•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Meade LX-85 but one confusing thing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DXVictor

DXVictor

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clark, CO

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:20 PM

I just unpacked my new Meade LX-85. I hope it actually can manage more weight (rated for 33 lbs) than my Orion SkyView Pro (rated for 20 lbs). We'll see. It doesn't seem that much more robust. The SkyView Pro works very well but I have a C9.25 that once equipped is too heavy. But I digress.  

Here's what confuses me. On My SkyView Pro there is are calibrated scales that would easily allow you to manually navigate from object to object. On the LX-85 there is a floating ring on the R/A axis (on the back where the polar scope would mount). It is not attached to anything. It just floats around and has no connection to anything. It surely can't be used like the scales on the SkyView which can be set and then rotate as the two axis are rotated. I'm baffled. How can this ring be used for anything? Doesn't have to be attached to the R/A axis in order to help you navigate? There is of course no mention of this ring in the manual. What the heck is it for and how could be useful for anything if it's not attached and just floats freely? Oh yeah - there's a set screw that holds it in place. Not sure how that helps anything.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0769.jpg

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:37 PM

Personally I would not consider the LX-85 as HD enough to carry the C9.25. Maybe visually but that is it. When Celestron first put the 9.25 on a GEM it was a version of the Losmandy GM-8 (called the G-9 because it used the saddle of the G-11). Better off on a G-11 actually although I have used one on either mount.omething like an EQ-6/Atlas Pro would be better as you need something with a payload closer to 40-45 lbs. if you plan on doing any imaging.

#3 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

• Loc: Orem, Utah, USA

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:47 PM

I would assume it's for use in helping to align the polar scope so that it works correctly.

#4 Migwan

Migwan

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:13 PM

Not sure, but maybe so it can be set on known nearby object for increased accuracy.  Worked that way on a 2080 fork mount with wedge.

jd

#5 DXVictor

DXVictor

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clark, CO

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

If the set screw is set then the ring is locked in place. When the R/A axis is moved it remains locked in place. There is no associated pointer or any other device that might inform you of the R/A axis location. If it's not locked in place it just floats around. On the SkyView Pro both axis have well designed scales that can be set when you polar align and move with the R/A and DEC axis - this makes perfect sense and I've used it to navigate to objects using nothing more than a basic chart.

What ever this floating ring is supposed to do - it's certainly not obvious.

Regarding the mount itself - quite honestly it seems no different than the SkyView Pro in terms of robustness. It certainly falls far short of the Orion Atlas EQ-G. And then there are stupid things like the cover that goes over the rear of the R/A axis where a polar alignment scope would go -- just falls off. There doesn't seem to be much of anything that is designed to keep it in place.

So my bottom line is I fell for the hype thinking it would actually be a step up from the SkyView Pro. Nahh. It's already got several obvious design flaws. You don't even get a power cable with it. If I can return it - it's gone.

• EFT likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics