•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Have the Voyagers entered interstellar space or what?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 VeraZwicky

VeraZwicky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nashville, Tennessee

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:44 AM

The JPL website is claiming the Voyagers have left the Heliopause and are now in interstellar space but I read other confusing reports that they are still in the boundary zone. Also, I was curious if the spacecraft had encountered the solar systems' bow shock yet.  Any informed opinions are appreciated.  

#2 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:52 AM

I thought I heard the V-ger had left the solar system     ….

#3 spereira

spereira

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:03 AM

Moving to Science, Astronomy & Space Exploration, for a better fit.

smp

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:08 AM

Most likely the grey region where feathered semantics and feathered physics meet. As nebulous as trying to define the boundary between the lake and the marsh, troposphere/stratosphere, yellow/green, solar cycle 24/25, happy/sad, prehistoric/historic... some/most (?!) things don't have abrupt transitions in space, time, quantity, or affect. The sun's envelope of dominant influence is one of those.    Tom

• llanitedave, BFaucett, JamesMStephens and 2 others like this

#5 Sleep Deprived

Sleep Deprived

Ranger 4

• Loc: Seattle Area

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:41 AM

What TomDey says.  Right now, you could find one guy (scientist) say one thing and another say the other thing, and no neither is wrong.  Or, neither is right depending on how you look at it.  I am a black and white guy - and sometimes things aren't black and white.

• TOMDEY likes this

#6 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:46 AM

Crossed the heliopause (most consider once past that you are in the INTERSTELLAR MEDIUM.  However - the Voyagers are still within the outer boundaries of the solar system (within the "ORT CLOUD", etc.)  

Mike      

#7 JohnBear

JohnBear

Messenger

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:54 AM

Let's just say that they are currently in the process of entering interstellar space. Due to their relative(istic) slow speeds it may take a few more decades to say with a great deal of certainty that they are truly in "interstellar" space. 

Is anyone else interested in starting a GoFundMe campaign for warp drive development? 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics