•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C8 EdgeHD imaging train

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:32 AM

Real quick question about what most folks are using for imaging with an EdgeHD scope with the .7x reducer.

Right now my train is OTA > Reducer > T-adapter > spacers > camera, all threaded connections.  

I've read a few threads suggesting a more practical setup is OTA > Reducer > T-adapter > 2" SCT click-lock (or similar) > 2" nosepiece > spacers > camera.

The latter would be easier for rotating the camera, and some say the threaded connections are more prone to coming loose when slewing.  Looking for some pros/cons of each, and maybe some other even better setups.

Thanks!

#2 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:40 PM

I've been imaging for a couple of years on the C11 EdgeHD with your current train: OTA > Reducer > T-adapter > spacers > camera, all threaded connections, EXCEPT that I have a filter wheel which makes rotating the camera easy.  Not sure it you can see through the cables on the pic but this setup is very stable and easy to work with.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0229.jpg

#3 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:28 PM

Well... it won't be relevant to *you*, but my Edge HD + reducer config is:

Edge HD <= Reducer <= Moonlite CHL 2.5" <= spacer <= OAG <= spacer <= FW <= camera.

Without the Moonlite it would be the same but with an extra adapter/spacer in its place to bring the distance from reducer to camera sensor to 105mm.

#4 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:26 PM

I've not heard of any screw-on connectors loosening during slewing.  That's just a case of someone not tightening them enough.  And regardless of your connection types, it always a good idea to check over everything on your rig for looseness from time to time.

My opinion is that the 2" nosepiece connection is a weak link in any imaging setup.  Sometimes they are necessary, but I prefer all screw connections whenever possible.

-Dan

• GoldSpider likes this

#5 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:04 PM

I've not heard of any screw-on connectors loosening during slewing.  That's just a case of someone not tightening them enough.  And regardless of your connection types, it always a good idea to check over everything on your rig for looseness from time to time.

My opinion is that the 2" nosepiece connection is a weak link in any imaging setup.  Sometimes they are necessary, but I prefer all screw connections whenever possible.

-Dan

I was hoping to hear that threaded connections are fine.  Thanks for confirming.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics