•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"Declining eyesight improved by looking at deep red light" - study

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:58 PM

"Staring at a deep red light for three minutes a day can significantly improve declining eyesight, finds a new UCL-led study, the first of its kind in humans". Interesting, turns out our red flashlights are more useful than expected.

(the actual study is paywalled). EDIT (forgot to put the actual link to media articles), see the link that Mike G posted below or https://medicalxpres...t-deep-red.html.

Edited by RazvanUnderStars, 30 June 2020 - 01:32 PM.

• BillP, Chris Y and Second Time Around like this

#2 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:09 PM

free version:

https://www.scienced...00629120241.htm

• Carol L, Chris Y and Second Time Around like this

#3 Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:14 PM

Very interesting indeed. Thanks both.

#4 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:14 PM

looks like there's a binoviewer in my future for the Lunt.  not practical to just work with one eye.   wife won't be pleased....

wonder if I can pass that off on my HSA account.....

Edited by Mike G., 30 June 2020 - 01:16 PM.

#5 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:31 PM

Ah, sorry, I forgot to post the actual link to the summary, I had read it and was searching for the study or a pre-print but no luck. 

#6 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:01 PM

Forget rose colored glasses. I'm getting a set of H-alpha ones.

#7 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:07 PM

I thought eating carrots improved your eyesight.

• Voyageur likes this

#8 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:37 PM

We were just discussing that here a day or two ago. Sure looks like marketing press-release-ish mumbo jumbo to me.   Tom

#9 Kevin Kretsch

Kevin Kretsch

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Paris, France

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:38 PM

We were just discussing that here a day or two ago. Sure looks like marketing press-release-ish mumbo jumbo to me.   Tom

Agreed!

Even without reading the pay-walled article, N=24 is too small a number for any meaningful result. And no, it doesn't cost $12 to make, and $12 retail would be a healthy profit margin. This is an advertisement, not science.

#10 charlesgeiger

charlesgeiger

Messenger

• -----

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:02 PM

I too think this would need to be peer reviewed.  I feel anyone staring into just any red light source for 3 minutes a day is a bit dangerous.  Sort of like injecting bleach but hopefully not as dangerous.  There would have to be careful examination of the light source, its wavelength, its intensity, and the distance from the eyes.  I could easily seeing someone mistakenly directing a red pet laser into their own eyes and causing injured retinas or worse.  The white light sources for helping people with depression disorder at least has a basis in fact and the white light source is supposed to be regulated.

#11 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:50 AM

I feel anyone staring into just any red light source for 3 minutes a day is a bit dangerous. 

Then you better not do any h-alpha solar observing with a P.S.T. or similar as they operated at 656.28 nm and this pilot study used 650nm.  I think the rest of us are just fine staring into our solar scopes for 3 minutes and more a day!  banjodance.gif

FWIW, this study was submitted to the The Journals of Gerontology in Feb 2020 and then published in Jun 2020, which is a monthly journal of The Gerontological Society of America that publishes within its covers the Journal of Gerontology: Biological Sciences and the Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences.  The publication requires peer review.

• Rollo and zipzipskins like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics