•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Askar FRA 400 Quintuplet Astrograph

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#151 Poochpa

Poochpa

Vanguard

• Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:24 AM

Stephen,

Here's the link to the almost full-res image. Just a 2% crop to eliminate stacking artifacts.

Mike

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

• Jeff Gardner likes this

#152 StephenW

StephenW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 02 April 2021 - 10:41 AM

Here's a boring test image of Regulas from last night.   ASI 6200, no reducer, 500s exposure in Ha, no flats, darks or any processing other than STF

Light_ASIImg_500sec_small.jpg

Link to full rez fit:

https://www.dropbox....me0002.fit?dl=0

There is some tilt and some distortion approaching the corners, but overall I'm happy - it's significantly better than the star shapes I was getting with my Canon 100-400mm zoom.  Also pleasantly surprised at the lack of vignetting on the 6200!

• RossW likes this

#153 Poochpa

Poochpa

Vanguard

Posted 03 April 2021 - 03:25 PM

I did a second light test with the Askar 400 last night at it's native f/5.6, but this time using a Canon 6D MkII full-frame dslr.  I was disappointed to see what appears to be the mirror box shadow. I have not had the same degree of problem with my WO GT71. Flats helped and I was able to fix it in processing with PI's Canon Banding Script. Would going to a non-tapered M68 to M48 extension tube help? I assume it will only get worse if I get the dedicated reducer and use the scope at f/3.9 with the 6D?

Mike

Unprocessed single sub:

M35-Askar400_CanonMk2_1200.jpg

Edited by Poochpa, 03 April 2021 - 08:24 PM.

#154 trycatchfinally

trycatchfinally

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:47 PM

Got my FRA 400 yesterday!!

Put it on my MyT although I can also use it on my Skyguider Pro.

I added a dovetail plate to go from vixen style to attach to the MyT. This gives the focuser adequate clearance

I added an Optec SVX30 focuser which can communicate with SkyX Pro for doing autofocus

I added the Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox Advance for cable management with a custom adapter for attachment to a vixen bar on top

With this rig I am using my QHy268C because the image scale is 1.78 arcsec/px and it should be good for Andromeda. I really like that the FRA 400 came with a M54 adapter

When I put the FRA400 on my Skyguider Pro I will use a QHY247C because of the weight saving although resolution will be about 2 arcsec/px.

I am hoping to take it out to Death Valley next weekend (bortle 1 sky quality smile.gif  )

Hi Gene3,

I was wondering if you can share about your experience with this telescope using the SkyGuider Pro?  And do you have a photo of the setup (FRA400 + SGP) that you can share?  I have a Skyguider Pro (not looking to upgrade the mount til the end of the year) and I'm interested with the FRA 400.

Thank you!

#155 kvastronomer

kvastronomer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:56 PM

Please help to understand:

For my regular APO triplet refractor I don't care about "backfocus" if I can focus the image on camera sensor.

If I add a reducer or flattener I have to match exactly the backfocus distance recommended by FF/FR manufacturer.

FRA 400 is quintuplet petzval astrograph and it mentions 140mm backfocus in the manual. Does that mean I have to match required backfocus distance even if I don't use optional 0.7 reducer (which by itself requires 55mm backfocus)?

#156 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor Affiliate - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendor Affiliate
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:56 AM

Please help to understand:

For my regular APO triplet refractor I don't care about "backfocus" if I can focus the image on camera sensor.

If I add a reducer or flattener I have to match exactly the backfocus distance recommended by FF/FR manufacturer.

FRA 400 is quintuplet petzval astrograph and it mentions 140mm backfocus in the manual. Does that mean I have to match required backfocus distance even if I don't use optional 0.7 reducer (which by itself requires 55mm backfocus)?

it is no different than your triplet :)

focus using the camera and don't worry about extensions etc as long as you focus

if using the reducer - its 55mm behind the threads 

#157 Poochpa

Poochpa

Vanguard

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:29 AM

Here's the processed image from my first use of the Askar FRA400 with a full-frame camera, a Canon 6DMkII. Subs were 40x90s at ISO 1600.

Mike

https://www.cloudyni...658_2384473.jpg

• Jeff Gardner and pmuller like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics