•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Why is it we always buy another scope when we are happy with the one we have?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#51 Supernova74

Supernova74

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted Yesterday, 12:00 PM

that’s just the nature of the beast I suppose!?most folk don,t seem to be happy in owning just one scope I am tho and it’s taken me along time to get there.i can understand why some amateur astronomers own perhaps 2-3 scopes in there stable so to speak.as thay all have there set purposes and strengths and weaknesses.

however there was a similer topic on cloudy nights a little while back perhaps a few weeks or so 

and heard some who own over 20 scopes.in my books that’s a tad obsessive and perhaps for some would be considered unhealthy.as even tho you can be passionate about your hobby there is a thin line there when enough is enough 

simperly don,t go beyond your means or budget.i also find it rather ironic that most of us myself included we all at times actually think about that next or initial puchase ie on a scope,eyepiece or accessory than actually observe in the first place and that mainly goes down to the weather being clear especially here in the uk

when it comes to Astronomy it can also be a little hit and miss at times especially the scopes and accessories we own and trial and error does come into play.and lastly there was a topic a few weeks back on the forums and obviously this guy had rather deep pockets as he was considering purchasing a $250,000 set up and was asking advice about it. And I advised him to the best of my ability as he was entering the realm of a niche market the best thing to do is get the scope and mount professionally installed as most on cloudy nights would not own that kind of kit and maybe it’s best to go through Astronomy outreach channel.

Edited by Supernova74, Yesterday, 12:02 PM.

#52 GreyDay

GreyDay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted Yesterday, 12:28 PM

however there was a similer topic on cloudy nights a little while back perhaps a few weeks or so 

and heard some who own over 20 scopes.in my books that’s a tad obsessive and perhaps for some would be considered unhealthy.as even tho you can be passionate about your hobby there is a thin line there when enough is enough

Over 20 (me smile.gif ) and many others, i would like to collect all of one brand like others here who have collected unitrons, tascos, edmunds etc. It's a hobby in much the same way as a friend of mine has a drinking hobby that eats half his salary. I have something to show for my money and can easily recoup that spending.

personally i stay within my means and budget so i don't see anything unhealthy. If it wasn't telescopes it would be motorcycles! as others have said they don't just collect scopes there are guitars, cars, clocks, radios etc but i wouldn't call any collection unhealthy unless it was impacting their (or others) lives negatively.

would i be happy with just one telescope? i doubt it as they haven't invented the telescope that does everything yet.

Edited by GreyDay, Yesterday, 12:33 PM.

• deepwoods1, Terra Nova and oldmanastro like this

#53 Supernova74

Supernova74

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted Yesterday, 12:33 PM

Over 20 (me smile.gif ) and many others, i would like to collect all of one brand like others here who have collected unitrons, tascos, edmunds etc. It's a hobby in much the same way as a friend of mine has a drinking hobby that eats half his salary.

personally i stay within my means and budget so i don't see anything unhealthy. If it wasn't telescopes it would be motorcycles! as others have said they don't just collect scopes there are guitars, cars, clocks, radios etc but i wouldn't call any collection unhealthy unless it was impacting their (or others) lives negatively.

would i be happy with just one telescope? i doubt it as they haven't invented the telescope that does everything yet.

As long as your happy my far away Astro friend some people collect stamps you collect scopes maybe you could open a scope museum  

(ps then again not so far)

Edited by Supernova74, Yesterday, 12:34 PM.

• GreyDay likes this

#54 GreyDay

GreyDay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted Yesterday, 12:45 PM

you collect scopes maybe you could open a scope museum 

Most of my scopes wouldn't make it into a museum :) the Zeiss maybe the Pentax but i doubt my Tasco collection would make it :(

A lot of my collection have been bought for less then a trip to Starbucks! a few for twice that and only 3 cost more than £100. Together my collection wouldn't get me a Takahashi if i traded them in (or could they?) besides a thousand GBP for just one scope is still not on my acceptable spending chart. i can afford to but just don't feel the need as yet.

#55 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted Yesterday, 04:12 PM

Just dawned on me...  If that Meade 390 refractor turns out to be a Keeper, I could repaint it to match my Mizar Super Polaris...  I was more interested in testing one of the blue Meade / Mizar refractors, so I guess I'm still on the look-out.

• Terra Nova, rcwolpert and GreyDay like this

#56 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 07:34 PM

Today I started thinking about all the scopes I have bought.  Both classic and non classic.  I have had some wonderful scopes over the last 50 years.   Some I still have some I sold.   When I started thinking about it some of the best scopes with the best optics I sold.  Not all of them, but some of them.  I always thought that with this hobby once you have a scope with awesome optics you stick with that scope.  However, for some of us that does not seem to be the case. We keep buying scope after scope and telling everyone about the really awesome one that got away.  I know for some this is called the hunt, but the hunt for what?

With me, it's always curiosity.  I'll even buy what I'm pretty sure is nothing special, just to find out something specific about it.  With high-end scopes, you are always looking for the one with the little extra quality, though that's hard to do specifically, unless you want to hang-on to every scope you buy and compare them.

• GreyDay likes this

#57 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted Today, 07:44 AM

It was the thrill of the buy for me most times.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#58 LDW47

LDW47

Soyuz

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted Today, 09:46 AM

I am enjoying this thread.  This rings true with me.

I'm not someone searching for perfection, I find a scope that's a good fit for observing the way I like to observe and I keep it.  I've had my 10 inch GSO Dob for 17 years. It's never been my biggest or best scope but it's a good one.  I spend a lot of time observing and I want good scopes and I want choices but I'm OK with good. 

Some people think in terms of improving the weakest link. I'm confident my equipment is good enough that the weakest link is me, my skills, my knowledge and understanding, there's plenty of room for me to grow before my equipment is the limiting factor.

Observing is my primary interest but I'm also an inverterate bargain hunter with a curiosity to satisfy. I see a deal on a nice older scope and my eyes light up and as my friend Bob says, "It makes me nervous." This where my interest in Classics arose. I like simple things that have stood the test of time. Enjoying and RV-6 or an 80 mm F/11 in the backyard is an enjoyable evening.

But as Terra said, we learn about ourselves. Every scope purchased for curiosity and variety eventually deserves a new home where it's appreciated and enjoyed rather than just another box in a corner. That means finding a new home and the inevitable boxing up and shipping. So, I've learned to control my urges and confine myself to window shopping the ads.

Jon

Window shopping till maybe the next time, lol ! That urge, that curiosity never leaves us completely, lol !

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#59 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted Today, 10:04 AM

It was the thrill of the buy for me most times.

Me too.

When I see a Edmund scope on craig's list the sirens go off and everything stops except

bodily functions and they go on emergency power.

Robert

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#60 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: VA

Posted Today, 10:13 AM

I have gotten to the point where it has to say triplet or Zambuto in the ad before I now buy anything.  Last couple of nights I have been trying different scopes to see what goes and what stays.   Wonderful viewing with the planets lined up the way they are. 

• Bonco2 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics