•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to correctly fit my bresser mikrokular full HD webcam

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Leechacks

Leechacks

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:37 AM

Hi

I have an astromaster 130eq and I'm after advice of viewing with my bresser mikrokular webcam. This may seem silly but if I say want to view the moon or Jupiter or Saturn,to get the focus right would the webcam need to be further out of the 1.25 eyepiece hole or further in to gain focus as it's all very blurry and can only focus on close things like trees or a nearby roof. I'm probably not explain myself properly.its been cloudy skies here for over a week so can't get to practice with it. This is used in a prime focus method I have tried inserting the webcam in as far as possible and as far out as possible with a barlow lens but still can't achieve focus

#2 kevinrfrancis

kevinrfrancis

Vendor - Author- Skies over Virginia

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Hampton Roads, VA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:07 AM

You're talking about prime focus.  You're going to have to move the primary mirror closer to the camera.  This can be done by cutting the back end off the tube, or installing a lower profile focuser or do some 3D printing.

Here are some example links:

Prime Focus Article with YouTube Video.

#3 Tapio

Tapio

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:17 AM

Strange, even if it's problem with focus it should work with barlow.

#4 chummee

chummee

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:39 PM

Did you try to move the focuser instead of moving the webcam back and forth? Sometimes the webcam and eyepiece aren't parfocal, meaning that you have to readjust focus when you are switching between the two. 

Also, are you getting focus on distant objects with the eyepiece? If not, it may not be a problem with the webcam.

And try getting focus without the barlow. It can help isolate problem spots in the optical path.

Hope it helps.

Edited by chummee, 01 July 2020 - 01:44 PM.

• Leechacks likes this

#5 chummee

chummee

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:43 PM

Also, don't go and cut your optical tube. You are using the webcam as an eyepiece and are not using a dslr, which means you aren't adding distance in the optical path.

#6 Leechacks

Leechacks

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:52 PM

Hi guys
I discounted the advice of cutting my tele in half as a bit of a silly thing to do completely ruled that out in seconds. I have managed to get it working now but inserting the webcam into an old barlow lens case without the lens and have managed to obtain a image, it's quite blurry as it's around 10 miles away plus weather conditions not great, and only a small window of focus before it goes in and out of focus but I've read that a astronomy webcam acts like a high power ep, so hopefully when trying to view the moon and planets I will obtain a sharper image. Also could I use my 2x barlow lens with my webcam to get better magnification.

#7 Leechacks

Leechacks

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:53 PM

Ps I would attach a photo of the set up on the scope but cant post photos

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics