•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wide Field Lenses

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rocketrat1

Rocketrat1

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: California

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:19 PM

I'm looking into some widerfield lenses for astrophotography and I think I have found three good options, however I'm curious to hear peoples opinions on them. 

Here are the options;

https://www.mpb.com/...fit/sku-940713/

https://www.keh.com/...us-lens-52.html

https://www.keh.com/...us-lens-52.html

Thanks for reading!

#2 Neinball

Neinball

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:06 PM

OK so heres my take as a professional Nikon shooter, Rokinon/Samyang has a very hit or miss quality control process, if the lens is used and up for sale there is probably a good reason for it, and as for the Nikkors, while great for portraits are going to be on the soft side, especially wide open, and lacking modern ED glass will have some issues with coma and CA. Personally if budget allows I'd look at the Sigma ART 85 and 135mm lenses instead, or if on a budget I would look at a new Rokinon 85 and 135, preferably with a solid return policy because its not uncommon to go through half a dozen returns on them before you get a defect free example. The Nikkor 85 1.8 and 1.4s both suffer from CA, and can have issues with lens element alignment, so while outstanding portrait lenses I'd avoid those for astro use. If you are not tied to the Nikon F mount I would look at the Canon 135 and 200 f2.8L lenses, as well as their 85mm, which are all outstanding and well corrected, some of the vintage Pentax glass is great as well, being much better than their Canon and Nikon counterparts of the time, but like EF mount lenses M42 and K mount Pentax glass cannot be adapted to F mount and retain their infinity focus without serious tinkering and custom fabrication.

Edited by Neinball, 29 June 2020 - 06:06 PM.

• 3 i Guy likes this

#3 sl-he

sl-he

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:51 AM

Rokinon (Samyang) 135/2 is relatively good even at full aperture, but in the red channel you can see spherical aberration, especially at small pixels

#4 fetoma

fetoma

Gemini

• Loc: Southern NJ

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:02 PM

some of the vintage Pentax glass is great as well

Examples/recommendations?

Edited by fetoma, 01 July 2020 - 12:03 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics