•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are DeLite eyepieces truly a delight?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:37 PM

Been thinking about upgrading my current EP's. I've been considering the TeleVue DeLites. Those are at the upper limit of my budget at this time. Any input would be appreciated.

#2 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:43 PM

Absolutely!  Each is truly a delight.

#3 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:56 PM

I needed something for my binos with a decent FOV and good ergonomics.  picked up one 11mm (used) to see if I liked it in my scopes.  very nice, waited and picked up another and use them all the time in my APMs now.  very flat field, nice eye relief with glasses, no blackouts (2mm exit pupil) and just overall a delight to use.  my APM's are f5.5 so for something to work well in them, they have to be well corrected.  go ahead, you won't be disappointed.

#4 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:16 PM

Yes, they are superb.  I have a 6mm Delos and a 7mm Delite.  Except for magnification and slight FOV difference, the Delite is as good or maybe even a tiny bit better than the Delos.

#5 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:33 PM

I have (a pair) of the 18.2mm and love them. Also will be getting the older, discontinued classic TeleVue Radians very soon, which the Delites kinda replaced. I'll then line them all up and compare side by side and actually see the difference for myself / my eyes. Radians > 18, 14, 12, 10 Delites >18.2, 15, 13, 11, 9. I expect the Delites will easily win that shoot-out, but... you just never know. Could be that all nine will be so gratifying that... it may hardly matter/    Tom

• areyoukiddingme likes this

#6 SkyRanger

SkyRanger

Messenger

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:50 PM

Recently in my 178mm Mak my 18.2 DL was picking out finer lunar detail than my old favorite 17mm TV “smoothie” Plossl.  Seeing was fair to average.

I keep 4 DLs in a turret for use in my 120mm Apo for lunar viewing.

Personally, the only problem I see with DLs is that I don’t have them all yet.

Gordon G

• ckwastro, ewave and The Luckster like this

#7 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:09 PM

Been thinking about upgrading my current EP's. I've been considering the TeleVue DeLites. Those are at the upper limit of my budget at this time. Any input would be appreciated.

Yes - they are terrific - really.  But would need to know what you currently use.

I have full sets of Delos and Delites.  I use the Delites with my Portaball because balance is slightly more tricky with heavier eyepieces.  I use the Delos in my EQ mounted refractors and other telescopes.

I also have a full set of Nagler T6's - again used primarily with the Portaball because they are lightweight.  The Delites have replaced these (the NT6's) for the Portaball.

The Delites seem to be every bit as sharp as the Delos but smaller in size and FOV.  They are neutral toned and present very pleasing views.  I have seen some reports of blackouts, but once you get your eye position set there are no blackouts.

TeleVue will say the Delities are the natural evolution of the Ethos/Delos lines.  And, perhaps, that's true from a design standpoint.  To me, they remind me of vastly improved Radians.  

• ckwastro, russell23, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#8 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:25 PM

Yes.  The DeLites are outstanding.  If I could only have eyepieces from one line it would be this line. Contrast is exceptional.  They are supersharp and essentially perfect center to edge. 

And it really doesn’t matter which FL you pick.  They are the most consistently excellent line I have ever seen.

Edited by russell23, 30 June 2020 - 05:36 PM.

#9 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:34 PM

I wantd no diminishment of the excellent optics in my 4" apo, so I tried the 18.2mm, 11mm, and 7mm Delites when they came out.

My impression was they were sharp but not really sharper than some other excellent eyepieces.

But the contrast!  OMG.  Had I left a nebula filter on the scope?   Just really superb contrast.  It actually takes a bit to get used to it.

They're the closest TeleVue has come to a perfect eyepiece line (yeah, I collected them all).  Now if they just made some 2" ones in 20mm and longer.......

Edited by Starman1, 30 June 2020 - 05:34 PM.

• cuzimthedad, EverlastingSky, Astrojensen and 12 others like this

#10 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:51 PM

My eyepiece curve over the years

Stock plossl - TV plossl - 35 Panoptic - Type 4 Naglers - Type 6 Naglers - Ethos - Delos - Delite - Delite + Type 6 Naglers

There is the advantage of the Ethos field and Delos eye relief.

I have to echo what Don said. I feel the Delite to be the best eyepiece I have used overall. I’m also very happy with the Type 6 Nagler. And certain Ethos/ Delos that fit particular scopes or observing requirements.

I have moved past the “only Ethos” and “only Delos” years to the present “mostly Delites”

#11 StarWager

StarWager

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:52 PM

Delites are superb (at least the two that I use). Lightweight and sharp across the field. Excellent contrast and eye relief. Since you are on a budget, consider also Morpheus -- a bit cheaper yet much wider AFOV and still great eye relief. A bit bulkier though.

I second this!  Have started upgrading EP's, and first got a Morpheus 17.5mm a couple months ago.  Just this last weekend got a DeLite 7mm.  Love them both, and can't really pick which I like better.  They are about $20 different in price.  The FOV in the Morpheus line is 14 degrees wider, so it is a huge advantage.  The DeLites are smaller and only weigh half as much, if balance is a concern, and have a bit longer eye relief on the shorter focal lengths.  The DeLites also have an adjustable eyeguard height, which allowed me to make it the PERFECT fit for my glasses ... while the Morpheus eyeguard is a little awkward with my glasses.  The image quality/sharpness and color contrast is equally good in both in my amateur judgment.

• 25585 likes this

#12 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:59 PM

I have (a pair) of the 18.2mm and love them. Also will be getting the older, discontinued classic TeleVue Radians very soon, which the Delites kinda replaced. I'll then line them all up and compare side by side and actually see the difference for myself / my eyes. Radians > 18, 14, 12, 10 Delites >18.2, 15, 13, 11, 9. I expect the Delites will easily win that shoot-out, but... you just never know. Could be that all nine will be so gratifying that... it may hardly matter/    Tom

Don't waste money on the Radians. 

#13 laedco58

laedco58

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sandstone Minnesota

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:36 PM

Delites are on my to try list. My first premium eyepiece was my 10 Delos, I only have the one as I observe without eyeglasses, and don’t need the looong eye relief. Then I tried a 13 Ethos, and I was hooked. Now I’m a 17 and a 10 away from an entire set. Recently I ran across a 2.5 and a 3.5 T6 for less than I spend on gas to commute to and from work for a week. They rock in my 80 and 100 refractors without creating balance issues. I haven’t had the opportunity to try them in my Z-12 or my NP yet.

• payner likes this

#14 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:49 PM

Don't waste money on the Radians. 

Hi, 25585! It's not a waste. I'm stingy in many ways, but buying optics is not one of them >>>

I actually love to do comparative studies on every optical gizmo I can get my hands on! A number of years ago, I spent over $2000 on Star Diagonals, new and used, and then proceeded to measure wavefront, spectral throughput, centration, angular alignment, weight, optical length, Strehl, clear aperture, polarization... on each and all. Then I measured the spectral throughputs of myriad eyepieces, barlows, coma correctors, etc. Then telescopes, microscopes, interferometers, range finders, toy optics, theodolites, eye glasses, sun glasses, reading glasses, light bulbs, laser targets, window glass, bathroom mirrors, automotive mirrors, headlights, fireworks, paints, diffusers, eyeballs, satellites, camera lenses, gunscopes, ... giant Cornucopia of anything that isn't nailed down. I even intentionally built junky optics, on purpose, just to see how bad I could make them. Like the 500x25 telescope that I displayed at the Astronomy Club! About half of my fun projects were funded by the government, employers, or clients... the other half by me. The income from the funded ones more than made up for the cost of the hobby ones --- and everything else involved in living comfortably.

So, in that context, buying a couple dozen more (new and used) eyepieces --- just for the enjoyment of comparing them... is more than worth it... to me. I'm retired now, so no longer have easy access to spectrophotometers, interferometers, CMM machines, etc. But still get the itch to cob together metrologies. I will at least take the four Radians and five Delites out to the back deck and observatories... and ~see~ how they compare. Then I will know, first hand... how they rate... to me. Then toss them back into the spackling bucket... and return to the house to kick back and watch a movie. This is fun!    Tom

• John Huntley, Kutno, clivemilne and 6 others like this

#15 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:57 PM

to make it very simple, yes absolutely.

#16 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:59 PM

Yes - they are terrific - really.  But would need to know what you currently use.

I have full sets of Delos and Delites.  I use the Delites with my Portaball because balance is slightly more tricky with heavier eyepieces.  I use the Delos in my EQ mounted refractors and other telescopes.

I also have a full set of Nagler T6's - again used primarily with the Portaball because they are lightweight.  The Delites have replaced these (the NT6's) for the Portaball.

The Delites seem to be every bit as sharp as the Delos but smaller in size and FOV.  They are neutral toned and present very pleasing views.  I have seen some reports of blackouts, but once you get your eye position set there are no blackouts.

TeleVue will say the Delities are the natural evolution of the Ethos/Delos lines.  And, perhaps, that's true from a design standpoint.  To me, they remind me of vastly improved Radians.  

Currently my workhorses are a set of Orion EF Widefields. I personally think they are great for their price but as I stated I want to upgrade. I do have one ES 24mm 68* but I find it bulky and am not a fan of the wimpy eyecup. The Orions have an adjustable cup similar to the Meade UWAs and from what I've read so far on them, the TVs seem to have a similar design. They seem like they are a big bang for the buck.

#17 carver2011

carver2011

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:26 AM

The Delites are excellent. I have the 9mm and 18.2mm. When I get the funds I will get 2 more. I use them with an 8” SCT and a 5” Mak. TeleVue has a winner with this design. A big plus for me is they are affordable.
Regards
Ed

#18 25585

Cosmos

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:49 AM

Hi, 25585! It's not a waste. I'm stingy in many ways, but buying optics is not one of them >>>

I actually love to do comparative studies on every optical gizmo I can get my hands on! A number of years ago, I spent over $2000 on Star Diagonals, new and used, and then proceeded to measure wavefront, spectral throughput, centration, angular alignment, weight, optical length, Strehl, clear aperture, polarization... on each and all. Then I measured the spectral throughputs of myriad eyepieces, barlows, coma correctors, etc. Then telescopes, microscopes, interferometers, range finders, toy optics, theodolites, eye glasses, sun glasses, reading glasses, light bulbs, laser targets, window glass, bathroom mirrors, automotive mirrors, headlights, fireworks, paints, diffusers, eyeballs, satellites, camera lenses, gunscopes, ... giant Cornucopia of anything that isn't nailed down. I even intentionally built junky optics, on purpose, just to see how bad I could make them. Like the 500x25 telescope that I displayed at the Astronomy Club! About half of my fun projects were funded by the government, employers, or clients... the other half by me. The income from the funded ones more than made up for the cost of the hobby ones --- and everything else involved in living comfortably.

So, in that context, buying a couple dozen more (new and used) eyepieces --- just for the enjoyment of comparing them... is more than worth it... to me. I'm retired now, so no longer have easy access to spectrophotometers, interferometers, CMM machines, etc. But still get the itch to cob together metrologies. I will at least take the four Radians and five Delites out to the back deck and observatories... and ~see~ how they compare. Then I will know, first hand... how they rate... to me. Then toss them back into the spackling bucket... and return to the house to kick back and watch a movie. This is fun!    Tom

Hi Tom,

I absolutely agree comparing is fun! Ongoing with me too & my own collection is more good-old than new, "infinite diversity in infinite combinations" as Spock would say.

I tried Radians. Compared to Delites they are several classes below. In fact if not for the green writing, they would be as dismissable as generic Chinese eyepieces that sell for cheap on ebay.

Better to increase your Delite count. I enjoy comparing my Delites with Pentax XLs, Vixen LVWs and any other 60-65° eyepiece I own. Delites are made for bino-viewing, light, slim, easy for alignment, a success. Radians come from an era when TV was making Ranger & Pronto refractors, not at the company's best.

But I will be glad to read of your comparisons flowerred.gif

#19 sanbai

sanbai

Messenger

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:23 AM

I have (a pair) of the 18.2mm and love them. Also will be getting the older, discontinued classic TeleVue Radians very soon, which the Delites kinda replaced. I'll then line them all up and compare side by side and actually see the difference for myself / my eyes. Radians > 18, 14, 12, 10 Delites >18.2, 15, 13, 11, 9. I expect the Delites will easily win that shoot-out, but... you just never know. Could be that all nine will be so gratifying that... it may hardly matter/ Tom

Hi Tom,

Are those Radians coming from a lost, windy place in Kansas? ... :)

#20 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:48 AM

Hi Tom,

I absolutely agree comparing is fun! Ongoing with me too & my own collection is more good-old than new, "infinite diversity in infinite combinations" as Spock would say.

I tried Radians. Compared to Delites they are several classes below. In fact if not for the green writing, they would be as dismissable as generic Chinese eyepieces that sell for cheap on ebay.

Better to increase your Delite count. I enjoy comparing my Delites with Pentax XLs, Vixen LVWs and any other 60-65° eyepiece I own. Delites are made for bino-viewing, light, slim, easy for alignment, a success. Radians come from an era when TV was making Ranger & Pronto refractors, not at the company's best.

What you are saying about Radians now, will probably be said about Delites in 20 years.  BTW, I have one Radian, an 8mm, and it is excellent. 

• rowdy388 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#21 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:52 AM

Hi Tom,

Cool! That means my comparison should be comfortably easy to achieve, without having to get out my ~syntheitic eye~ camera that I concocted at work, back when I was working for the Night Vision folks. The history of that: We were constantly trying to improve and understand the NV viewing system, but in constant disagreement regarding good/better/best and rankings of various designs and (especially) individual serial # units. That's when I came up with the ~Synthetic Human Eye~ (SHE) to help us evaluated the performance of viewing systems (any and all kinds!), without the individual bio-human experts' affectives contaminating the quantifications, with their each-different eyes, brains, predilections and prejudices... especially one's natural tendency to rate one's own eyes and design "improvements" as most significant. SHE, on the other hand, is entirely disinterested. So, when the usual disagreements arose, we would simply conclude, "Let's see what SHE thinks!"  Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 72 synthetic human eye Tom Dey's invention SHE.jpg

Edited by TOMDEY, 01 July 2020 - 08:54 AM.

• Don Taylor, ianatcn, makeitso and 1 other like this

#22 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:19 AM

... Delites are made for bino-viewing, light, slim, easy for alignment, a success. Radians come from an era when TV was making Ranger & Pronto refractors, not at the company's best.

Don't be so quick to put down Radians, the Ranger and the Pronto.  Not everyone has experienced what you have. 

I have often been surprised at how well Radians deliver the goods; and have particularly good things to say about 5mm Radians in mono mode, and 14mm Radians in bino mode.  There are other Radian focal lengths which also perform very well.  It does not do them justice for you to dismiss them and discourage others from trying them. 

Having said that, DeLites are truly a wonder.  I highly recommend them to those seeking eyepieces that display bright images with high contrast and definition.      

Edited by Kutno, 01 July 2020 - 09:23 AM.

#23 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:26 AM

Thanks to all for their input. Greatly appreciated. I pulled the trigger last night and ordered the 18.2 mm. So I assume 4 weeks of clouds are in my near future...

Gabe

• ewave, Kutno, TOMDEY and 2 others like this

#24 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:23 AM

Hi Tom,
Are those Radians coming from a lost, windy place in Kansas? ... smile.gif

Yep! Turns out we fought the same war, at the same time, under the same seas. We military guys stick together. And these Radians really are BNIB, new-old-stock.

What you are saying about Radians now, will probably be said about Delites in 20 years.  BTW, I have one Radian, an 8mm, and it is excellent

I'm anticipating that I will be rating the Radians as Wonderful, and the Delites as Spectacular. Keep in mind that... not all that long ago... astronomers considered an uncoated negative singlet as good, and were in constant arguments regarding whether a Ramsden was really better than a Huygens. We got it good... very good... downright spoiled, actually!    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 73 early eyepiece types.jpg

• Astrojensen, rowdy388, sanbai and 1 other like this

#25 25585

Cosmos

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:51 AM

My Pronto is a sweet little scope. But, like Radians, has been bypassed by far better. But maybe the old needs to be tried to enhance appreciation of the new.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics