•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Visiting Santa Fe - viewing site recommendations?

clubs observing
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 IronBuckeye

IronBuckeye

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:36 PM

Hello all.  First time poster.  I'm in the middle of a 5,000 mile road trip around the country and traveling with a telescope. Currently in Santa Fe, NM and wondering if any locals can offer advise on a top-notch viewing site.  We recognize that anything we see here will be better than our home in Ohio.  But since w're soooo close to awesome skies, we're willing to travel out of town to find them.  Any suggestions welcome.   

Apologies if this has been covered.  I searched and couldn't find anything specific.

#2 markb

markb

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:04 PM

Don't forget the do-it-yourself solution, Darksitefinder.com, in addition to the best solution, asking for help like you just did.

https://darksitefind...#4/39.00/-98.00

#3 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:06 PM

Hello all.  First time poster.  I'm in the middle of a 5,000 mile road trip around the country and traveling with a telescope. Currently in Santa Fe, NM and wondering if any locals can offer advise on a top-notch viewing site.  We recognize that anything we see here will be better than our home in Ohio.  But since w're soooo close to awesome skies, we're willing to travel out of town to find them.  Any suggestions welcome.   

Apologies if this has been covered.  I searched and couldn't find anything specific.

PM me -- I live in Santa Fe and can give some suggestions -- Tom

• havasman likes this

#4 drslyone

drslyone

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:07 PM

Hi, 

I don't know Sante Fe, but if you're doing a cross country trip perhaps you will also see the Grand Canyon.  I just spent a weekend in Grand Canyon Village (about 78 miles mostly north of Flagstaff), and they take their dark skies seriously in that area.  Just the backyard of the Cabin was amazing (some trees are the only problem).  You can even bring your scope to the rim of the canyon.

Good Luck in New Mexico.

#5 IronBuckeye

IronBuckeye

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:09 PM

Wanted to say thank you to everyone. (drslyone we won't make it to the Grand Canyon).  We're looking for some skies that are 2 or better on the Bortle scale and (more important) are safe and accessible on the ground. We've had a couple of good suggestions above and via PM but always welcome more.

#6 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

Drive South on Turquoise Trail to area around New Madrid, pull over, enjoy.

• markb and SILENCER like this

#7 rcooley

rcooley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: El Dorado, Santa Fe, NM

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:56 PM

i use my back yard or my driveway, but im sure if you went up to the ski santa fe parking lot you’d get some amazing dark skies (cloudless skie might be a challenge tho) and at approx 10,000 ft+ you into some really thin air. 

• markb likes this

#8 IronBuckeye

IronBuckeye

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:07 PM

i use my back yard or my driveway, but im sure if you went up to the ski santa fe parking lot you’d get some amazing dark skies (cloudless skie might be a challenge tho) and at approx 10,000 ft+ you into some really thin air.

I appreciate the offer. We ended up going out to Cowboy Trailhead and had a very nice night of stargazing. It wasn’t the pure black skies I dreamed about but we weren’t going to find that anywhere with the moon nearly full. Bad timing on our part.

We’re leaving Santa Fe today and heading East. Thank you everyone for the advice. Great city you’ve got here - we’ll be back.
  • Rollo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clubs, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics