•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Super light G&G

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 2696

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:32 AM

Hello, I'm looking to put together a really light G&G or travel setup. I'm going to be using an AT72EDII and I plan on mounting it on a Stellarvue M1V and a Benro Go Plus. I'm sure the M1V can handle the scope but I just want to make sure this tripod will support everything well. Will this tripod get the job done or should I reconsider? I'd like to hear your opinions, thanks.

Here's the tripod..

https://www.bhphotov...inum.html/specs

#2 Hesiod

Hesiod

Soyuz

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:53 AM

I use an even smaller tripod

https://www.manfrott...kbfrta4cam3-bh/

which is adequate for long exposure AP with the Polarie and FL55ss (may figure a total load of ca 4kg between camera, refractor and tracker). Folding into 40cm is pretty handy for travel.

Sadly the tripod is only available as kit* with a diminutive, but very decent, ballhead (it is perfectly adequate to handle my 66/400ED if tilted at 90°; however the RC2 quick-release mechanism makes somewhat hard to balance the tube, and would not be possible to use a binoviewer or 2" stardiagonal/eyepieces).

Since your tripod is rated for even heavier load, I presume it could serve you well; and in any case, for the sake of lightness, a certain degree of compromise may be worth

*the 1.5kg figure refers to the whole kit, 300g being the ballhead

#3 2696

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:07 PM

If you use yours for AP and it's solid then I'm sure this one will be good for me.. Weight isn't too much of an issue for me so I don't mind carrying an extra half pound or so if I can get a taller tripod. Thanks for your input.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics