•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Camera/Finder adapter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dhayes68

dhayes68

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:34 PM

Hello,

I want to get into auto-guiding and was looking around at the bazillion options when I realized I have an ASI290 and a stock 9x50 finder scope from a Celestron EdgeHD8 I could probably make do with, and give it try without spending any real money. smile.gif

1. I assume I'd remove the nose piece from the ASI290, and the eyepiece from the finderscope since that's where the threads are. Is that correct?

2. With both pieces removed, the specs for the ASI says the camera threads are M42 Female and for the finderscope is (waiting to hear from Celestron on his) so I just need a male to male M42 to XXX adapter? Would that work just camera/adapter/finderscope?

3. Am I forgetting something? My mount and camera both have ST-4 ports so that should be good, right?

Thanks!

#2 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:17 PM

Does the finderscope support a 1.25" eyepiece? If so, you can just remove the EP and insert the camera. However you may have problem in focusing. Instead of getting adapters, extenders etc., why not just buy a $79 Orion 50mm guidescope where the 290 will happily slide in, and save yourself the experimentation while retaining both finderscope and guidescope?

• dhayes68 likes this

#3 dhayes68

dhayes68

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:11 PM

Does the finderscope support a 1.25" eyepiece? If so, you can just remove the EP and insert the camera. However you may have problem in focusing. Instead of getting adapters, extenders etc., why not just buy a $79 Orion 50mm guidescope where the 290 will happily slide in, and save yourself the experimentation while retaining both finderscope and guidescope?

No, I have to remove the eyepiece of the Finderscope. And yes, I was worried about focusing. BUT experimenting can be fun when cheap lol.gif  And yes if the adapter is over 25 bucks I'll probably just get the Orion.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics