•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 6520

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hambone20

hambone20

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:40 PM

To me this object was a real stunner.  Just off the tea spout in Sagittarius a small globular next to dark nebula B86.  The darkness of the nebula really seems to bring out some extra wow factor.  I noticed a ring of stars in the globular with a bright white star in the center.  Off to the side of the nebula was a very yellow star with possibly some of the nebula scalloped out around it.  Anybody else have this on their "special" list?

• KidOrion likes this

#2 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:47 PM

Anybody else have this on their "special" list?

It is now!  Thanks for the tip.  I'll hunt for it next clear night.

#3 hambone20

hambone20

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:58 AM

I made a mistake on that original post.  Its a small open cluster not a globular.

#4 Araguaia

Araguaia

Vanguard

• Loc: deepest, darkest Brazil

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:01 AM

It is one of my favorites this time of year.  I usually start at the two globs in Baade's Window, NGC 6522 and 6528, just off the spout, and then sweep slowly at low power to NGC 6520.  The whole path is bright with stars and full of ink-black dark nebulas in gorgeous patterns.

• havasman likes this

#5 KidOrion

KidOrion

Vanguard

• Loc: Eugene, OR

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:42 PM

My own notes on the pair:

6/29-6/30/16
EUREKA RIDGE
MOON: 26 days (18%), rose at 2:42 AM
SEEING: 5
TRANSPARENCY: 6
SQM: 21.4
NELM: not checked
WEATHER CONDITIONS: temps in low 60s, moderate dew; slight breeze
OTHERS PRESENT: JO, RB

All observations: 12.5″f/5 Discovery truss-tube Dobsonian, 14mm ES 82˚ eyepiece (112x, 0.7˚ TFOV) unless otherwise noted

1:09
NGCs 6540, 6520; Barnard 86 (Sgr): 6540: non-globular-looking globular—about 1.5’, but not round, almost linear looking—extended P-F—grainy—has 12th and 13th mag star N of cluster by 1’—averted makes it a little more round—v. unusual looking globular—pair of 8th mag stars to P side, N and S by 12’—cluster forms isosceles triangle with pair—moving back P brings to NGC 6520/Barnard 86—6520: rich little cluster—central part is 4-5’ across—pretty detached from Milky Way—quartet of bright stars that run across bottom of cluster, two in central region of cluster, one almost in middle, one on P edge, one off F edge by 4’, one off P edge by 6’*—about 15 obvious stars and then a bunch of threshold stars that pop in averted—looks more like globular than 6540—three brightness gradients (quartet of brighter stars, then group of 12th/13th mag stars, rest fade into background haze)—B 86: elongated N-S—about 7.0’ x 9.0’—P side is darker—tendril of nebula runs along S side of 6520, but is less opaque than main part—to NP edge is 7th mag star—P edge of nebula has three other 11th mag stars that run along P edge, defining it—on N central side of B86 is 12th mag star just about on N edge—nebula like rounded triangle—*between that star and cluster is another patch of dark nebulosity that’s 4’ round, less opaque than rest of nebula—[spent several minutes searching for Djorgovski 2 with no luck]

There actually are two globulars nearby, neither particularly eye-catching: NGC 6540 (in my notes) and Djorgovski 2, which I didn't catch on that night but have seen several times since, in both an 18" and my own 12.5" Dob. Djo 2 isn't super-tough but is pretty faint. Once you find it, though, you'll remember where it is.

• havasman likes this

#6 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Vanguard

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:58 PM

To me this object was a real stunner.  Just off the tea spout in Sagittarius a small globular next to dark nebula B86.  The darkness of the nebula really seems to bring out some extra wow factor.  I noticed a ring of stars in the globular with a bright white star in the center.  Off to the side of the nebula was a very yellow star with possibly some of the nebula scalloped out around it.  Anybody else have this on their "special" list?

Years ago a friend and I nicknamed the pair the "mouse and mouse hole" The outline of the stars you mention visually looks like Mickey Mouse ears with the dark nebula his home. 

#7 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:45 PM

This one has been a favorite of mine for over 20 years. First discovered it when I lived in Chicago, observing at the dark site 75 miles west of the city. I always make it a point to see it at least once a year.

Here is a view through a 5" TMB 130 refractor, NV eyepiece, and 2.5x PowerMate using an iPhone X at ISO 400, 1/3 second exposure. A bit slow at f/17.5, but I wanted more magnification.

SkySafari shows globular cluster Djorg2 to the west, but I have not gotten a hint of it at this aperture. Probably heavily obscured by dust.

Attached Thumbnails

• B86 TMB 130 PF 2.5PM.jpeg

• j.gardavsky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics