•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

For Just visual: SW az-gti or Orion Starseeker IV wifi?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rydberg

rydberg

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Richmond, KY, USA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:03 PM

Hello everyone.  I'd like to return to the simple pleasure of visual observing.  But I have a bad back, so everything has to be light.

I got a couple of refractors (Vixen ED 80 and Explore Scientific AR-102).  The AR-102 is over 11 lb without dovetail nor 2" eyepiece.  On paper the AZ-gti payload is too small (max 11 lb), while the Orion Starseeker is adequate, but barely (Max 13 lb).

Just to keep it cheap and simple, is there a reason to chose one mount over the other?

Is there anything else in this range of weight/cost?  The Meade Lx65 looks intriguing but between head and tripod we are at 27 LB already! The Celestron SE mount (the big one, for 6" or 8" scopes) is an option too but I am afraid the straight up-down single arm may have trouble coping with my AR 102 (length...).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Marco

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:05 PM

AZ-GTi. Not even a question.

#3 rydberg

rydberg

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Richmond, KY, USA

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:30 AM

Ok, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.  Az-GTi head from First Light Optics, as I don't need the tripod nor the extension.  I have a large Tripod from Manfrotto (3246) that ought to do the trick.  I'll report when it gets here.

Marco

• eros312 and Augustus like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics