about all the scopes I have bought.  Both classic and non classic.  I have had some wonderful scopes over the last 50 years.   Some I still have some I sold.   When I started thinking about it some of the best scopes with the best optics I sold.  Not all of them, but some of them.  I always thought that with this hobby once you have a scope with awesome optics you stick with that scope.  However, for some of us that does not seem to be the case. We keep buying scope after scope and telling everyone about the really awesome one that got away.  I know for some this is called the hunt, but the hunt for what?

With me, it's always curiosity.  I'll even buy what I'm pretty sure is nothing special, just to find out something specific about it.  With high-end scopes, you are always looking for the one with the little extra quality, though that's hard to do specifically, unless you want to hang-on to every scope you buy and compare them.

• GreyDay likes this

#57 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:44 AM

It was the thrill of the buy for me most times.

• Rollo, Bomber Bob and Tropobob like this

#58 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:46 AM

I am enjoying this thread.  This rings true with me.

I'm not someone searching for perfection, I find a scope that's a good fit for observing the way I like to observe and I keep it.  I've had my 10 inch GSO Dob for 17 years. It's never been my biggest or best scope but it's a good one.  I spend a lot of time observing and I want good scopes and I want choices but I'm OK with good. 

Some people think in terms of improving the weakest link. I'm confident my equipment is good enough that the weakest link is me, my skills, my knowledge and understanding, there's plenty of room for me to grow before my equipment is the limiting factor.

Observing is my primary interest but I'm also an inverterate bargain hunter with a curiosity to satisfy. I see a deal on a nice older scope and my eyes light up and as my friend Bob says, "It makes me nervous." This where my interest in Classics arose. I like simple things that have stood the test of time. Enjoying and RV-6 or an 80 mm F/11 in the backyard is an enjoyable evening.

But as Terra said, we learn about ourselves. Every scope purchased for curiosity and variety eventually deserves a new home where it's appreciated and enjoyed rather than just another box in a corner. That means finding a new home and the inevitable boxing up and shipping. So, I've learned to control my urges and confine myself to window shopping the ads.

Jon

Window shopping till maybe the next time, lol ! That urge, that curiosity never leaves us completely, lol !

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#59 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:04 AM

It was the thrill of the buy for me most times.

Me too.

When I see a Edmund scope on craig's list the sirens go off and everything stops except

bodily functions and they go on emergency power.

Robert

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and AstroKerr like this

#60 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: VA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:13 AM

I have gotten to the point where it has to say triplet or Zambuto in the ad before I now buy anything.  Last couple of nights I have been trying different scopes to see what goes and what stays.   Wonderful viewing with the planets lined up the way they are. 

• Bonco2 and AstroKerr like this

#61 Jae

Jae

Apollo

• Loc: New England

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:55 PM

It is easier to buy them than it is to sell them.

Oh boy is it......but time has come and I need to face the music.  It really has come this time so I have to do some soul searching on what do I really need or want.  tbc

#62 Jae

Jae

Apollo

• Loc: New England

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:59 PM

I believe it's just human nature to want something better, newer, bigger, etc, etc. How many times have you been to a star party and looked thru another amateur's scope that is larger and better than yours. Then come the thoughts of "oh wow, with that other scope that I looked thru I'd be able to see so much more". The problem is that we probably didn't see what it took to set-up that huge super-scope and what he transported it in. There is a reason why some really uber serious amateurs tow a trailer behind their huge pick-up. That trailer serves as a place to store that massive telescope, to transport it and then at a star-party a place to live in.

I downsized for some very important reasons. Hernia, a recently diagnosed Heart condition, torn and damaged rotator cuff which will require surgery and several more. I'm not trying complain about my health problems but rather to explain why I choose my present telescope. Sure, the 6-inch will show more but everything together, OTA, mount and tripod will end up adding up to a weight that I will most likely find difficult to deal with.

I think I'll be happy with my little C5+ especially considering that I have a fair amount of light-pollution to deal with. It will show me the Moon and planets with quite a bit of detail and enough DSO's to satisfy my appetite for faint fuzzies. So, I'll enjoy my C5+ and everyone who responded to this thread will hopefully enjoy their telescopes.

Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

With all the high end stuff I acquired over the decades, I still have a very soft spot for my C5+ too.   I still would like to make the damping time a little better by attaching some kind of dampening cable or something to the single fork.

#63 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:22 PM

Hey Tim53, just out of curiosity is there a way in your scenerio where one does Not have to sell their soul, or first born or crock of gold or any other priceless item? And if there isn't, is there a loophole somewhere in that so-called ironclad contract where anything I have to give up to Bayalzebub, or who-ever, and get back seriptitiously? It is possible you know because I sold my soul to my former wife and stole it back in the divorce.

Tell you what, I'll stick with my C5+ and not have to give up anything.

Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• tim53 and Vesper818 like this

#64 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:27 PM

Me too.

When I see a Edmund scope on craig's list the sirens go off and everything stops except

bodily functions and they go on emergency power.

Robert

Now a 16" Cave popped up and has me thinking crazy stuff. I would kill to have it, but i know full well i could never use it or deal with setting it up. But i still want to buy after a year of a total buying freeze on scopes and parts. Or i should say i want to buy super rare scopes that just don't pop up much at all.

• Bonco2 likes this

#65 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:10 PM

Now a 16" Cave popped up and has me thinking crazy stuff. I would kill to have it, but i know full well i could never use it or deal with setting it up. But i still want to buy after a year of a total buying freeze on scopes and parts. Or i should say i want to buy super rare scopes that just don't pop up much at all.

It sure is a nice one. The mirror is tested and looks fabulous, the mount is all restored.

A Cave 16 inch f/5 equatorial will keep you satisfied for the rest of your life.

Remember the trick, you put the OTA vertical on a short bench (hand truck it there) then

you roll the mount up and dock with it.

Robert 

• Bonco2 and AstroKerr like this

#66 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:18 PM

Today I started thinking about all the scopes I have bought.  Both classic and non classic.  I have had some wonderful scopes over the last 50 years.   Some I still have some I sold.   When I started thinking about it some of the best scopes with the best optics I sold.  Not all of them, but some of them.  I always thought that with this hobby once you have a scope with awesome optics you stick with that scope.  However, for some of us that does not seem to be the case. We keep buying scope after scope and telling everyone about the really awesome one that got away.  I know for some this is called the hunt, but the hunt for what?

Hard to say. I’ve changed scopes over the years as my interests have evolved, but when I find something I like, I tend to hold on to it.  I started out with SCT’s 20 years ago and then went to Dobs as I wanted more aperture for DSO’s.  I bought an 18” Starmaster 15 years ago and some time after that I got a 12.5” Starmaster, which is a bit easier to set up.  Both scopes are wonderful and I don’t see ever selling them. More recently, I’ve also become more interested in regards rich-field observing so I’ve acquired some refractors, including an NP 101. It’s a nice complement to my Dobs and lets me see the big picture, so to speak, with its huge field of view. Don’t see parting with this one either any time soon.  

On the other hand, I also (admittedly) have a couple of very nice scopes that I’ve bought in the past year more out of curiosity than need, and I may or may not keep them for the long haul—a Tak Mewlon 180 and a Tak Sky 90 II. Just wanted to see what all the fuss about Taks was about.  Well, now I know—they are beautifully made and have killer optics.  lol.gif  Really going to enjoy training the Mewlon on Mars.

Edited by turtle86, 05 July 2020 - 07:19 PM.

• Darth_Takahashi likes this

#67 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:27 PM

It sure is a nice one. The mirror is tested and looks fabulous, the mount is all restored.

A Cave 16 inch f/5 equatorial will keep you satisfied for the rest of your life.

Remember the trick, you put the OTA vertical on a short bench (hand truck it there) then

you roll the mount up and dock with it.

Robert 

Let's hope someone gets it that will keep it orginal.  Someone that will not mess with the OTA or the mount and keeps it just the way it is.  That is a scope that belongs in the hands of a true collector.  There are plenty of 16" scopes on the market so that Cave deserves a true collector. 

• clamchip and Bomber Bob like this

#68 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:30 PM

Hard to say. I’ve changed scopes over the years as my interests have evolved, but when I find something I like, I tend to hold on to it.  I started out with SCT’s 20 years ago and then went to Dobs as I wanted more aperture for DSO’s.  I bought an 18” Starmaster 15 years ago and some time after that I got a 12.5” Starmaster, which is a bit easier to set up.  Both scopes are wonderful and I don’t see ever selling them. More recently, I’ve also become more interested in regards rich-field observing so I’ve acquired some refractors, including an NP 101. It’s a nice complement to my Dobs and lets me see the big picture, so to speak, with its huge field of view. Don’t see parting with this one either any time soon.  

On the other hand, I also (admittedly) have a couple of very nice scopes that I’ve bought in the past year more out of curiosity than need, and I may or may not keep them for the long haul—a Tak Mewlon 180 and a Tak Sky 90 II. Just wanted to see what all the fuss about Taks was about.  Well, now I know—they are beautifully made and have killer optics.  lol.gif  Really going to enjoy training the Mewlon on Mars.

I perfectly understand with keeping some scopes forever.  Hard to let go of a good Tak.  Kind of like loosing part of yourself. 

• turtle86 likes this

#69 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:19 PM

About my buying, testing, restoring, and passing scopes along:  I hope that I wasn't bidding against anyone on this Forum, but I won the Meade Model 390 on the GW.

- In all these years, I've never owned a 90mm refractor;

- This is my 1st Taiwan-made scope;

- Based on my research, these are "sleeper" scopes with good optics, but not so good mounts;

- If this Sleeper turns out to be a Keeper, at least one of my other fracs will go!

don't lose any sleep - already have 3 1/2, so I dropped early - it went where it was most wanted. I think you'll enjoy it. waytogo.gif One here still has a clamchip - swapped it out, put it back as an example, image still rocks. 90s are my "60s" anymore and the Meades are nicer builds than a lot of contemp 90s. Looking for one more to reflex-finder. Mounts are okay - one EQ, one AltAz (third rides a CG-4) - used for outreach/scouts/etc. and no complaints - they settle quick enough. Filled the EQ legs with sand - worked nice, bit overkill, but def better settling.

I grabbed another 33TR and DS114 right about when you showed up on the 390, so I walked away fat, dumb & very happy. Glad you got it!

Edited by AstroKerr, 07 July 2020 - 03:12 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#70 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:57 PM

The Meade 390 should be at The Swamp on Thursday.  If it's like my last delivery, the fire-hose monsoon will be in full blast mode...  Not sure if these are old enough to qualify for The Forum.  If not, I'll add maybe a post or two over on the Refractor Forum...

• Terra Nova and AstroKerr like this

#71 Darth_Takahashi

Darth_Takahashi

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:57 PM

I think that's another reason people try new scopes. At the upper end, there is considerably artistry. So a few makes, like Clark, RAO, Nikon, Zeiss, Astro Physics, Takahashi, etc., develop almost mythical reputations, and when someone has the opportunity to try one, it's hard to resist. 

Chip W.

Honestly, I hope not. I will not pay a penny for artistry, I'm not a romanic in this respect. I hope that sounds right, its not meant to cause offence, art to me is an intangible that I can enjoy for enjoyments sake alone.bow.gif

Form, function, Physics, mathermatics and material science are all I'm will pay for. I will even say that I personally would prefer a machine ground/polished mirror over anything a human can make, no matter what their name is. Artistry to me is where boutique scopes enter the discussion, they look nicer than they will ever perform and you are expected to pay a premium for them! All because they're hand made.confused1.gif

Machines have dominated the industrial revolution for good reason, they increase the production and the repeatability of the operations that they carry out. Hence when used correctly should improve quality.

Flourite was first use by my favorite company, Takahashi. I believe its been around since the late 60's or early 70's, maybe even eariler? Material science has caught up with this material over the last 30 years since the famous FLP53 glass everyone like to quoteis its replacement, having very similair qualities. If figured correctly.

Finally, German-Hungarian mathematics professor Joseph Petzval in 1840 in Vienna, with technical advice provided by Peter Wilhelm Friedrich von Voigtländer designed the Petzval lens / telescope that we have all come to love whether its a Skywatcher or Tak or another manufacturers version.

I do agree that the topic of coating on mirrors and lenes has improved greatly since WWII. You could start another discussion on this alone.

But there is no black magic here, not anymore. The biggest improvement I would honestly put forward is telescope accessories; reducers, flateners and correctors these used to be limited to high end systems. Now even my Mewlon is a CDK = Corrected Dall-Kirkham. waytogo.gif

Regards

Neil

#72 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:26 PM

I will not pay a penny for artistry, I'm not a romantic in this respect. I hope that sounds right, its not meant to cause offence, art to me is an intangible that I can enjoy for enjoyments sake alone.

I'm not offended at all.  I will pay for it -- I already have.  Paid more for the MacKenzie mount & tripod than I did for the Mogey 3 that rides on it.  By the time I'm finished with my Tinsley Project (6" Cass & Mount), I'll have a ton of $$$$ invested in a "small" reflector.  No regrets.  I have 2 antiques, and the Tinsley is 1 of a kind.  What are the odds a redneck doofus would nab a scope like that?  And -- fingers crossed -- I'll have two beautiful & functional antique instruments when the dust settles...

With almost perpetual cloudy nights, at least I can admire the Mogey.  As I've posted before: while sitting here at my PC, I can look to my right, through 2 open doorways and see the Mogey, and to its right, here in my Man Cave, is my Sears 6336; and, both 3" fracs are pointed at the same spot in the sky...  I didn't plan that, but it sure turned out right...

There've been tempting scopes since I started down-sizing -- Goto & Takahashi semi-APO fracs and such -- but at some point... How many 3" or 4" fracs can you use in a typical year?  Pretty or not.  Top-tier or not.  I suspect my new AT102ED could run with either -- modern technology vs. vintage craftsmanship -- and I really don't care to find that out first-hand.

• JMKarian likes this

#73 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:49 PM

The Meade 390 should be at The Swamp on Thursday.  If it's like my last delivery, the fire-hose monsoon will be in full blast mode...  Not sure if these are old enough to qualify for The Forum.  If not, I'll add maybe a post or two over on the Refractor Forum...

Ralph had or has one of those and he reqlly liked it.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#74 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:57 PM

Finally, German-Hungarian mathematics professor Joseph Petzval in 1840 in Vienna, with technical advice provided by Peter Wilhelm Friedrich von Voigtländer designed the Petzval lens / telescope that we have all come to love whether its a Skywatcher or Tak or another manufacturers version.

Neil

Vixen and TeleVue. I have one of each and am most happy with each of them.

• Bomber Bob, walter a, AstroKerr and 1 other like this

#75 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:21 PM

I will pay gladly for a well made scope.  There is no better feeling than a well crafted scope.  

• Terra Nova, Bonco2, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics