•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Minor Progress, Boxborough, MA

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Toups

Toups

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Greater Boston Area, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:08 PM

Tonight, the town of Boxborough MA, amended it's lighting bylaw to add additional definitions and clarifications with respect to requiring dark sky friendly lighting.  Boxborough has had lighting ordinances on the books for quite a while and these changes were mostly definitions and clarifications of the types of lights that meet the requirements that were already part of the zoning bylaw.  The changes also did include a few enhancements.  In the definitions, IDA was mentioned along with the other technical definitions.  I state this is minor progress, since for the most part, these are not much more than clarifications of zoning bylaws that were already in force and the town does have decent bylaws in effect.

My understanding is that Boxborough's lighting ordinances were initially instituted due to the presence of Oak Ridge Observatory in the neighboring town of Harvard MA.  Unfortunately, this facility closed in 2005.  This site houses the largest telescope east of the Mississippi, the 61 inch Wyeth reflector.  I am unclear of the reasons for the closure but assume that the facility was no longer cost effective to operate, that light pollution was impacting its value and it was decided that pooling resources to use larger facilities in areas less impacted by light pollution was more attractive.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics