•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Good Pentax Poros?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 slingworks

slingworks

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Appalachian Ohio

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:06 PM

Happened to be at a small junk shop yesterday and looked at a pair of Pentax bins...(Nothing special).

Other than the big 7x50 Marine Bins, did Pentax ever make a really excellent binocular?  Mainly curious regarding poros.

#2 Yarddog

Yarddog

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:16 PM

In the 90s or so, for some reason, Pentax had a great reputation among hunters. Well at least with hunters I knew. They were very good but probably not as good as their perceived quality.

On the other hand they have produced some which were about as good as it gets and priced appropriately. I don't recall ever seeing a poor Pentax.

#3 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:51 PM

I have a pair of 16x60 that are well made, nice focuser, twist up eyecups that don't fall down and puts up very nice images.  nice bino, except for the 2.8*  FOV.  if you don't mind that, it's a good bino.

• hallelujah likes this

#4 Riz

Riz

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:51 PM

I own a pentax 16x25ucf almost 15years old, a small handy bin and really easy to carry. Still in collimation and views are excellent for such a small bino and now i am planning to buy pentax 20x60 soon. What I really like about pentax is the build quality and optics that gives really sharp edge to edge images at price thats hard to beat.
  • hallelujah and Nate1701 like this

#5 randcpoll

randcpoll

Vostok 1

• Loc: New York

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:46 PM

I have a pair of old 12x50s that are pretty nice. Not fabulous, but nice. I use them around the house for wildlife.

#6 DrJ1

DrJ1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:09 PM

In the 90s or so, for some reason, Pentax had a great reputation among hunters. Well at least with hunters I knew. They were very good but probably not as good as their perceived quality.

On the other hand they have produced some which were about as good as it gets and priced appropriately. I don't recall ever seeing a poor Pentax.

In the 1990s, a friend who was a nationally-ranked benchrest shooter had an excellent Pentax spotting scope that was almost as good as his Swarovski spotting scope.  This stimulated me to look at Pentax binoculars at Ritz camera and I was very impressed with their 8x43 and 10x43 of that era.

I also have the Pentax 16x60s porros and they are sharp and tough to beat in its price range.  DrJ1

• hallelujah likes this

#7 slingworks

slingworks

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was more curious when it comes to smaller porros like the 8x30, 7x40, 7x35, etc.

Seems like every maker has some legendary models, Leica Trinovid, Swarovski Habicht, Nikon E....Kowa Prominar, Bushnell Rangemaster, B&L Elite, etc.  Pentax....????

I've only owned one Pentax bin, a DCF WP 8x42 Roof.  It was a real let down.  Narrow, lots of distortion, curvature and CA.  At the time it was pretty expensive. I did like the feel of the build though.

DrJ1, I've used Pentax spotters a couple times.  I have the feeling they're built by the same contractor that made the Bushnell Elite HD 80s. I briefly had an Elite HD 80 and sold it pretty quickly. It was ok, but I found my Kowa TSN 82SV (Plain Glass) to be slightly better.

Those old Swarovski scopes from the 90's are pretty good even with plain glass.  I shot mostly Highpower Service rifle and in our realm the Kowa was king.  Those benchrest shooters tend to spend more money on the sport. smile.gif

Edited by slingworks, 01 July 2020 - 07:59 AM.

#8 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:24 AM

Pentax tends to offer many 

moderate field of view, high-precision, high-contrast binoculars..

There are exceptions, though.

To add a few more:

---Their "Whitetails Unlimited" series was put in many sports big-box stores,

and is not so great for contrast...shiny inner parts and not always fully multicoated.

Personally, I avoid those.

----Long ago, there was an "Asahi"(pentax) 7x50 produced, and a marine(IF) variant.

Since it has a "shiny metallic orange"  sheen to the eyepieces, many people

place it with the terrible monochromatic binoculars you see nowadays.

The price was low on a used one, so I bought, examined, and pillaged 

some 'shiny' Asahi 7x50s.  Fully achromatic inside, and with a pale green 

view, this trounces haze.   I plucked the eyepieces, and they can make a very useful

"aquamarine" filter  on a 30mm EP for telescope use.  The eye adjusts fairly

quickly for white balance, and they seem to be better

with reducing haze and preserving color

than something like a green filter.  A binoculars or as telescope EPs, handy

for messy conditions.

As new binocs, it's worth giving them a try in a live shop....

they vary though...yes.

Old Pentax marines tend to be on the quality-view side..

Edited by MartinPond, 01 July 2020 - 08:32 AM.

#9 Albie

Albie

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:43 AM

The Pentax PCF WPII porro was a good alternative to the Nikon Action Ex porro , a bit narrower fov but sharp across the field . I don't hear too much about them these days . Here are a few links to some CN user reviews , the first link for an 8x40.

https://www.cloudyni...-pcf-wpii-long/

https://www.cloudyni...pcf-wp-ii-r2398

https://www.cloudyni...ew/#entry440408

• hallelujah likes this

#10 DrJ1

DrJ1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was more curious when it comes to smaller porros like the 8x30, 7x40, 7x35, etc.

Seems like every maker has some legendary models, Leica Trinovid, Swarovski Habicht, Nikon E....Kowa Prominar, Bushnell Rangemaster, B&L Elite, etc.  Pentax....????

I've only owned one Pentax bin, a DCF WP 8x42 Roof.  It was a real let down.  Narrow, lots of distortion, curvature and CA.  At the time it was pretty expensive. I did like the feel of the build though.

DrJ1, I've used Pentax spotters a couple times.  I have the feeling they're built by the same contractor that made the Bushnell Elite HD 80s. I briefly had an Elite HD 80 and sold it pretty quickly. It was ok, but I found my Kowa TSN 82SV (Plain Glass) to be slightly better.

Those old Swarovski scopes from the 90's are pretty good even with plain glass.  I shot mostly Highpower Service rifle and in our realm the Kowa was king.  Those benchrest shooters tend to spend more money on the sport. smile.gif

I briefly had an Elite 70mm spotter and it was OK, not great. The Pentax I used was way better, in a differnt class.  I now use an older B&L 15-45x60mm spotter and it is excellent for its size.  This was the civilian model of the spotting scope adopted by the US Marine Corps. You are exactly right about serious benchrest shooters.  My friend has high-end Swarovski's on his hunting rifles! DrJ1

#11 slingworks

slingworks

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:44 PM

DrJ1 Those Elites are good for field/hunting use. They still seem pretty popular.

I have a later B&L...A Japanese 77mm ED spotter made in the mid 90s.  It takes Kowa 660 series eyepieces and is absolutely outstanding.

It's not quite as bright as my 823M, but I'd swear it's sharper.  I just wish they had made these in an angled version!

#12 Albie

Albie

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:29 AM

I totally forgot about BF which has a dedicated section for Pentax binoculars , be it roof or porro . Should be lots of info from users on various Pentax binos .

https://www.birdforu...splay.php?f=630

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics