•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Polaris at the end of the night

beginner imaging refractor
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cyborg84

Cyborg84

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Andover, MN

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:09 PM

My setup took this picture at the end of a night of an automated sequence.

I'm pretty sure that my mount automatically parked before the end of the sequence and this is Polaris shining brightly just before dawn.

I cropped this image from the bottom center of the shot taken with (new) ASI183MM through my WO GT71.

What is going on with the strange shape of the star? 

Polaris_Light_L3_120_secs.png

Edited by Cyborg84, 01 July 2020 - 08:30 PM.

• ks__observer likes this

#2 jamesNewmanF125

jamesNewmanF125

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arvada, Colorado

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:33 PM

Hard to say (possible filter flip needed), but you definitely have some tilt given the way all your stars are diffused.

#3 Cyborg84

Cyborg84

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Andover, MN

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:48 AM

Thanks for mentioning the alignment - I think I got that straightened out now. grin.gif

I also figured out that the image I posted was just above ( just outside the field of view of the camera, but maybe still in the field of the scope ) a tree that blocked light from below.  Next time out I will experiment to see if I get the same effect when I partially block the light from below.

EDIT: and the sensor was rotated so the asymmetric starburst was closest to the bottom edge.

Edited by Cyborg84, 02 July 2020 - 05:03 PM.

• jamesNewmanF125 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, imaging, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics