•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A new Swarovski NL Pure?

• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic

#126 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 12 September 2020 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for that "first impressions report", Doug.

It seems a case of "so far, so good" in every way.

I'm pleased you're happy you chose the 10x rather than the 8x.

The shape of these new "Pures" does look very well thought out.

Funny you should mention CA.

The other day I was at the seaside, looking through my 10x42 SEs at a group of around ten people in the process of getting out of a small leisure boat, which appeared to have been forced to anchor about 300 yards out as low tide approached, and climbing onto a motorised dinghy to be brought ashore.

All of them were wearing bright anoraks in either pink, red, blue or purple, and as I looked at them against the bright background of glistening sea water and bright sky, never before have I noticed so much false colour through these SEs.

Every coat seemed to have a bright halo around it's edge, with just about every colour of a rainbow represented to some degree, even noticeable "on - axis".

I have noticed CA though these before in certain circumstances, but never anything like so much as this in over 14 years of use.

Wishing you all the best with this major investment.

Kenny

• Doug D. likes this

#127 Doug D.

Doug D.

Gemini

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 September 2020 - 06:44 PM

Thanks Kenny.

I've always thought CA was well controlled in my 8x32 SEs but I'll have to look for what you are describing next time I'm under similar conditions.  I'm no expert but do you think this glowing edge effect is related to prism and/or barrel reflections.

Yeah, the NL Pures are kind of a crazy investment but if the 10x42 work out as I hope, it will be my dedicated birding glass from henceforth.... Maybe. wink.gif

Edited by Doug D., 12 September 2020 - 06:57 PM.

• ianatcn likes this

#128 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 13 September 2020 - 01:01 AM

Yeah, the NL Pures are kind of a crazy investment

Here in the Netherlands the NL 10x42 is 325 Euro cheaper then the Zeiss RF 10x42 (and I bet the cheaper one wins hands down smile.gif )

#129 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 13 September 2020 - 03:47 AM

Doug,

CA is indeed well controlled by the design of the Nikon SE -- far superior in my estimation to in any of the more expensive Nikon High Grade Roofs available at the time, and possibly ever since.

For example, I vividly recall from almost 20 years ago, the first time I ever looked through a Nikon HG roof at a RSBP centre and being almost alarmed by how much CA I saw. This was just a few days after reading the HG Roof had just "taken the title" from the SE Porro for BEST of the BEST according to Stephen Ingraham on the then almost biblically trusted "Better View Desired" web site.

Speculative reasons as to the causes of this recent, most unusual experience, include the presence of so many "fluorescent colours" of the coats being worn in such close proximity to each other, very rare conditions of bright ( and possibly even literal rainbow ) light being reflected by the sea water from the bright sky and the fact that due to constant sharing/ exchanging the views through the same binocular with my wife, a combination of the SEs not being perfectly focused for me and/ or the casual nature of the observing leading to not aligning my eyes as perfectly as I normally would, had I been viewing alone.

Whatever it was, I've spent quite a bit of time looking through the same 10x42 SE in the three days since, and have not noticed any CA whatsoever, so I wouldn't go out of your way trying to reproduce the effect in your 8x32.

By the way, I've only just noticed how remarkably similar in shape / body contouring this new Swarovski NL Pure line is to that of the Vortex Razor UHD line.

Kenny

#130 dries1

dries1

Messenger

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:38 PM

CA is unusual, some are highly sensitive to it, others not so much. I use to this day the HG in 8X32 and 8X42, I have never have noticed any glaring CA. I never observed any in the EDGs either.

Andy W.

• galazie likes this

#131 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Administrators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:59 AM

Just observed the beautiful conjunction of Venus and the Moon both in their last quarter, at noon in broad daylight. Well placed in the sky, near zenith, they easily fitted in the same field of view in my NL 10x42. What struck me most was the sharpness , brilliance and pure white color of dazzlingy bright Venus. And no chromatic abberation at all. A sight to behold.
  • Swedpat, Traveler and ianatcn like this

#132 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:25 AM

Honest question: are Moon and Venus challenging during the day? I have not looked at Venus during daylight, but it seems there should not be much contrast that would cause problems?

#133 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Administrators

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:05 AM

Finding Venus during broad daylight can be a bit of challenge, but the vicinity of the moon was helpful. The planet is much brighter of course and can show chromatic aberrations easier.

• ihf likes this

#134 Doug D.

Doug D.

Gemini

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:17 AM

Moon is of course easy, I was looking at it yesterday afternoon through the 10x42's and very much enjoying the view.

#135 Swedpat

Swedpat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Boden, Sweden, Scandinavia

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:48 PM

My experience is that Venus may be difficult to see. It is a very intense small light point. And when I first found it through binoculars I think I actually could see it with naked eyes as well. 

Edited by Swedpat, 14 September 2020 - 12:48 PM.

• ihf likes this

#136 Full Sun

Full Sun

Messenger

• Loc: NOTL, Ontario

Posted 14 September 2020 - 02:54 PM

The 8x42 NL’s just landed. My initial impression using them in the daylight, is they are very impressive and compact. I was quickly rewarded with  rare cardinal siting, blue jay , red tailed hawk sightings, all within 15 minutes of each other. Now that I think about it- this is pretty unusual for my backyard all within minutes of each other. Might be migration prep?Anyway, I wanted to go with the widest version because I already have a 10x’s EL that I love . So some impressions: In field use; with or without glasses-no problem, full view is there. Handling is quite innovative and comfortable. Immersion: check. Wide full view but still with field stops in the perimeter.I think we are pushing the envelope here for perfection for at least a decade to come. I mean if these are the new Swarovski alpha they are replacing the EL which were the epitome of quality themselves. The differences here are not obvious but I do see progression in the new generation. I don’t envy the L,Z,Sw engineers trying to come up with something better...we’re near the limit.
   There is no way I can justify this purchase but they will likely stay with me until I am eating dog food.

I expect the head rest feature I am about to order will be perfect for handheld astronomical use, seeking out pin point stars in  the horizontal position.

Edited by Full Sun, 14 September 2020 - 08:43 PM.

• Swedpat, Doug D., Erik Bakker and 3 others like this

#137 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Administrators

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:20 AM

Last night I observed for the first time with my newly arrived FRP forehead rest with my NL 10x42 and what a differences that makes! Both observing standing and lying in a comfortable reclining chair, it closely resembled the stability of using a tripod, but without the hassle, with only a small loss in stability. And what a joy to take in these stable, high-quality images. A very simple but highly effective accessory for improving hand-held observing with the NL's.

• KennyJ, Swedpat, Doug D. and 7 others like this

#138 gwlee

gwlee

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:55 PM

I have been using 7x or 10x, 50mm Fujinon FMT-SX binoculars for astronomy for years. Anyone know how the 50mm Fujis and 42mm NLs compare for handheld binocular astronomy? 

I also use a 28 ounce, 8x42 roof for astronomy occasionally now. It’s certainly lighter and the views aren’t far behind the 7x50 FMT-SX that I am using now, so I prefer using the 8x42 for astronomy travel where weight and bulk are important factors, but prefer using the 50mm Fuji at home. 

#139 John F

John F

Apollo

• Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:48 AM

Last night I observed for the first time with my newly arrived FRP forehead rest with my NL 10x42 and what a differences that makes! Both observing standing and lying in a comfortable reclining chair,

When I first saw the pictures of the new NL binoculars that forehead rest it immediately caught my eye and I thought "Wow, what a great idea".  I suspect that other manufacturers in the future will be forced (but market pressure) to come out with something similar to it. 

John Finnan

#140 Anders Asp

Anders Asp

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Eskilstuna, Sweden

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:24 AM

Erik, do you by  any chans have the possibillity to compare any Canon 10x42 IS binos with your Swarovski 10x42 NL Pure with FRP to see how well the Swarovski handles shakes and who of the two binos delivers the most plesant views?

Im thinking about maby going for  the 10x42 or 12x42 with a FRP if the supportdevice really works in  such a good way as people say and it really can deliver more or less the  same stabile views as an IS binocular.

Anders Asp

• ThomasM likes this

#141 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:41 AM

When I first saw the pictures of the new NL binoculars that forehead rest it immediately caught my eye and I thought "Wow, what a great idea".  I suspect that other manufacturers in the future will be forced (but market pressure) to come out with something similar to it. 

John Finnan

Actually, such forehead rests are not new, I own a 8x32 bínocular manufactured in the sixties which has something similar

http://www.astrotref.../Marox 8x32.jpg

you can adjust the hight of the post between the eyepieces such that it touches your forehead. It helps a lilttle bit reducing shake, but an IS binocular ist a different world. But may be the Swarowski solution is more effiecient.

Thomas

#142 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Administrators

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:16 AM

Erik, do you by  any chans have the possibillity to compare any Canon 10x42 IS binos with your Swarovski 10x42 NL Pure with FRP to see how well the Swarovski handles shakes and who of the two binos delivers the most plesant views?

Im thinking about maby going for  the 10x42 or 12x42 with a FRP if the supportdevice really works in  such a good way as people say and it really can deliver more or less the  same stabile views as an IS binocular.

Anders Asp

No I have not compared them, but did so with the Canon IS 10x42 L and Swarovski EL 10x42. The EL had a nicer crisper view, but with more shake. Now with the FRP the gap in shake is about halfway to 3/4 closed, depending on how you use them and how high in the sky you observe. Image quality in the NL is better than the EL and much better than the Canon IS 10x42. Of the 10x and 12x NL models, the 10x is better, whereas the 12x is stretching the optics a bit far.

• Grimnir and coz like this

#143 Anders Asp

Anders Asp

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Eskilstuna, Sweden

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:55 PM

Sounds great, thx for the info.

I need to get to the binoshop and try em out , they r for sure a nice pair of binos, expensive but nice and I kinda like nice =) .

#144 Zagnorch

Zagnorch

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:22 PM

The NL 12X42's landed today along with the forehead rest.  CA is on fire but today is surprisingly clear.

Comment 1.  I have deep set eyes and do not wear glasses.  I find that the forehead rest will not retract toward the binocular enough to allow it's comfortable use.

Comment 2.  8X or 10X might be a better choice over the 12X.   I find the eye placement challenging on the 12X42's.  I use the WX 10X50 every day and it's easier to position than the 12X NL's.

Comment 3. The mysterious field stop mentioned in the release is just a regular field stop.  The NL has a greenish tinge around the edge and the WX has a bluish tinge. 

Comment 4. The 12X NL's stay in focus right up to the field stop.  

More later...  

Edited by Zagnorch, 18 September 2020 - 05:24 PM.

• ihf likes this

#145 Full Sun

Full Sun

Messenger

• Loc: NOTL, Ontario

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:23 PM

I have had my 8x42 out a couple of more times. I had no absolutely no desire for the headrest and thought I could eliminate the idea of it @8 power, however I have ordered it. My shake with terrestrial  use is fine but under the stars- at night- too distracting. It should improve things quite a bit, with comfort and micro vibration in mind. Also,  I am sure it will be very useful during days when there is any level of wind, or with eye glasses on. 
I find the focuser a little too loose for me but that it is setting that is just not to my spec, however between the wide field and quick precise focus, I think these are the quickest binocular I have ever had-to find the target and near instant focus. No, it is the quickest!  It’s kinda of feels like you aren’t going to lose many nature sightings as you are on it and finely resolved in no time flat. Of course you can do this with only one hand as well .
 I am not in love with the idea that I spent so much money to buy these, as I may have been chasing to latest shiny object, but I do find them quite innovative and of course Swarovski is simply legendary for quality.

Edited by Full Sun, 18 September 2020 - 07:57 PM.

• Swedpat, Erik Bakker and Paul Morow like this

#146 Doug D.

Doug D.

Gemini

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:55 PM

I’m still quite pleased with my 10x42 NL after several days of use around the house. The forehead rest showed up yesterday and I had some time to try it out.  It further attenuated shaking as Swarovski promises - comparable to reduced shaking I perceive using my 8x32 Nikon SEs. I need some more optimization time to work on my grip and adjust eyecups and headrest but I think I can reduce shake even further with improved technique. The forehead rest does work, no question; it isn’t a day and night difference perhaps but I think well worth it - on the 10x and 12x in any event.

It is tougher to fit the 10x42 NL in its case with forehead rest attached but that is a minor quibble. 

• Erik Bakker likes this

#147 Grimnir

Grimnir

Apollo

• Loc: London, England.

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:27 AM

No I have not compared them, but did so with the Canon IS 10x42 L and Swarovski. The EL had a nicer crisper view, 

Erik - very interesting - would you please expand on this? Would you please describe how the EL had a nicer crisper view?

Graham

#148 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Administrators

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:11 AM

Erik - very interesting - would you please expand on this? Would you please describe how the EL had a nicer crisper view?

Graham

Everything about the view in the EL was better, just (much) more shaky. High end optics without stabilizer vs medium-high end optics with a image stabilizer in the light path. Where the stability is of paramount importance to the user, or it's lower price tag is helpful, get the IS 10x42. Where the best optics and lifelong enjoyment can do without help of a stabilizer, get the EL or nowadays the NL. And the latter can close the stability gap quite a bit with the FRP forehead rest. Plus they are a great joy to use and don't need batteries.

• Full Sun and ianatcn like this

#149 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:53 AM

I cannot imagine a greater recommendation for the NL 10x42 than this.

I'll be very interested to read your findings on the headrest when you have it Erik. My guess is that it will work well for astronomy.

Graham

indeed.

That is a very strong endorsement to the quality of the NL. So far my experience with Swarowski is borrowing the EL 8.5x42 from an acquaintance.  I need to find an NL around to try it!

Carlos

#150 Grimnir

Grimnir

Apollo

• Loc: London, England.

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:45 PM

Everything about the view in the EL was better, just (much) more shaky. High end optics without stabilizer vs medium-high end optics with a image stabilizer in the light path. Where the stability is of paramount importance to the user, or it's lower price tag is helpful, get the IS 10x42. Where the best optics and lifelong enjoyment can do without help of a stabilizer, get the EL or nowadays the NL. And the latter can close the stability gap quite a bit with the FRP forehead rest. Plus they are a great joy to use and don't need batteries.

Ah - I thought you meant the EL had a crisper view than the NL!

Now I understand your comment - I'd take the EL over the Canon any day.

Graham

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics