•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron 9.25 edgeHD camera ASI553MCP or ASI294MCP and HyperStar

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Korolow

Korolow

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:47 PM

Good morning 

I have been watching your forum for a long time, and there is probably no better one in our galaxy ;)

Today I decided to write to you and ask for advice.

I have a Celestron 9.25 edgeHD AVX telescope, I need to buy a camera for simple astrography. I use the telescope in front of the house, where there are no street lights 100-150m from my house.
I live in a small town (6000people) on the outskirts of the city (200.000people). BL for my street is class 4-5.

To start with, I need to buy a camera to photograph the moon (60%) DS (30%) Planets (10%)
At the moment I have a celestron 0.7x reducer.

I was thinking of buying such cameras: ASI183MM-P, ASI553MC-P, ASI294MC-P.
Here, where I live, the sky is cloudy in 80% :( so I don't have time like some of you where you have a clear sky for 300 days a year :)
Therefore, I would like to photo on the largest objects like the moon (which is not easy to photograph) and if the weather is good and the conditions are ok make picture simple objects DS (Andromeda)
I know there are no universal cameras for everything (for planets and DS)

That's why I thought about buying a color camera. I know this is not a good choice. I don't know if my sky and its pollution will let me use a color camera.
That's why I was thinking of buying a hyperStar for my celestron to reduce exposure time when photographing DS.
Is any ASI533MCP or ASI294MCP camera a good choice? but do you buy a monochrome camera for the moon and then use it for guiding and better buy it for DS? just a question which camera to buy if I buy a hyperstar.

Can you help something?

Best regards

Korolow 

P.S. sorry for my English... 

#2 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:00 PM

I would advocate for the 533 for its simplicity. It has no amp glow and very low dark current so you don't need to calibrate with darks and bias. You can use the much more simple flat and flat darks to calibrate any issues with dust/motes/finger prints in image train and any vignette.

The 533 is also versatile. You can use it for lucky imaging on planets and it works great on DSO targets. The larger pixels are VERY forgiving so "Decent seeing" aka "decent tracking" doesn't ruin your night. I've used my 533 for some lucky imaging on jupiter on my much smaller scope (and did ok) and lots of DSOs.

I use a cheaper asi120mc-s for guiding but it too can be used for planetary if desired.

ASI183 has very tiny pixels and would need longer exposures vs the 533. The 294 i don't know much about but but it's older tech and i believe it would require you to use darks/bias for calibration since its front side illuminated i believe it suffers from amp glow and high current.

If you clear sky time (and free time) is limited and you want color, I just can't recommend the 533 enough. Great camera. I hope the back side illumination, low dark current and no amp glow sets a new industry standard.

533 has 14 bit adc, nice deep well, easy to calibrate, and is quick to cool. 

Edited by sn2006gy, 30 June 2020 - 05:10 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics