•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Splotch on Darks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ParagPA

ParagPA

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:18 AM

Hello,

I'm seeing a splotch on my darks, and I'm not sure what's causing it. This is a modified T3i. 

The darks are at ISO 1600, and 180 seconds. 

I took my darks during the day, outdoors, under a covered patio, with the camera attached to the telescope and the (metallic) telescope cover on. 

What's strange is the effect gets worse over the entire sequence. 

I've attached a sample image from the middle of the sequence, and an image of the entire sequence, showing how the noise increases substantially over time. 

Is this normal due to the camera body heating up from continuous image acquisition? 

Dark 1 s.jpg

Sequence 1.jpg

#2 endlessky

endlessky

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:28 AM

I would say it's due to increase of temperature of the camera.

I think that, due to the fact that you cannot control the temperature of DSLRs, taking darks might actually make things worse, rather than help.

• nyairman and ParagPA like this

#3 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:30 AM

Is this normal due to the camera body heating up from continuous image acquisition?

Could be Amp Glow.... Take another sequence with camera in a dark room and lens cap on, preferably even in a dark desk drawer. Note: External light can seep/leak in as well if darks are taken under light conditions (...not recommended). Regards

Edited by mmalik, 30 June 2020 - 11:31 AM.

• ParagPA likes this

#4 ParagPA

ParagPA

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:31 AM

I would say it's due to increase of temperature of the camera.

I think that, due to the fact that you cannot control the temperature of DSLRs, taking darks might actually make things worse, rather than help.

Interesting - I haven't heard that in the past. I'll also try stacking without darks and see what looks better.

I did go back and look at some ISO 800 darks I've captured in the past, and don't see this. This is my first time at ISO1600 and I wonder if that's substantially increasing the noise. 

#5 endlessky

endlessky

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:29 PM

From my understanding, noise increases very rapidly with temperature and if you don't match within a few degrees the temperature of the lights with the temperature of the darks (pretty much impossible without a cooled, temperature controlled camera), the calibration can actually hurt the final result, instead of making it better, since the noise levels of the lights and the darks will not be the same.

• ParagPA likes this

#6 Bill G.

Bill G.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newton, NC USA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:34 PM

FWIW, when I was using a camera that had high amp glow, I would put a 90s cool down time in between exposures. It seem to allow the camera to stabilize rather than getting hotter and hotter. There's an argument to be made that the loss in imaging time was worse than the amp glow... but not in the case of my old Canon 300D. Amp glow would get pretty significant. In any case, seemed to help for me.

Bill G.

• ParagPA likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics