•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rough mount setup toward Polaris

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jrpavlock

Jrpavlock

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:11 AM

I have an EQ6R Mount with a polar scope installed.

I found that I can use the Sky Scan app on my iPhone to roughly orient my mount toward Polaris to begin a polar align. The app gives you a picture of the heavens day or night, using the camera in your phone. You can simply touch the camera of the phone to the mount's polar scope and it shows you on the iPhone if Polaris is within the scope's range. This enables me to position the mount roughly so using the fine tuning alt/as knobs for a polar alignment are within reach of Polaris when I'm looking through the scope. Works for me.

Attached Thumbnails

• D51C9B66-7ED1-4ED1-AE7F-5076CFBA4124.jpeg

Edited by Jrpavlock, 30 June 2020 - 02:19 PM.

• NYJohn S likes this

#2 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:03 PM

I too have this mount.

I suppose your method is useful if you take the mount a long distance from your viewing location.

Me? The AZ on the EQ6R is adjustable to about 5 degrees left and right.

My PA alt changes VERY little unless I move a long way N-S of my current location.

Even mag north gets me plenty close; look thru the polar scope and Bam!..There is Polaris.

#3 Jrpavlock

Jrpavlock

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:16 PM

I too have this mount.
I suppose your method is useful if you take the mount a long distance from your viewing location.

Me? The AZ on the EQ6R is adjustable to about 5 degrees left and right.
My PA alt changes VERY little unless I move a long way N-S of my current location.
Even mag north gets me plenty close; look thru the polar scope and Bam!..There is Polaris.

#4 Jrpavlock

Jrpavlock

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:18 PM

True. If you don't move from the backyard, you sort of know where Polaris generally is. Ive also marked circles on my roof decking to place the tripod legs.

I do find the compass on my phone isn't that accurate. Mag north seems to different a few degrees from true north/Polaris.

But I've taken my mount up to Cherry Springs. The latitude is a degree different.

Edited by Jrpavlock, 30 June 2020 - 02:20 PM.

#5 Andrekp

Andrekp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:11 PM

All of these problems were solved long before there was technology to solve them.  Look up drift aligning.

#6 darkcloud

darkcloud

Explorer 1

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:54 PM

"I do find the compass on my phone isn't that accurate. Mag north seems to different a few degrees from true north/Polaris"

Yes, magnetic north is not the same as true north.  Depending on where you are, the difference can be several degrees.  Furthrmore, the amount of deviation changes.  When using a compass to align the scope, this deviation must be taken into consideration.  Here's a calculator that can be used to find the deviation at your location:

https://www.ngdc.noa...clination.shtml

Edited by darkcloud, 04 July 2020 - 08:58 PM.

#7 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 05 July 2020 - 11:08 AM

For visual use, just use a Walmart compass...forget the difference between true & mag north, it'll be close enough.  For imaging, get down on your knees and use the polar scope for it's intended purpose.

#8 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:35 PM

Imagine if you can an EQ mount without a polar scope. Shocking but they exist and continue to be sold to the unwary. Some of the owners, grizzled, tough, hearty and heroic,  can set up such a mount with useful accuracy. They have knowledge of the mysteries, of deviation and declination, of variance and of the CP and old gods who point the way. They have secret handshakes and meet in the setting circle. Another band, softer, but still manly have and use the mysterious polar scope. The top ranks of both groups disdain electricity. Clockworks, brass gears and falling weights adorn their temples. They sneer at lesser men. The Old Ways are best

But civilizations inevitably weaken, ideals are compromised and then lost. Men become week and want ease and comfort, not for them is the bowing the back and bending the knee before the sacred Polar Scope. These decedent creatures, hardly deserving to be called men, court Electra, and the Solid State. They spend vast fortunes on cunning devices that find, point and follow. They disparage the old ways, and sneer at the old men.

Culture war! 

• paul m schofield likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics