•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Barlow lens / DSLR Setup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jjbroomco

jjbroomco

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:35 AM

Hello,
I want to attach my Nikon D5300 to my Celestron SE 6 and take photos of the lunar surface. I am brand new to all of this. I have the appropriate T-ring for my camera. Instead of a T-ring adapter, I have the Celestron Doubling Power lens (essentially a 2x Barlow) that comes with T-ring adapter threads on it.

I removed my camera lens completely, put the T-ring on the camera, connected that to the T- ring adapter threads on the doubling lens, which in turn connects directly to the telescope.

Is this the correct setup? I didn’t think it was possible to use a doubling lens by itself without a separate eyepiece. I watched a Celestron marketing video and this is how they set it up for DSLR use.

However, when I pointed the telescope at the moon, all I could see through the camera viewfinder or live view was solid, unfocused white. I adjusted the focusing knob on the telescope quite a bit, and nothing changed. So I am doing something wrong. I never saw the moon through my camera viewfinder.

Any suggestions?

#2 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:22 AM

Lunar imaging is a science of magnification no doubt. With that comes the long back focus. Most likely you don't have enough back travel to reach focus. Here... is a more robust magnification system (...not much familiar with what you are referring to). Hope this helps. Regards

Edited by mmalik, 01 July 2020 - 01:23 AM.

#3 Tulloch

Tulloch

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:38 AM

That system should work fine, but the focus point will be a lot different to an eyepiece - 20 full turns at least. You will have enough travel on your focuser, but you also need to reduce the ISO and shutter speed, you are most likely overexposed. Try ISO 100 and 1/200 sec to start (yes, the moon really is that bright) and turn the focus knob until you reach the end - if you haven't reached focus then you've gone the wrong way :).

Andrew

#4 jjbroomco

jjbroomco

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:35 AM

Andrew, this is exactly what I needed to know, thank you. I will give this a try and report back if I have any success.

#5 Bill G.

Bill G.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newton, NC USA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:13 PM

Also be aware, the focus may come and go very fast. So if your "twirling" the focus knob you can go right through it and never see it. Especially if you are using a slower video rate.

But Andrew is probably spot on and it's just saturated. (though I think he meant increase shutter speed (reduce shutter time))

Bill G.

#6 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:07 PM

I agree with everyone here.  Faster shutter speed and longer back focus is the key.  If you find that you cannot achieve focus with this setup, consider getting a T-threaded extension barrel.  I might also suggest if you haven't already try taking your shots without the barlow first to get practice with taking lunar shots.  You can get some really cool images of the moon this way.  One thing most people don't know or realize is the moon actually has some color to it from the different minerals on the surface.  These only show up in full moon images taken on really good cameras like DSLR's. As an example i have attached a single shot i took with a Canon rebel XS many years ago.  I cleaned it up a bit and enhanced the colors slightly in Photoshop but a really good photographer can probably take this without having to edit it.  Still it gives you an idea what you can do up front.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0255.JPG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics