•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does poor collimation of Newtonian affect polar alignment using PHD2 drift alignment/ sharpcap

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oaknova

oaknova

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:52 AM

Hello,

Last week I set up my avx mount but forgot adding the counter weight before starting the goto. I set the telescope directing to Alioth, suddenly the telescope dropped hitting the tripod in the middle of slew.

After that hit, I wasn't able to use PHD2 drift alignment or sharpcap for polar alignment anymore, not sure if it damaged the mount, or it disturbs the Newtonian mirror causing bad collimation and these two polar alignment methods rely on the images.

I was able to use these two polar alignment methods with same setup before this accident, minor adjustment will reflect on the analysis result which leads to an excellent polar alignment result, and guiding within 1'' error. But now when I'm adjusting the knobs, the polar alignment error will jump from one direction to the other, won't be able to narrow it down to small enough.

Equipment: avx + Newtonian (750mm/f5) + oag (asi120mm s) + canon dslr

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (33).png

#2 freddie

freddie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:08 AM

Collimation isn’t your issue. It’s more likely that the knock has jolted something loose and is therefore moving slightly during your PA.

#3 oaknova

oaknova

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll check the knob next night. The knobs were tightened before the slew and hit, so i’m worried it damages the worm gear or motor in sone way... Hope nobody else would make my stupid mistake. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics