•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light Lunt LS100MT

solar tripod refractor optics mount imaging eyepieces equipment
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:39 PM

I initially started all this with a Coronado 90III single stack. I live at 8000asl in Colorado and seemed to barely get on band with the SMIII, it definitely did not seem to pass through the doppler band .  The CA was pretty unusable for visual observing or imaging. 

Next decided that a Lunt Modular would be more to my liking.  It took a few weeks but was happy and proud that Lunt would build and test a scope during this time in the covid.  I figure I am lucky enough to be working, Hydroelectric communication and instrumentation is essential, so I would share the wealth.   

I received the big box with the LS100mt, a second box is due to be delivered withing the next hour or so.  I modified my home made LX80 dovetail to fit the Lunt.  Mounted the scope and took a look.  The pressure tuner was still tuned much of the way in.  It only took a couple turns to get on band and another turn or so to pass through the Doppler band, 2 or 3 more turns to bottom out and all proms disappeared.  Very good views for sure with the 27mm and the 21-7mm zoom.  Next took off the solar single stack and feather touch focuser and put on the crayford and 45° terrestrial viewer.  I was pointed at a camping area a mile or so away. The focus was perfectly on a Ruby Throated Humming bird about 25 yards out, absolutly stunning color and clarity.  Racked the focus to a truck in the camping area and could make out the Colorado license plate and a man riding a bicycle wearing a mask.   Daytime Moon was pretty good.  Viewing was fair.  

Connected the Sony A7RIV by flipping around a 1.25" eyepiece mount from a projection adapter and screwing a Sony E mount bayonet on.  Focused through the Sony viewfinder.  The attached photo of the scope shows the configuration.  Vignetting prominently displayed in the snapshots from the moon and sun. Un-edited full res at 60 megapixel images on photobucket.   I am working with some 16 image raw pixelshift shots but at 2 gig per set it is a bit time consuming working with them.  That method may not work but thought I would give it a shot.  I think I can get rid of the vignetting by making a 2" to Sony E-mount, the bottle neck should then be the 34mm blocking filter in the filter stack.  I am very patently waiting, ahem, for the doublestack box to arrive via UPS.  Out For Delivery seems to turn into Encountered a Natural Disaster frequently at this altitude in Colorado, lol. 

So here are a few things on my short list. 

1. POE Gige 5 port hub for BFLY-PGE-50A2C-CS (not the higher frame rate black/white I wanted but was priced right and terrestrial use)  

2. Adapter for 2" to Sony E-Mount

3. 2" 34mm+ 2x and 3x or variable teleconverter (going to try the Sony GM 1.7 and 2.0 teleconverters I have in the camera bag)

4. 2" eyepieces, please suggest some good ones.  

5. New mount to support the 30-40 pounds of scope and track day and night for DSO/planetary astrophotography

Snapshots

Scope:

https://imgur.com/PEcyA0e

Sun:

https://i.imgur.com/7A1cD1F.jpg

Moon:

https://i.imgur.com/6KjliKj.jpg

https://s304.photobu...c2mikv.jpg.html

Edited by chemman, 01 July 2020 - 12:42 PM.

• BYoesle, rigel123, ammonthenephite and 2 others like this

#2 Hank Molesky

Hank Molesky

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tampa, Fl

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:11 PM

Congratulations on your 100 mm lunt!

• chemman likes this

#3 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:14 PM

Impressive scope, enjoy.  Curious, how does that solar finder work?  Do you look through it?

#4 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:35 PM

No. it is a similar to the TeleVue and Coronado silhouette dot finders, but cleverly integrated to also serve as a handle as well. waytogo.gif

• chemman and dhkaiser like this

#5 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:57 PM

Impressive scope, enjoy.  Curious, how does that solar finder work?  Do you look through it?

So it makes a real nice sturdy handle. Then I have found I begin to point the scope at the sun and watch the shadow of the clamps on the handle/finder and line the upper shadow with the lower clamp.  Then the red dot will be in the scope sight, center and done.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200701_132732.jpg
  • 20200701_132742.jpg

• Lost in Space, Phil Jones, Volvonium and 1 other like this

#6 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:06 PM

Interesting, thanks.

#7 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:09 PM

No. it is a similar to the TeleVue and Coronado silhouette dot finders, but cleverly integrated to also serve as a handle as well. waytogo.gif

No. it is a similar to the TeleVue and Coronado silhouette dot finders, but cleverly integrated to also serve as a handle as well. 

Bob, Any suggestions tuning the double stack in?  I pulled the feather touch focuser/bf34 off and plopped the second etalon kind of like a photo on the web site.  Seems much harder to get an image in the eyepiece (Lunt27mm) and very difficult to tune on band.  Yesterday using a single it was 2 or 3 turns before bottom and proms were strong too far they went away.  Today I don't really know which to start with.  Viewing was almost directly up so gave it a rest.  But it is waiting.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200701_140241.jpg

Edited by chemman, 01 July 2020 - 03:13 PM.

#8 bigdob24

bigdob24

Apollo

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:12 PM

I would suggest you tune the SS first and then install the DS and tune it until the view just brightens up and surface detail pops.

I would be interested in what you find with the red glow in this new model scope

• chemman likes this

#9 descott12

descott12

Vendor - Solar Live View

• Vendors
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:35 PM

Is that a real chicken?

• chemman likes this

#10 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:51 PM

Is that a real chicken?

Forget the chicken, what's up with the heads on the railing?!

#11 stryker66

stryker66

Mariner 2

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:48 PM

I would suggest get a better camera for that expensive scope if you want to image. ZWO ASI174MM is one of the high speed ones

• chemman and ammonthenephite like this

#12 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: behind you.

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:52 PM

very nice scope enjoy .cool.gif

• chemman likes this

#13 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Explorer 1

• Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:54 PM

That is a proper looking scope. The build has a "Televue" look to it.

I noticed a post by ccinbrainsurgery that mentioned the "rust" issue affecting Lunt blocking filter. It's evidently a very inexpensive part that is affected ($7) and is very easy to replace. I bought a few just to keep around. 

https://luntsolarsys...ocking-filters/

https://luntsolarsys...e-glass-filter/

Edited by briansalomon1, 01 July 2020 - 09:55 PM.

• chemman likes this

#14 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:57 PM

Any suggestions tuning the double stack in?  I pulled the feather touch focuser/bf34 off and plopped the second etalon kind of like a photo on the web site.  Seems much harder to get an image in the eyepiece (Lunt27mm) and very difficult to tune on band.

See this thread, particularly George9's experience with his double stacked LS80.

• Lost in Space, chemman and briansalomon1 like this

#15 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:25 AM

Is that a real chicken?

My wife loves that Buff Orpington, chicken was very sick almost dead chicken for two weeks while she nursed it back, it is my wifes favorite now of course, save the Jack Russell shorty back there.  

Edited by chemman, 02 July 2020 - 08:33 AM.

• torsinadoc likes this

#16 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:33 AM

Forget the chicken, what's up with the heads on the railing?!

They are just simply your ordinary severed head.  Well a collection by definition of severed heads, and well, posted along my railing of my wife and I's deck, you see.  Just simply some severd heads, that is all.  Initially they were for Halloween but my wife an I liked them so much we kept them around.  Being a mad scientist in a small town of about 25 or thirty on a lakeshore in the middle of the boondocks of Colorado i feel it is kind of fitting.   Especially if we light the column of fire deck heater.  Lol

Edited by chemman, 02 July 2020 - 08:44 AM.

• hopskipson, torsinadoc and NorthernlatAK like this

#17 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:27 AM

See this thread, particularly George9's experience with his double stacked LS80.

Thanks Bob that does help alot.

#18 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:37 AM

That is a proper looking scope. The build has a "Televue" look to it.

I noticed a post by ccinbrainsurgery that mentioned the "rust" issue affecting Lunt blocking filter. It's evidently a very inexpensive part that is affected ($7) and is very easy to replace. I bought a few just to keep around. 

https://luntsolarsys...ocking-filters/

https://luntsolarsys...e-glass-filter/

I really like the way the blocking filter is attached to the end of the etalon stack.  I really dislike having to image off of a diagonal.  

Converting it to filterless viewing is a breeze.  Three thumbscrews and that giant 50mm filter doublestack with ERF-2 etalons-blocking filter and who knows what wlse comes off and the Crayford goes in it's  place.  I need to thread the inner part of a Sony E-mount today so it will thread onto the 2"extension tube that houses the 1 1/4" adapter.  Going to see if i can determine the thread pitch and cut a proper tool from tool steel to cut the thread groove in the adapter.  Hope I can figure out how to set the lathe up for the right pitch.  This will be a real challenge, don't think they make a die to cut the thread atleast no one I know of.  I am sure it will reduce the vignette from the 1-1/4" eyepiece barrel connecting to the scope.   

Edited by chemman, 02 July 2020 - 10:09 AM.

#19 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Explorer 1

• Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:08 PM

I've been looking into cutting my own metric threads for a few weeks. Metric die head inserts are hard to find but here's one the seller says is M6X1mm. They look to me to be for cutting a range to sizes with 1mm pitch.

https://www.ebay.com...0YAAOSwKrhVXKWk

Here's another for single point thread cutting.

https://www.cutwel.c...point-threading.

#20 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:56 AM

I've been looking into cutting my own metric threads for a few weeks. Metric die head inserts are hard to find but here's one the seller says is M6X1mm. They look to me to be for cutting a range to sizes with 1mm pitch.

https://www.ebay.com...0YAAOSwKrhVXKWk

Here's another for single point thread cutting.

https://www.cutwel.c...point-threading.

Thanks Brian.  I typically just grind the tool I need from HS tool steel I have laying around but these threads are tiny grinds, ugh.  Going to your link and spending a few bucks will save me.  I sure like making my own tools though.  

I ended up using a piece of Schedule 80 grey PVC, the end with the coupling.  It was just the size to line up with the Sony E mount mounting screws from a 5mm extension ring I had laying around.  Had to wrap the pvc with just the right number of wraps of 500mph aluminum tape to get the proper fit in the 2"  focus tube on the scope.  Not a lick of vignetting, woohoo, now have a very nice 800mm telephoto prime and it works perfectly with the Sony G Master 1.4x and 2.0x tele extenders I have.   

Kind of dislike using plastic but the extender I stole the e-mount adapter is plastic too so go figgure.  My worry is when I mount the Zeiss trinocular I have adapted from my petrographic  microscope, that thing weighs twice the weight of my cameras.  Now I need to adapt a c-mount for the pgr to a sony e-mount, I will do that this afternoon.  

Edited by chemman, 05 July 2020 - 10:58 AM.

#21 Solarguy

Solarguy

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:55 PM

The new case foam makes it so much nicer to be able to keep it double stacked and not have to take it all apart. 

Bob, Any suggestions tuning the double stack in?  I pulled the feather touch focuser/bf34 off and plopped the second etalon kind of like a photo on the web site.  Seems much harder to get an image in the eyepiece (Lunt27mm) and very difficult to tune on band.  Yesterday using a single it was 2 or 3 turns before bottom and proms were strong too far they went away.  Today I don't really know which to start with.  Viewing was almost directly up so gave it a rest.  But it is waiting.

#22 GUS.K

GUS.K

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Katoomba, NSW, Australia.

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:44 AM

What size is the primary etalon, are they still 50mm.

#23 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:32 PM

The new case foam makes it so much nicer to be able to keep it double stacked and not have to take it all apart. 

I totally agree with that.  About half the reason I chose the 100 was portability, it fits in the back of the Xterra.  And it is all in the box, well and 1 box of extras.  

Edited by chemman, 12 July 2020 - 04:20 PM.

#24 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:42 PM

What size is the primary etalon, are they still 50mm.

The ERF in front of the primary etalon is 50mm, primary is 50mm, the DS etalon is 35mm and the BF is 34mm.

• GUS.K likes this

#25 chemman

chemman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:04 PM

I have been spending lots of time behind the eyepiece figuring out how to get good tune.  It is coming around.  Single it tunes real easy and is typically 2-3 turns from the bottom of the pressure tuner.  DS is still a work in progress.  

Edited by chemman, 12 July 2020 - 04:04 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar, tripod, refractor, optics, mount, imaging, eyepieces, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics