•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Beginning Astrophotography with and Unmodified DSLR

beginner dslr imaging filters mount optics equipment ccd
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Swampbar

Swampbar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:41 PM

Hello Everyone,

My name is Andrew and I'm in need of some advice/ direction with my beginning astrophotography setup. I live in San Diego, CA in a Bortal class 7/8 (closer to an 8 probably) area. However, I'm only about 45mins away from a Bortal Class 3. 

My current set up is: Canon 80D, iOptron Sky Tracker Pro, Sigma 18-35 f1.8 Art. I also have a NiSi Natural Night Filter. 

I currently only shoot Milky Way (when it comes to astrophotography). My setup seems decent for the Milky Way. I only recently purchased the star tracker and I'm very pleased with the results I'm able to come away with. It has me thinking about trying to photograph more wide field deep space objects like nebulas (other beginner friendly objects). I realize that the sensor on my 80D currently filters out a lot of the color range that deep space objects like nebulas emit. If I invested in a entry level optic for wide field objects, would I just be throwing my money down the drain? Is it possible to come away with good deep space photos with a unmodified DSLR? Can the lack of a modified sensor be overcome with something? Or is it an uphill battle not worth fighting? 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks so much,

Andrew

#2 nimitz69

nimitz69

Vanguard

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:12 PM

A quick tour of Astrobin images with people using unmodified DSLRs will give you your answer ... smile.gif
  • mountman, chuck666 and Swampbar like this

#3 Gipht

Gipht

Vanguard

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:27 PM

Many people start in Astrophotography with an unmodified DSLR.  Not a big obstacle at all. 

• Scott Mitchell, George Simon and Swampbar like this

#4 John Carlini

John Carlini

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern Wyoming

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:30 PM

You should do fine with your DSLR. Mine is not modified and I get great photos of nebulas, star clusters and other deep space objects. Once you experiment for a while with the DSLR, you can decide if you want to invest in a dedicated Astro camera (like a CCD) and go further. I have a couple types of cameras, each with it's stength and weakness. My general use camera is the DSLR for overall simplicity of operation.

• Swampbar likes this

#5 Swampbar

Swampbar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:40 PM

Sweet! Thanks for the feedback everyone. Definitely more confident now moving forward. Any suggestions on what to upgrade first. Biggest bang in terms of photo quality. 

#6 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:27 AM

G'day Andrew,

I've had an exceptionally rewarding several years learning deep sky AP with an unmodded APS-C Canon on the skies over the Australian outback. I've used a 600D/T3i with four lenses:

• Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM
  • Canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Canon 50mm f/1.8
  • Canon 200mm f/2.8L II

I've compiled the entirety of my camera lens results here. The upgrade with the biggest bang for the buck would be a Nifty Fifty, but a fast 135mm or 200mm prime would yield the best results.

At 70 arcsec peak-to-peak periodic error, I don't know if the iOptron Sky Tracker Pro is up to the task of star trail-free tracking at 200mm. I use an Orion SkyView Pro, which gets ~20 arcsec peak-to-peak with PEC—even this limits me to 30 second subs. I'm now seriously contemplating an upgrade to a Fornax Lightrack II, which is spec'ed at 2 arcsec peak-to-peak…

Cheers,

BQ

• Swampbar likes this

#7 ValhallaObserver

ValhallaObserver

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Minnesota North Suburbs of Minneapolis

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:16 PM

Great ideas.

#8 Swampbar

Swampbar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:38 PM

Thank you very much BQ for the awesome advice. I'll definitely be looking into the suggestions!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, dslr, imaging, filters, mount, optics, equipment, ccd

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics