•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CEM25P hand controller bypass?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pbmazda32

pbmazda32

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Alabama

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:16 PM

Ioptron CEM25P mount. Is there anyway to bypass the hand controller and plug the mount directly into my laptop? I love the mount, but the hand controller hasn't been reliable since I bought it. Ioptron doesn't seem to concerned about it. I always use my laptop so the hand controller is just kind of annoying hanging there all the time.

#2 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:26 PM

You could use the SkyFi WiFi connector to connect to your laptop.  I use it to let me control my CEM25P with iPad and SkySafari.  It works great.  It bypasses the hand controller, except that SkySafari does not align the CEM25.  You have to use the hand controller for alignment, then let SkySafari take over.

Clear Skies.

#3 scadvice

scadvice

Vanguard

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:33 PM

I also use the Skyfi WiFi have for near two years now as eyeoftexas said still use the controller for alignment.

#4 pbmazda32

pbmazda32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:51 PM

I align with the laptop cause the controller rarely works. Thanks, I'll look into it

#5 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

I align with the laptop cause the controller rarely works. Thanks, I'll look into it

What happens when you try?

#6 Tom3

Tom3

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:56 PM

Since I use my laptop for PoleMaster, I later use the laptop with SkySafari to control the mount.

Tom

#7 pbmazda32

pbmazda32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:12 AM

9 times out of 10 the display doesn't work. The hand control is working cause I can use the direction buttons or the numeric buttons to control the slew speed. But other than that, I can't tell what to do with it because display is blank. On a tree night it does work, it will work correctly. I've gotten used to it not working and don't use it anymore, hence it's just kinda annoying to have it hanging there all the time

#8 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:16 PM

9 times out of 10 the display doesn't work. The hand control is working cause I can use the direction buttons or the numeric buttons to control the slew speed. But other than that, I can't tell what to do with it because display is blank. On a tree night it does work, it will work correctly. I've gotten used to it not working and don't use it anymore, hence it's just kinda annoying to have it hanging there all the time

If you want a direct cable (serial to USB) connection to the CEM25P, and not wifi, you have to go through the HC.  It doesn't have a port on the mount for a serial/USB connection like some of the other iOptron mounts have.  I know what you mean, I always had mine connected to the computer and never used the HC, so I made a little "case" for it out of a Crown Royal velvet bottle bag, and just kept it in there all the time so it wouldn't get dirty or banged up.  But it was indeed hanging there useless :)

#9 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:51 PM

I have used two separate hand controllers with my CEM25 and that has never happened once.  You should call iOptron on it.  This is not normal.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics